I've never been this heavy!

Options
Hi everyone, this is the first time I will be posting anything online regarding my weight loss journey but this is my last ditch effort at weight loss. I am 5ft 7 inches and weigh 195 lbs. I have never been this heavy all my life and I am starting to see a pattern of at least 10 - 20 lbs per year. It has to stop... It must stop! My last visit to the doctor was a nightmare as my blood work came back as being on the borderline for diabetes and my cholesterol levels were not good. All this aside I decided today 07/12/2015 is the day I am going to get my health back. I wish to loose 40lbs total by increasing my exercise and improving my diet. Please follow me on my journey and if you have similar issues please feel free to discuss.

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP & good luck on your journey! :)
  • wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to MFP. Congratulations on your first step to a better you. Sorry to hear about your medical issues. Log with honesty, and you will see the results. Use these forums to ask for encouragement and support.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm on day two - very new to this as well! You sound extremely motivated and ready to win this battle! Congrats! You can definitely do this!
  • ya_ya2014
    ya_ya2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! It feels so inspiring to hear your words of encouragement. I work a regular 8-4pm sedentary job and usually I would feel sluggish after sitting all day at work and not be motivated to work out. But today, I decided to drink a cup of coffee with creamer at 5pm to give me that extra jolt and it worked! I was able to go to an hour long aerobics body sculpt class. Does anyone have any other tricks they use to stay motivated? Please share.
  • sarahkarigo
    sarahkarigo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im sure at some point you wont need that coffee- the smallest changes in your diet can have an anazing effect on your level of energy and the way you feel.

Best of luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Start by reading the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    ya_ya2014 wrote: »
    this is my last ditch effort at weight loss.

No it isn't. Your last ditch effort is the one where you fail and die. You aren't there yet not by a long shot. Don't set yourself up to feel failure!

Let's look at the positives here: many have weight much much more for your size, and been successful. You are trying to stop a bad trend in its tracks. You are enlisting help. All good things.

As for motivation, what you really need is commitment, commitment to yourself. Motivators are fleeting, commitment is long lasting.

If you work with a reasonable calorie deficit, you *will* lose the weight. It's very simple. Sometimes for some folks managing their habits or cravings or lifestyle complicates matters, but it still boils down to sticking to a reasonable, achievable, deficit and trying to make that work every day.

If you don't have health issues preventing you from exercising, then do that too. Not to lose weight per se, but to get fit. Improving your fitness will pay off much earlier than weight loss and you'll feel great (which is itself a motivator). Exercise can be anything from working out in a gym to walking or cycling or running. Do what interests you and don't be afraid to take some risks and try something new.

Surround yourself with other active focussed people and learn from them and contribute back and you'll be at your goal faster than you can today imagine.

Mike
    Vancouver BC

(Down 75 pounds since Sept 2015, closing in on goal weight)