Strength Exercise

Options
Why don't I see calories burned for strength exercises I do?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because you're entering them in the area that is just for tracking. Also strength training is really hard to calculate and doesn't burn a lot of calories. But if you want some calories for them log them under cardio - search strength training. Just be aware the calories probably aren't accurate.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't count strength training as calories burned.
  • alyram88
    alyram88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask. So we don't need to eat more calories for strength training? I'm only asking because I would like to know if not eating any calories gained for strength training will affect weight loss.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You can log the amount of time for "strength training" under the Cardiovascular section to get an estimate for Calories burned. You can use the Strength Training section to log sets, reps, and weights, but that section does not account for the amount of time or Calories burned.

Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories Burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg