Healthy theater food besides veggies...

Options
I gotta have something...Any suggestions?

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    twizzlers
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i will also bring my own snack- Pirates Booty aged white cheddar puffs. I bring 2oz and it's as much as a bag of microwave popcorn but it's 280 calories. YUMMMMMMY
  • MFP1984
    MFP1984 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I got into taking a lollipop - it lasted for ages and was less calories (50) than others alternatives.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Some places offer popcorn without all the butter or you could make your own trail mix. We generally don't go to the movies that often so I splurge a little.
  • Kristh
    Kristh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on hungry girls email list and received this one not that long ago and thought it sounded great.
    HG's Ultimate Movie-Viewing Snack Mix

PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 2 1/2 cups): 187 calories, 3.5g fat, 235mg sodium, 35g carbs, 3g fiber, 14g sugars, 3g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Wanna snack on something large, sweet, AND salty!? Smuggle in a serving of this stuff...

Ingredients:
    1 standard-sized bag 94% fat-free butter-flavored microwave popcorn
    2 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter chips (found in the baking aisle)
    1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups Chocolate Cheerios (or another low-fat chocolatey cereal with about 130 calories per cup)

Directions:
    Cook popcorn according to package directions. Meanwhile, place peanut butter chips into a small sealable plastic bag; using a meat mallet or another heavy utensil, finely crush chips through the bag.

Once popcorn is just cool enough to handle, measure 8 cups and place in a large microwave-safe bowl, discarding any unpopped kernels. (Save the rest of the popcorn for another time.) Evenly sprinkle crushed peanut butter chips, brown sugar, and cinnamon over the popcorn.

Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the crushed peanut butter chips have partially melted.

Gently but thoroughly mix contents of the bowl to evenly distribute the toppings. Add chocolate cereal and mix well.

Serve it up (or pack it into sealable bags) and enjoy!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Buy the healthy stuff (all natural) 100 calorie bags. I used to get three of those and make them beforehand and pass them to my two friends. Then some fresh rasperries and some dark chocolate (small bar. We could not consume more than 250 calories each doing this and everything we ate was better than the options at the theatre.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I went to the theatre yesterday and took some freeze dried strawberries mixed with some whole grain chocolate graham goldfish. My mom went with me and she had some trail mix and these 100% fruit chew things.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Healthy snacks vs low calorie snacks, because you have only gotten low calorie snacks as suckers and twizzlers are not healthy, rather seen only as lower in calories.

Yes veggies are a great healthy snack. I say keep on with the veggie, just switch them up, get creative. If carrot sticks are getting old, slice up some cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower. Thinking outside the box there is fennel you can take - fruits and veggies thare are going to crunch are going ot be best, also they have a lower glycemic index which means a slower longer lasting release of blood sugars. There is also fruit you can take in - a vine of grapes, an apple, a pear orange etc. What about some almonds dried fruit (mango, cranberry, raisins etc).

If you are wanting some popcorn, there is no such thing as healthy movie theater popcorn. That stuff is coated in a chemical to simulate butter, so even if you don't add the extra melted butter to your popcorn it is still high in calories. Rater air pop your own at home, and toss it in a brown paper bag to bring into the theater. Homemade air popped is your healthiest popcorn, especially because only then can you be 100% sure as to what is on or in your pop corn.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Theaters have veggies? Where can I find these theaters so I can start hitting them up. I expect a full produce section when i go to see a movie or play. Is this a new thing they're doing in New York or LA?
  • jeankh
    jeankh Posts: 68
    Options
    I just air pop my own popcorn before going and put a bit of that powder seasoning on it.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am on hungry girls email list and received this one not that long ago and thought it sounded great.
    HG's Ultimate Movie-Viewing Snack Mix

PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 2 1/2 cups): 187 calories, 3.5g fat, 235mg sodium, 35g carbs, 3g fiber, 14g sugars, 3g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Wanna snack on something large, sweet, AND salty!? Smuggle in a serving of this stuff...

Ingredients:
    1 standard-sized bag 94% fat-free butter-flavored microwave popcorn
    2 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter chips (found in the baking aisle)
    1 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups Chocolate Cheerios (or another low-fat chocolatey cereal with about 130 calories per cup)

Directions:
    Cook popcorn according to package directions. Meanwhile, place peanut butter chips into a small sealable plastic bag; using a meat mallet or another heavy utensil, finely crush chips through the bag.

Once popcorn is just cool enough to handle, measure 8 cups and place in a large microwave-safe bowl, discarding any unpopped kernels. (Save the rest of the popcorn for another time.) Evenly sprinkle crushed peanut butter chips, brown sugar, and cinnamon over the popcorn.

Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the crushed peanut butter chips have partially melted.

Gently but thoroughly mix contents of the bowl to evenly distribute the toppings. Add chocolate cereal and mix well.

Serve it up (or pack it into sealable bags) and enjoy!

That sounds so good!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dark chocolate covered plums and raisins! Also, peanuts, almonds, or some kind of trail mix.