Losing weight for BCT

Options
Hi! So I'm in the process of joining the army (likely signing my papers this week yay!) Anyways I'm at the top weight I can be for my height. I want to be more towards the middle before I go to basic, so I have a month and a half-ish to lose 10 pounds. My problem is that I've been working out like crazy and losing inches and gaining muscle but not losing weight. I eat about 1500 calories a day. I had it down to 1200 at one point but I felt terrible so listening to my body I added the 300 calories back. I'm at my wits end right now because I can't add anymore workouts without risking injury and I can't cut anymore calories. I've also tried cuting out carbs but with all the running I do I need them. So if anyone has any advice I would really really appreciate it! And yes I understand that 10 pounds in a month and a half is a lot but this is a special circumstance. Thanks!

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out then give yourself some time to adjust and for it to show up on the scale. Muscles will hang onto extra water if they are doing new things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi! So I'm in the process of joining the army (likely signing my papers this week yay!) Anyways I'm at the top weight I can be for my height. I want to be more towards the middle before I go to basic, so I have a month and a half-ish to lose 10 pounds. My problem is that I've been working out like crazy and losing inches and gaining muscle but not losing weight. I eat about 1500 calories a day. I had it down to 1200 at one point but I felt terrible so listening to my body I added the 300 calories back. I'm at my wits end right now because I can't add anymore workouts without risking injury and I can't cut anymore calories. I've also tried cuting out carbs but with all the running I do I need them. So if anyone has any advice I would really really appreciate it! And yes I understand that 10 pounds in a month and a half is a lot but this is a special circumstance. Thanks!

Well it's unlikely to gain muscle in a deficit. Do you use a food scale? And can you open you food diary?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You've been accepted

You're within range

But you want to lose scale weight rather than get fitter and stronger

I don't get it
  • mackenziegregor
    mackenziegregor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You've been accepted

You're within range

I don't get it

My goal is to lose weight AND gain muscle. Gaining muscle has been easy I've been able to up my reps and weights pretty steadily. My push-ups, sit-ups, and running are good but honestly losing weight will help with those as well as its less weight to lift and move. It's not an either or. Ultimately, I'm trying to balance both.
  • mackenziegregor
    mackenziegregor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Well it's unlikely to gain muscle in a deficit. Do you use a food scale? And can you open you food diary?

I actually don't know anything about a food scale i have just been counting calories, sugar, and protiens. I'll look into it. Thank you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You've been accepted

You're within range

I don't get it

My goal is to lose weight AND gain muscle. Gaining muscle has been easy I've been able to up my reps and weights pretty steadily. My push-ups, sit-ups, and running are good but honestly losing weight will help with those as well as its less weight to lift and move. It's not an either or. Ultimately, I'm trying to balance both.

Its doubtful you actually gained muscle outside of noob gains. What is occuring it strength gains (essentially improved muscle efficiency). New muscle mass needs enough energy (calories) so new mass can be created. So if you aren't gaining weight, its unlikely you are gaining muscle. It doesn't really matter though as you are progressing.

Do you have a specific weight training program? If so, which one?

Also, look on amazon for a food scale. They are dirty cheap. I got an ozeri. They are just like a scale for yourself but its for food. Since you dont have much to lose, the amount of error allowable is much less. And a food scale will help ensure accuracy. If you use that and log daily, then you can figure out where you maintain and if you arent losing, it will be easier to understand why.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When beginning a new exercise program, it's normal to retain water that can mask a loss. I would invest in a food scale.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service to our country.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

You'll only get three short mealtimes per day, rather than unlimited access to food like you do now, and what you will have won't be very good, so you're fine as far as your weight.

Where are you at with the physical standards? If you can already run a mile or two now, you should have no problems completing it in 19:42 by the time you are done with Basic.

I prepped for USAF Basic Training by partying like a madwoman, and at the end of the 6 weeks I was able to pass all the physical requirements, which I realize are easier than the Army's, but you're in better shape than I was.

So my advice is to maintain the workouts and your weight, and spend time with your friends and family. It would really stink if you hurt yourself now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @mackenziegregor I thought of a few more things that would be valuable prep for BCT:
    1. Getting up early. Really early.
    2. Showering quickly. Really quickly.
    3. Figuring out how to do your hair. My bunkmates did my hair in Basic and then my first day of tech school I was like, "Oh snap, who's going to do my hair?" And taught myself how to French braid on the spot.