Anyone else limiting alcohol?

Options
I used to drink every night -- 2-3 beers. Then I went to light beers but still 2-3 beers. Now I am just drinking on the weekend (Fri and Sat night). It seems to be helping a lot (expect it is better for several reasons!). Anyone else with me?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I drink, it's one and one only.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sure, but I just don't really drink at all. I used to love going out drinking in my twenties. Now that I'm mid thirties it really doesn't appeal anymore. Why drink all those extra calories, then feel hungover and dehydrated the next day and want to eat a bunch of unhealthy food? I hope that might motivate a bit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh yea! I hardly drink anymore.. like once a month or once every two months. It's honestly cheaper this way and it helps with the bloat factor.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I just don't have the spare calories for beer! Even the light ones are ~80 cals each.
  • cfrasson
    cfrasson Posts: 5
    Options
    Honestly, I've gotten rid of all drinking except for special occasions, like at the wedding I went to yesterday. I had 1 mimosa and that was it! I was always taught to not drink my calories.
  • elgface
    elgface Posts: 35
    Options
    i rearly drink anymore although I`m only 20 :P
    I drink at dinnerparties and that is once every couple of month or so, and then I only have 1 glass of wine.... If I am out with friends, I rearly go out clubbing and only have one bear, but that happens like once a month tops, its not worth the calories really...
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hahaha i don't drink anymore iver.
    Im only 18.. but at 13 i was an alcoholic and a stoner..
    But at 15 i managed to pack them both in.
    And now even though i still drink when im going out for the evening.
    Like today..
    Apart from that i don't drink at all..
  • thirteenblessings
    Options
    Used to have a glass of wine or two every night with dinner, now I limit it to once or twice a week. Baby steps :)
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Off the acohol, went ona cruise a few weeks ago, excerised every day, didnt do the cake thing, had plenty of salads and no fatty foods, had wine and port with dinner, gained a pound!!

If i have any alcohol in the future i will make sure it comes off my allowance and i work that little bit harder to get them off.
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    If I drink alcohol, I instantly see a weight gain. With no alcohol I am not drinking all those empty calories and no extra bloat. Last thing I need is anything that makes my stomach appear bigger. I have also noticed easier weighloss when I cut the adult beverages out of my life.
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm a very random drinker but was successful at avoiding it at a cookout yesterday. Let's see if I'm as successful at todays cookout!
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to one glass of wine per night... Of course, I use THIS glass!!!

http://www.target.com/Entire-Bottle-Wine-Glass-750ml/dp/B000VKOK6O
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol doesn't fit into a regular fitness program. It should be limited to special occasions, and even then- lmited. Besides the age factor (40+), the day after feeling, AND not wanting to drink my calories (I'd rather chew them); here are some motivators for those who are still on the fence.

Alcohol is a triple whammy!! YES! A triple whammy!
    1) Of course, the extra calories
    2) Increase in appetite
    3) Slows the metabolism!

So the next time you reach for a drink, think about the strike-out ( baseball) that you are about to apply to your body. Instead choose a hit.... I tend to take flavored waters (Sobe Life waters) to a party w/a diet sprite or club soda. If you drink from a wine glass it makes it fun!! For beer lovers, drink from a frosted mug. I've never checked into the calories of the NA beers. !?? An option?

Anyway. CHOOSE HEALTH & FITNESS. :) CHOOSE YOU!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I used to drink a glass of wine every night, sometimes 2, plus more on the weekends but now I limit myself to once a week at the most, and I don't even drink wine every week anymore. I'm going to a food and wine pairing at a balloon and wine festival next weekend though, and well, let's just say I'll have my fair share LOL but I yes I'm totally with you on the limiting of alcohol!
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Hahaha, that's the best :)
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • laurabeerotten
    Options
    I used to be a big social drinker. Meals included a sugary girly cocktail, splitting an appetizer, having the course and sides, and of course, splitting dessert. I nixed the appetizer and am making better choices with courses and sides. My final choice came down to losing the drink or the half of a dessert... and the drink lost. I like desserts better. ;)

I would also do the bourbon and ginger ale thing at the bar a lot. But I've made it a personal choice to avoid drinking my calories as much as possible. I enjoy eating too much to justify losing food to a drink. I can have plenty of fun without a drink, I've found.

This, of course, doesn't mean I never drink anymore--just less.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    before I started trying to lose weight, I drank one glass of wine most nights. Now, it's just not worth the extra calories. I still drink once a week on my "cheat meal/day." I usually only have one drink though. It's not really as much fun for me to drink anymore, b/c all I think about is the calories lol. I agree with what others said about feeling more bloated, dehydrated, etc when you have a couple drinks. It's all about what works for your weight loss program though - think about permanent lifestyle changes instead of drastic changes. Like someone else said... baby steps ;-)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options

:bigsmile:

I have given up booze almost entirely. I used to drink wine every night and beer on the weekends. Last December I only lost 3 lbs. But when I cut out booze completely in January I lost 7 lbs. Even with me entering booze into my counter and consistently coming in UNDER calorie my weight loss slowed to a crawl thanks to daily alcohol consumption.
    So now I might let myself have a beer here and there but I recognize that it stunts my metabolism so I try to keep it in check.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Personally I think everything in moderation. Everyone is different what works for some doesn't for others. I go out once a week and I have a drink. Occasionally I will have one at home but I drink White Rum 65 calories a shot with diet Coke (Zero Callories. Hence 4 = approx 2 beers) Build up extra calories with excercise (you need a heart monitor to log calories burnt|) If you feel like a beer and you have spare calories have one. This is not meant to be a diet it's controlling amounts of food and drink combined with excersise which will help you lose weight in a steady manner. Remember 1lb a week is 52lbs a year !!!