Hi! I'm new here- supportive friends needed!

Hi! My name is Andrea. I'm 29, mom of 1. I'm working toward a weight loss goal of 70lbs by my dirty thirty! I started on June 10th when I decided enough was enough. I've been yo-yo dieting since I was a teenager. I was never the skinny girl, but for awhile I was much healthier.. I married super young, divorced young then went through some trying times which had the emotional eater that I am packing on the pounds.

My bf had been pushing me to start making healthier choices for some time, almost a yr now that I had been pushing back. Then everything changed when I came across a movie on Netflix called Fed Up at which point I started researching about the foods myself and my family eat on a regular basis.I came across some articles that shocked me to say the least.. I then way watched forks over knives and at that point I decided I'm going to start focusing on my nutrition- Not just the weight. I lost my mom to cancer when she was only 45, her mother and father both had cancer and once I realized I have been basically feeding myself into the same for steps I knew I had to take control and here I am. :) I'd love to meet some friends for support and swapping vegan meals.

Replies

• socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Hey! I started on here needing to lose almost 70 pounds too! I have currently lost 33 so I could maybe help you if you need, feel free and add/message me :) I am 30 and a mom of 1 (6yo boy)... seems like we are in the same place except I grew up skinny, medication/depression made me gain all of this weight :( Only thing is, I am not vegan :( I try to eat as healthy as we can but can only do so much as far as $ goes and my husband wants *rel* food and I cannot live without at least a little cheese lol, I could possibly give up meats though at some point.

Good luck! Hope I did not ramble too much haha
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 168 Member
    I've been here off and on for the last three years. I had lost over 90 pounds, but gained 45 back after a bad year and a half. I'm back and focused now and looking for some supportive friends. Please add me so we can lose the weight to be healthy and happy!! I can relate to the husband wanting real food!!
  • domsmomm13
    domsmomm13 Posts: 5 Member
    Socialdchick- congrats on the 33lbs! That's awesome. My son is turning 9 in Aug.. funny we are in a similar boat! Yes it is soo expensive to be healthy, honestly I spend more on food than any regular bill.. I know it'll pay off though. Healthy=Happy. I love meat, cheese, dairy.. all of it.. it's only been 3 days so far with no meat and dairy for me. I don't intend to be a true vegan but I know I want to make the best choices I can for my health.. my biggest weaknesses are SODA, WINE, BREAD, CHEESE... and almost anything sweet! It drives me crazy at work every day with the donuts, bagels, junk, junk, someone is always bringing in crap top share. It's nice and all, but so difficult some days. I'm actually very proud I have made it over a month without soda or alcohol. Stay in committed this go around! :)
  • domsmomm13
    Joy- I can't even tell you how many times I have lost 30-50lbs and gained it all and then some back. At my heaviest I was 230 when I had my son years ago. . But I think I'm finally ready to commit to a lifestyle change and not the latest diet.
    Let's drop this weight together... It going to be a funeral for our fat! :D
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    domsmomm13 wrote: »
    Socialdchick- congrats on the 33lbs! That's awesome. My son is turning 9 in Aug.. funny we are in a similar boat! Yes it is soo expensive to be healthy, honestly I spend more on food than any regular bill.. I know it'll pay off though. Healthy=Happy. I love meat, cheese, dairy.. all of it.. it's only been 3 days so far with no meat and dairy for me. I don't intend to be a true vegan but I know I want to make the best choices I can for my health.. my biggest weaknesses are SODA, WINE, BREAD, CHEESE... and almost anything sweet! It drives me crazy at work every day with the donuts, bagels, junk, junk, someone is always bringing in crap top share. It's nice and all, but so difficult some days. I'm actually very proud I have made it over a month without soda or alcohol. Stay in committed this go around! :)

I have been almost 1/2 a year with no soda (though every once in a blue moon I have a diet one, I know they are bad but this coming from someone who used to drink 5-6 a day... lol). Cheese is my chocolate lol, I have never been a sweets fan so I have cut out a lot of it and have it rarely as well but it is one of those things that I am doing the best I can but if you go by everything that is said, literally everything you eat and do can be bad for you in some way (mostly) so I do the best I can with my $ and resources but still am happy and not super miserable but I feel much better and am slowly becoming more happy with my image as well
  • domsmomm13
    edited July 2015
    That's great! I too had a major soda addiction. I had to stop every morningand grab myself a 32oz soda for breakfast, another with lunch and sometimes a can in the afternoon.

So today i had a mini melt down when I realized just how much carbs I'd have to eat to commit to a vegan lifestyle. In watching videos and reading blogs I found out this may be the slow track to weight loss. . I have always been a carb restrictor when I'm losing and I'm having a hard time deciding what I really want, lose the weight faster or have better nutrition and spread this goal of mine out two or three times the time frame. That sounds silly saying that but I don't want slow progress to derail my weight loss journey. I'm torn, need to figure out what the best eating plan for me is at this point in the game. Like you said, it's hard to find a meal plan without something bad, and this has to be a lifestyle change I can live with, not a temporary diet!
  • anupriyasingh526
    anupriyasingh526 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi. I am 6 months into the vegan lifestyle. Why do you think you have a eat a lot of carbs on a vegan diet ?
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Hello! Feel free to friend me. I'm always looking for more supportive/motivational friends. I'm pescatarian, but mostly vegetarian. I have a lot of vegan recipes too. Carbs are your friend. They are your fuel. Don't worry about the carbs. You can definitely lose weight with a vegan lifestyle. Check out Happy Herbivore. I also find vegan athletes really inspirational... Rich Roll, Fiona Oakes, and Scott Jurek to name a few.