Lifting after shots?

I'm a nursing student, but I definitely don't have an answer to this. I just went in and had blood drawn, a TB skin test, and an HPV intramuscular vaccine in my deltoid. I've been doing SL 5x5 and was wondering if I'm okay to lift tonight, or if I should put it off until Wednesday? Thanks!

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I'm curious too. I was always told it's best to move the muscles so they don't get sore. But I'm not sure about lifting. The blood draw and tb test should have no effect though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    depends on what you're lifting- and what you're arm feels like.

I donated blood and I was really happy I wasn't planning on lifting that day- my arm felt SUPER wonky and weird.

2 vials and a shot? I've still gone and lifted. But I don't do direct arm work really so a none issue.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    How much blood? If just a sample, you should be fine, if you donated a pint, you might want to wait until tomorrow.

I just had four vaccinations (traveling to Kenya in September) a week ago. I had one subcutaneous in my Triceps, one in my left delt and two in my right delt. I lifted that night, I figured I would rather be sore from lifting than from getting stuck. I was only sore for a day vs my usual three days after a tetanus shot.

I say go for it but listen to your body
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    It was only enough for testing, and tonight I'm doing squat, OHP and DL. Thanks for the replies so far!
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    I'm a PA-C Surgical Resident so here goes...without all the CoA protocols.

At worst you may get a small contusion near the injection site. This is typically caused by the puncture wound and vascular changes workouts (vasodialation/vasoconstriction) and blood pressure changes during a workout.

It is not serious. If they blew the vein it will be more bruising, but not detrimental to health.

• Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Those shouldn't effect you working out. You might be sore from injection but the blood draw is only about 10cc, less than a tablespoon.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I have no qualified answer, but I have to add that I completely assumed you meant shots - like tequila - and thought, "Well that's an interesting question."
    You shouldn't lift after donating blood, but the amount drawn for testing is probably negligible and won't cause any issues.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Very disappointed in this thread. I was hoping this was a whiskey & deadlifts type question. That's more my speed.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Very disappointed in this thread. I was hoping this was a whiskey & deadlifts type question. That's more my speed.

If it makes you feel better, last week I got wrecked on Fireball and lifted the next day.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I'm a nursing student, but I definitely don't have an answer to this. I just went in and had blood drawn, a TB skin test, and an HPV intramuscular vaccine in my deltoid. I've been doing SL 5x5 and was wondering if I'm okay to lift tonight, or if I should put it off until Wednesday? Thanks!

You'll be fine to lift tonight.

It was just a blood sample so you didn't lose much blood. The HPV intramuscular shot will definitely be sore. However, it's best to keep moving to reduce the soreness. You can take an anti-inflammatory if it is bothering you.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hasn't stopped me yet. Lifted ohp same day as a flu vaccination with no issues and have done back and bi's on the days my workplace draws a couple vials.
    But people are different. I've noticed my wife gets more bruised and sore than I do.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

If it makes you feel better, last week I got wrecked on Fireball and lifted the next day.

It does, thank you.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I give myself testosterone injections weekly and usually (but not always) do them the night before a rest day. On occasion I have given it the night before lifting (usually before overhead press) and I never have a problem. There might be a little soreness in the quad area when I tighten up everything but nothing major. I have never squatted or deadlifted after a shot and I might not be quite ready to do engage the quads the next morning.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Thanks all! I did lift tonight and felt no soreness out of the ordinary. Tomorrow may be a different story, but at least I won't have to lift then. :)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member

It does, thank you.

I looked to see if this was about lemondrop shots. Good to know you can lifts after both types of shots.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    loulamb7 wrote: »

It does, thank you.

I looked to see if this was about lemondrop shots. Good to know you can lifts after both types of shots.

It's been a helpful and productive day, for sure.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited July 2015
    Lab tech here. You are supposed to avoid heavy lifting for 24 hours after having your blood taken. This isn't because of the amount of blood that was taken, but because it can dislodge the clot on your vein and start bleeding again, or give a hell of a bruise. I know this is too late now, and I am glad everything went well, but for future reference and for anyone else reading. I am a "poor clotter" and I need to take it easy after getting my blood taken or else the venipuncture site will start bleeding again.