How long before you notice a change in your clothes

Options
Hi :) I just wondered if there is a rough/ estimate amount of weight you loose before you start noticing a difference in your clothes? Thanks

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fat you are and how tight the clothes are when you start. They build a lot of room into the #X sizes, so if the clothes are getting tight, it could be a while before you notice. When you're very obese, it takes a lot more weight going away before you notice than when you're thinner.

You also have to try on new sizes. I didn't really realize how much I'd lost because the 3Xs started getting looser and I was just happy about that. By the time I realized I might've gone down a size, some of the 1Xs fit. I almost totally skipped 2X. :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At about 20 lbs down, I couldn't wear any pants that I wore before without them falling off. Many of the blouses or tops looked too baggy and sloppy. I was so excited to be getting comfortably into things I had in smaller sizes it hadn't bothered me. Now that I am down about 35 I have been buying things at thrift or consignment shops because I don't plan to be at these sizes for long. The exception is Bras, I have had to sink considerable funds in those.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I just wondered if there is a rough/ estimate amount of weight you loose before you start noticing a difference in your clothes? Thanks

I don't have as much to lose now, but I can tell you for sure that my 12s have started getting looser after just 10lbs. I think it'll be another 10 or so before I feel confident enough to go shopping for 10s.

When I was heavier, I'd wear my pants until they were falling off my hips. -___- So I'm no help for giving the same estimate for larger sizes.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've lost 37 pounds and went from size 22's to 16's. I still wear the same shirts because they can't fall off like pants can. :)
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm 19lbs down and most of my old trousers etc still fit, although my shorts are getting very loose (they hold their shape more so I'm assuming they're loose as they've been stretched out). My jeans, which are high waisted and pretty elasticated, still fit but thats probably down to the material/style. At around 14lbs I tried on a pair of tailored shorts in a pretty tight style/material and the next size down fit me. I was 16 before and am now down to UK 14.
    My guess is it just depends on your body shape, the style of the clothing and where you're shopping/the variation between sizes :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    About 15 down I started noticing and so did my friends. 20 down I started needing a belt with my pants. 30 down and my pants fell off..... while I was working....good thing I wear PPE over my scrubs....And no one was around to watch me try to get things sorted out.

• CamillaEdwards
    CamillaEdwards Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments guys! Really helpful. To be honest I'm currently 170lbs and 5,6. I cannot fit in my size 12 trousers anymore after putting loads of weight on quick and I just can't wait to get back into them and be comfortable. I'm hoping they will fit me after loosing about 10lbs. Don't really want to have to buy new ones, so only a few of my (stretchier!) clothes fit me. Not fun having about two/ three outfits that actually fit. Can't wait to choose anything out of all my nice [size 12] clothes! Thanks for your helpful comments xo
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think at your size, you'll find yourself dropping a size around 15-20 pounds. :)
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm only down a little over 12 lbs, but I've noticed my clothes are starting to get looser - not to the point where I'm ready to move down a size, but it's nice to have tangible proof of my loss (in addition to the scale).
  • MrsR130
    MrsR130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5", lost 16 lbs and dropped a little more than a dress size! Was 14, now 12 and even a 10 depending on fit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I notice a difference in non-stretchy clothes like jeans after about 10 # but I can wear stretchy pants for a larger variety of weights.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I started in an Australian size 16 ... just venturing into 18. (I think that's about US size 14 venturing into 16.)

I didn't drop a size until I had lost a least 10 kg ... and in some cases closer to 15 kg.

Now that I'm down 15 kg, I'm going for Australian size 14s ... and sometimes that's right, sometimes they are slightly too small for me, sometimes they are slightly too big for me. I have to try everything on ... it's so hard to tell.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Usually 8-10 pounds.
  • muziique
    muziique Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've haven't lost that much yet (9lbs so far) but already noticed my pants fitting better.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    10+ I noticed, 15 others noticed and 20 everything is falling off
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I noticed after losing 5 pounds. Most, but not all, of my "skinny clothes" fit once I lost 10.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position! I have about 2 outfits that really fit, and a few more that are uncomfortably tight. I don't want to buy any new clothes because I have a closet full of nice things.
    I will say that even after losing just 5 pounds, the tight-fitting clothes had a little more wiggle room. It's nice to have visible progress!

• mijdge
    mijdge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 12lbs down and I'm just about getting to the stage where my 'usual' size is too big.