Protein shakes aid weight loss?

Does consuming protein shakes or any high protein snack help with weight loss? I remember them always making me feel full which in turn would stop me wanting to eat so much.

And I'm going to the gym there times a day doing a mixture of cardio and weights so I guess it would help muscle growth? I always used my protein powders and they do a weight loss one....

Any info would be great!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    No.

Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Protein powders, shakes, whatever...supplement your protein needs. If you have trouble meeting minimums...add protein shakes (powders).

Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. Consume fewer calories than your body uses = weight loss. While eating at a deficit, muscle growth is highly unlikely (protein powder or not).
  • liambrennan123
    liambrennan123 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm currently eating in a calorie defcit, was just wondering! Cheers
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Maybe in the short term it MAY help, as long as you're in a deficit but... what happens when you stop drinking the shakes? For some I'm sure it resulted in gaining weight.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Was that a typo? Are you going to the gym 3x a day?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

adequate protein helps ensure that a larger portion of your weight loss comes from fat and less from lean muscle. If you don't get enough protein then shakes will help with that, or just eat more foods high in protein.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    It will be an aid in weight loss if it helps to keep you full longer - it does for me.... It is a good way to get to your protein macros also....
  • liambrennan123
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Was that a typo? Are you going to the gym 3x a day?
    Yes it was haha I wish I had that much free time a day...
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I have one for lunch often and they keep me satiated until supper, which is basically what you're saying, so if they keep you satisfied and not wanting to eat more, then yes, they can aid in loss because they may help in keeping a caloric deficit. That's the only reason I use them. Some folks seem against them but they do work for me in controlling my appetite midday (which seems to be when I do all my mindless snacking) .

I couldn't care less about gaining muscle. I use weights to try and keep what I have.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Maybe in the short term it MAY help, as long as you're in a deficit but... what happens when you stop drinking the shakes? For some I'm sure it resulted in gaining weight.
    Funny - I lost the bulk of my weight 8 years ago, and I still like a protein shake after my workout.... And it does not result in weight gain if you make it part of your daily calories......She is not saying she wants to live on protein shakes only, is she?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015

It depends what you mean by help. Does it make you lose weight directly or faster, then no becayse thats up to you being at deficit.

They can help you as an easy and soemtimes cheaper way to hit your protein goald if you are having difficulty hitting your macro target. Protein can have the side benefit for many of making you feel full, its also important to hit your protein goal as part of your nutrition plan. So yes it can be helpful.

Forgot to add I prefer eating real food and will only use supplements for convenience or if ive fallen short.
  • liambrennan123
    Im a guy just for reference...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I have one for lunch often and they keep me satiated until supper, which is basically what you're saying, so if they keep you satisfied and not wanting to eat more, then yes, they can aid in loss because they may help in keeping a caloric deficit. That's the only reason I use them. Some folks seem against them but they do work for me in controlling my appetite midday (which seems to be when I do all my mindless snacking) .

I couldn't care less about gaining muscle. I use weights to try and keep what I have.

It is more about maintaining the muscle you already have, not gaining.
    When losing weight you lose fat and muscle among other things, if your goal it so lose fat, adequate protein, a small (reasonable) deficit, and a progressive strength training program are required to maintain as much muscle that you have that you can, otherwise you will have a higher BF% at your goal weight.