Plus size trying to lose at least 50 pounds...

Options
(After losing a total of about 20 pounds since February 2015 and seeming to finally beginning to understand eating "right" and gently increasing my exercise)

I've gained back 6 pounds quickly after a few days of falling off track and over-indulging with those old habits sneaking back into my life.. I HAD been at my lowest weight ever since my starting point in July 2014.

If I see junk in the pantry now, I find myself waiting a few minutes before I pick out something eat as if trying to switch to something healthier. I do this with the fridge too. I have bad impulses where I will take a count of 4 or 5 sweet tooth items instead of just having one. I feel guilty right after eating them. That's often the case every day now if the food is available. Today, I finally worked up the courage to once again tell the wonderful and mostly encouraging person who does the main household shopping about my bad eating behaviors. She said she will not buy those foods anymore, but she has said that before. She does bring in healthy stuff all the time, I just have a hard time transitioning my thoughts to the healthy stuff.

So hopefully you get the idea of what I'm struggling with and if you have done similar things, how did you curve your appetite toward those healthy habits?

Replies

• Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On your profile page you say your inspiration is watching your niece grow up (great inspiration). Could you put a picture of your niece up where most of the snacks in your house are and choose to "meditate" (just think) on it before you reach for a sweet-tooth item?

I would also think on your goals (feeling comfortable day-to-day in outfits, your health, your confidence, family, etc.) when you're not "triggered", e.g., just after a healthy meal when you feel good about yourself, so you can connect to positive feelings of non-guilt throughout the day.

You've already lost some weight so you know what to do. Now you're in a place where you can learn to ground yourself and be flexible with what life throws at you.

I would also check that you're getting enough protein, fat, and fiber throughout the day, as those things help me feel full and make the lure of the sweet things (I have a sweet tooth, too) less overwhelming.

Hope this helps. Hang tough. Feel free to friend me on MFP if you need more support!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Logging ... log log log. Log it all. Log when it just stinks to log what you did. Your log is your awareness, it is not your judge.

We overeat in private even from ourselves. The log makes that invisible eating visible. So log it all, 100%.

My first two months, I tried keeping the house sanitized of all the tempting food. During my last 10 months, I didn't have to. The foods were back, but I was no longer powerless around them. The logging gave me better control, good enough for weight loss. It made me brave enough to try to work sensible amounts of my favorites into my plan -- and that has worked out.

I've lost my excess weight (-112 lbs) and I'm maintaining at my goal weight for 8+ weeks now. Day 367 of logging.

Log and never stop logging.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I think planning meals ahead of time would be great for you and then even have a little wiggle room for impulse snacks or just plan everything.

I agree with checking out your macros and you could even add in the snack and then check the macros against the other snack to see which one is actually healthier with the remaining macros you already have.

"4 or 5 instead of just one"

I would aim for 2-3. One would be best but doesn't always happen. I would go for one at noon and another with dinner if possible. Could be good after a workout too.

Not sure what kind of "junk" it is but you could find similar ones that are a tad bit healthier. Moderation is key.

Even weigh food to see if you are eating more or less than you should be.
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    Logging ... log log log. Log it all. Log when it just stinks to log what you did. Your log is your awareness, it is not your judge.

We overeat in private even from ourselves. The log makes that invisible eating visible. So log it all, 100%.

^This. And amazing achievement @funchords! Congrats on your maintenance.

• bluwingsskies
    bluwingsskies Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would like to add more users but the profile links aren't letting me on your pages...is there a setting that I can change?
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Also I do log everything but don't measure or weigh...I always just figure "eat a few things just once today then I should be good" but I know I am not logging according to exact amount. I probably don't even realize how big a serving size is...but I always try to eat just one thing at a time.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Except that I give up on it and just eat too much
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

My first two months, I tried keeping the house sanitized of all the tempting food. During my last 10 months, I didn't have to. The foods were back, but I was no longer powerless around them. The logging gave me better control, good enough for weight loss. It made me brave enough to try to work sensible amounts of my favorites into my plan -- and that has worked out.

I've lost my excess weight (-112 lbs) and I'm maintaining at my goal weight for 8+ weeks now. Day 367 of logging.

Congras funchords for your weight loss. Thanks for a great information on how to log log log everything all the time the times you do good and the times you are not doing so good.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also I do log everything but don't measure or weigh...I always just figure "eat a few things just once today then I should be good" but I know I am not logging according to exact amount. I probably don't even realize how big a serving size is...but I always try to eat just one thing at a time.

Oh, eating at a deficit is so much easier with a digital food scale. I won't belabor this point as I am sure many others will post in support of weighing your food as well. It's just so much more accurate.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I forced it. I refused to even entertain thoughts about them. They were totally and completely Off Limits and that was that. No more Should I or Shouldn't I? None. Done.

However, I knew my health was at stake. I woke up eating Crunch Berries and went to bed eating baked chicken and green beans. I had a Come To Jesus at the doctor, stopped at the grocery store on the way home and that was that.

There was no Can I? Will I? How do I?

I just switched and didn't look back.
  • kshama2001
    Options

57a.jpg

• KariFreeman2
    KariFreeman2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 315 to 229 in the last 2 years. Beside what everyone else has already mentioned was looking at how I buy my treats. I did not give up my fav treats. This would have made sure I failed. But I also know I can no longer buy a family size bag of gold fish, because I will eat the WHOLE bag. So instead I buy all my snacks in single serving packages and I can only have 1 at a time. It has helped me stay in my calorie limits. And it has helped my autistic son learn how to made choices based off of his tastes :)
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Wow! Loving all of this feedback! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this fight! Thank you for your input!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @bluwingsskies - I took a look at your diary and a few things jumped out at me.
    1. It seems that on many days, you are depriving yourself early in the day and then overeating later.
    2. Additionally, you often either don't eat fruits and vegetables, or just eat them alone, so you're not getting in enough calories and mix of protein and fat in that meal.

Here's a breakfast idea - sautee veggies like onions and pepper and add some eggs. Have with a piece of toast. And butter! :)

Have a sandwich for lunch. Throw some lettuce and tomato on it.

You may find you are less tempted by cookies and ice cream later on in the day this way. This is certainly true for me - were I to eat high carb and low fat and protein I would not be satisfied and want to eat and eat and eat. I know because I've done just that.

(I think there might be a typo on your lunch Saturday? I'm thinking you meant 2 teaspoons (tsp) not 2.75 Tablespoons (Tbsp.) I'll sometimes catch typos and then realize I have more or less calories than I thought.)

• bluwingsskies
    Options
    @kshama2001 exactly, I eat lightest at the beginning of my day then too heavy by the end of the night. Also I do find it hard to be completely accurate because sometimes MFP doesn't have the right measurements in their index. I am willing to measure my food, I just have to really push myself out of my comfort zone or security blanket lol
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have gone from 315 to 229 in the last 2 years. Beside what everyone else has already mentioned was looking at how I buy my treats. I did not give up my fav treats. This would have made sure I failed. But I also know I can no longer buy a family size bag of gold fish, because I will eat the WHOLE bag. So instead I buy all my snacks in single serving packages and I can only have 1 at a time. It has helped me stay in my calorie limits. And it has helped my autistic son learn how to made choices based off of his tastes :)

Yup, it's the Completion Compulsion. I stopped buying pints (16 ounces) of Ben & Jerry's and now get the 4 oz cups, which I hide in the back of my freezer until my fiance requests them. Yes, they cost more per pound, but the cost of calories per serving is far less.

To me, any size chocolate bar up to three ounces = one serving, but I can weight out 15 grams of chocolate chips and be satisfied with that. (15 g is about 1/2 ounce.) The key is not chewing them but letting them slowly dissolve in my mouth.

• bluwingsskies
    Options

• eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For me, I've controlled my environment by not bringing any trigger foods into the house. And, if there's something sweet that my husband wants, he'll buy it in a flavor or type that I don't care for.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Excellent! weight loss Kari I too love myself some goldfish! The cheesy blast flavor (idk the actual name haha) I can't put it down if its a big bag. I want to try to go shopping with my mom to see if I can pick out some of those individual snack items. I'm still under her roof though but trying to support myself, so I kind of have to eat what she'll buy.