Eating when bored

Options
so I tend to overeat when bored or emotional . I know I should work out instead when I have these cravings bit the motivation just isn't there. What should I do to get my motivation up?? I need help

Replies

• Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, even around the block. Just enough to distract you and get a change of scenery. I do the same thing - eat when bored; other tricks: eat a piece of fruit or vegetable; drink a couple of glasses of water to feel full. Call someone so you are talking and not thinking of food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get up and move.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I chew gum,so I dont eat too much.a lot of times we eat when we are not hungry.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I take naps... I'm not even kidding, that is the only way to keep me from boredom eating, HAHAHAHA! It doesn't help too much when I'm at work, or I'm home alone with my daughter, though... Usually when my fiance is home, I get to run into the bedroom for an hour and snooze. :D
  • cici8912
    cici8912 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I take naps... I'm not even kidding, that is the only way to keep me from boredom eating, HAHAHAHA! It doesn't help too much when I'm at work, or I'm home alone with my daughter, though... Usually when my fiance is home, I get to run into the bedroom for an hour and snooze. :D

Yes! I use naps too!

Also I drink a mixture of real orange juice and water throughout the day, it keeps your blood sugar level and makes you not crave sugar, and makes you feel full.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a bad habit. You just have to break it. It isn't easy, but can be done IF you really want to do it.

Don't entertain those thoughts. Just do something else. Eventually, not eating when bored will become the habit.

Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    so I tend to overeat when bored or emotional . I know I should work out instead when I have these cravings bit the motivation just isn't there. What should I do to get my motivation up?? I need help

You don't necessarily need to work out ... just do something.

Go for a walk or bicycle ride.

Make a list of hobbies you'd like to try ... painting, knitting, playing a musical instrument, learning archery, or whatever ... and then whenever you feel bored, try something on the list. Sign up for a class, get out the canvas and paints ...

Grab a friend, pick a sport from the list, and go do it ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

No one can motivate you except yourself. Find a way to get yourself off your butt and move. Go for a walk, do some squats, lift some weights, etc. One way or another, movement is going to be your best friend to break the boredom/eating cycle. Keep free weights by your couch and grab them when you think you are bored and thinking of eating.
  • Jsdeem
    Jsdeem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth when you're craving, nothing goes with toothpaste