Has anybody lost weight this way?

Options
arinamargarina
arinamargarina Posts: 34 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, guys! I'm at 58 kg (127 lbs) and 5.7 ft and my goal is to get to 116 lbs. I grew tired of diets and even regular exercising, because I have basically tried everything for so long and I always keep bouncing back. Right now I have a yo-yo kind of diet and I'm looking for ways to develop an eating schedule that's not restrictive nor short-term.
Has anybody lost this amount of weight by not dieting but eating three normal meals a day and the usual snacks? Also, I love exercising, but would riding my bike and climbing some stairs everyday enough? I'm tired of gym.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food and still lose/maintain. I don't consider it a diet, but weighing my food and logging are part of my process. Is this what you are wondering?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If your three normal meals are the usual snacks have fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. If they don't, you won't.

Exercise doesn't burn nearly as many calories as most people think. Chances are, you'll still have to restrict how much you eat.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Tons of people have lost weight eating 3 meals a day with snacks. In order to lose weight all you have to do is eat less than you burn. No fad diets, no elimination of certain foods, etc.
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    @cathipa: Yes, this is helpful. I learned that when I keep track on my meals it helps me restrict to a decent amount of calories, often around 1200 kcals. But some days I just don't and it makes me feel like I lack willpower.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    116 lbs is underweight for your height. In fact, at 127 lbs, you are at the low end of healthy weight. Why are you trying to lose more? Why 116 lbs?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Please do realise that at 5'8", 117 lbs is at a low BMI (below 18). This might not be a healthy goal for you to have as you are already at a very healthy weight. Have you considered doing a body recomp instead (trying to work on muscle versus lose weight)?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    116 lbs is underweight for your height. In fact, at 127 lbs, you are at the low end of healthy weight. Why are you trying to lose more? Why 116 lbs?

This is exactly what I was thinking, I thought maybe putting 5'8" was a typo and she meant she was 5 foot
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    @mymodernbabylon: I have tried to focus on building muscle, but I still have a big amount of fat around my stomach and my thighs.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »

+3. Why?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was 5'8" and 116 pounds when I was eleven or twelve years old. I don't think many women could go that low and it's off the BMI chart. The reason you keep bouncing back is because your body is going to fight you, it wants to stay healthy.
  • chris_finnigan
    chris_finnigan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Use the app, track your calories and dont think of it as a diet. I lost the majority of my weight without exercise, working a desk job eating 3 meals and healthy snacks. Just keep to your target calories and adjust portions accordingly.

I now run 15km per week and honestly, for the effort involved i'm only burning approx 300cal per 5km run. I am much fitter because of it, but i am not losing weight any faster.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I eat normal food and still lose/maintain. I don't consider it a diet, but weighing my food and logging are part of my process. Is this what you are wondering?

^ This.

• arinamargarina
    Options
    @LBuehrle8 : Actually, I checked again, since we use the metric system here and it was a conversion error, I'm actually 5.7, which is 173 cm? Is that correct?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,846 Member
    Options
    As mentioned in another thread, one long term based strategy is to figure out how much food you would eat at your goal weight based on the amount of activity you believe you will be engaged in on a regular basis at that point (most probably lightly active, active, or somewhere in between, for most people).

Then eat that amount of calories in a manner and while consuming a combination of foods that you can sustain eating....forever.

Chances are that you will gradually lose weight and approach that goal.

When you get closer and you stall for 8+ weeks, it will be time to re evaluate where you're at and where you want to go.

Look up and use a program, app, or website that shows you your trending weight to best be able to evaluate your actual weight because people have a weight range, not a specific unchanging single point weight and because water retention issues often mask smaller underlying weight changes.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @mymodernbabylon: I have tried to focus on building muscle, but I still have a big amount of fat around my stomach and my thighs.

Then sorry to tell you but you will have to go to the gym. Lifting heavy will build muscle. Following macros will help you build muscle and minimize fat gains. I can't believe you have fat at your height and weight. Sure it's not just skin?

• arinamargarina
    Options
    @PAV8888: Thank you!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Research body recomposition. I think you will be much happier with your body following a recomposition plan.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @arinamargarina Your ticker says you lost 161 lbs. Is that accurate?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,846 Member
    Options
    And back to the drawing board.

No it is not 5ft 7", 5ft 8"+ is where 173 is and 52.5 kg is where 116 is.

You are already at the bottom end of a healthy BMI @ 127lbs and 173cm.

You should be eating more than 1200 Cal.

You don't have room to play with losing weight.

Check out the concept of body recomp.

Cheers!
  • arinamargarina
    Options
    @loulamb7: No, it's not. I've been meaning to check that error but I haven't managed to get to the end of it. I actually started losing at about 136 lbs.