Exercising in a second story apartment

Options
Looking for suggestions on what kinds of exercises I can do on a rainy day like today when I can't get out for a walk. I have Tae Bo DVDs, etc, but I live in a second story apartment with fussy neighbors living below me, so kickboxing is out of the question. Ideas?

Replies

• dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ... they seriously complain about you working out during daytime hours? Lame.

What about yoga? Unless you fall over, it should be fairly noise-less, lol.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 crunches, in rotation with no resting- im super paranoid about making noise in my apartment.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Get a carpet and/or some padding to muffle sound, first of all

Do low-impact kickboxing (squats, lunges, kicks, pushups, land softly for jumping jacks
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com offers a free quiet cardio video, ideal for apartment dwellers.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Eventually my neighbors complained to the manager and the manager asked me if I could just exercise after 7am and before 7pm. So, now, I get on my treadmill at the strike of 7am most mornings. They can suck it if they don't like it. :wink:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For aerobic activity, go up and down your apartment stairs. Yoga is good, too. Here's a youtube video, an hour and twenty-five minutes long, that I've never managed to get through in it's entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D7qAQ720x8
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would just do what you want. It's the middle of the day. Are you sure they are even home?
  • katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've also had complainers for neighbors and know that life. Check out PiYo.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. That is what gyms are for.

Constantly irritating your neighbors is not appropriate.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get that some people have babies or work at night, but if you're in a first story apartment, you really can't expect people to hold up their very lives for your schedule.

If you want to do it the nice way, I'd write a letter or knock on their door and ask them if there's a time range when you could work out when you wouldn't disturb them. If you want to do it the slightly less nice way, I'd talk to the manager and inform them of the situation, then go ahead and work out anyway. It's within your legal rights to use your apartment during reasonable hours.

That being said, when I lived up on the third floor, I found that stair climbing was kind of a nice activity.

Edit - corrected to first story. That's one of the expectations of living beneath someone - said by someone who lived in a basement apartment for 15 years.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Wow I would see 7 am as way too early. I would say between 9 am and 9 pm is appropriate lol. But that is ridiculous anyway.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. That is what gyms are for.

Constantly irritating your neighbors is not appropriate.

Not everyone can afford gym memberships, but thanks for the suggestion.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually do two things - either do the stairs (meaning first floor to the top) or I hop on my portable stair stepper. The stair stepper has been amazing! It's a great way to burn some calories all while catching up on all of my favorite shows! I place it in front of my tv and go to work! Takes your mind off of the exercising - before you know it, you've had a pretty decent workout.

Good luck!
  • arditarose
    Options
    What about outside? Or better yet...Outdoor gym! Free! Do you have one?
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Walk in the rain.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh I forgot about the rain, sorry. I got excited about outdoor gyms.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Walk At Home....or any low impact cardio

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessa+smith+walk
    The titles with "power" or "interval" will not be low impact

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Strength training (not circuit training) will be quiet.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves jumping up and down will not be considered reasonable use of your apartment. That is not a normal use. Eat, sleep, store your clothes--yes. Use the space as an exercise studio--no.

Other people may need to sleep during the day, work from home, etc. You may have neighbors who are elderly or ill. It's not OK for the OP to disrupt the lives of strangers.

Planet Fitness=$10/month.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves jumping up and down will not be considered reasonable use of your apartment. That is not a normal use. Eat, sleep, store your clothes--yes. Use the space as an exercise studio--no.

Other people may need to sleep during the day, work from home, etc. You may have neighbors who are elderly or ill. It's not OK for the OP to disrupt the lives of strangers.

Planet Fitness=$10/month.

Well, if that's the case then people with kids who live in upper level apartments are SOL - because there's no stopping them from running, screaming, or jumping up and down in the middle of the day.

That's why I suggested talking to the people below first.

And yes, $10/month for a gym membership (in a not-so-great gym) is still "expensive" to some people.