Eating or snacking every 2-3 hours

Options
A Dr recommended for me to eat every 2-3 hours. Does anyone do this? What are the reasons that you started to do this? How has it helped? Does it help weight loss?
I feel like this would be really time consuming and annoying..
I was recommended to do this because although I do not have diabetes my sugar is always on the lower side and this gives me low energy through out the day.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I kinda do this through the afternoon. I'm usually fine breakfast-lunch, but then need an afternoon snack, dinner, and another snack. My blood sugar is on the lower end of normal, as is my bp. I also eat a smallish lunch because a heavy lunch leaves me sleepy afterwards. So, the bulk of my calories for the day usually happen later on. I don't find it time consuming, just pack my bag for work with a light lunch, plus a protein bar or yogurt and fruit for snack. I don't do it for weight loss, its just what feels comfortable with my body. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not what time you eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely! This is a widely recommended strategy for glucose control & weight management plus many other goals. It keeps your glucose at a more even level and helps keep appetite under control. You don't need to eat a lot--100-200 calories--and it doesn't need to be time consuming. Fruit & nuts, cheese& crackers, protein bar or smoothie, raw veggies & hummus. Always have a little carb & a little protein. Then of course you don't need as much at meals.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do this. Usually that means splitting my lunch in 2. And snacks are small but I try to get some protein or fat. I find eating more frequently but smaller portions prevents me getting to the starving stage and overeating.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It can help steady insulin to spread out (especially) certain carbs if you're prediabetic. I bet there are groups here about that. :) I don't know too much about it!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat like 5-6 times a day, sometimes every 2.5 hours ,mostly every 3,works awesomely for me, I'm never hungry and I can achieve my calorie goal
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @LLNN112 I suppose this will depend on your lifestyle and your daily activities. I have a desk job, and just eat at my desk.
    I'm set to 1400 calories, gym 4 times a week, plus some daily activity like going for a walk. I don't eat my exercise calories back.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't diabetic/pre-diabetic/insulin resistant/etc...

You can really eat your calorie allotment whenever you want. Eating regularly helps regulate blood glucose levels and for someone like me, not being hungry helps me stay within my goals. However, there are a lot of people who find success using IF (Intermittent Fasting) or doing the 8/16 method (eating for 8 hours, then fasting for 16). It really is a matter of what works for you (once again, excepting any medical conditions you haven't mentioned).

If you're of normal health, and find that you'd rather have bigger meals and fewer snacks, then play around. The calorie deficit is what matters.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you have low blood sugar, you are gonna want to eat carbs for frequently (is what a lot of hypoglycemics do) to help spike blood sugars to more normal levels. BTW, what is your A1C?

For those without issues, meal frequency does not cause weight loss. For some it affects workout performance (I can't workout fasted).

Personally, i eat 3 meals a day. I find eating higher quantities during shorter periods of time helps keep me full longer.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 7 am; small snack around 9 am; lunch 11 am; 2nd snack 2 pm then dinner. My longest time is between 2nd snack and dinner. I do it because I feel more satisfied.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LLNN122 wrote: »
    My A1C always checks out normal. I had low blood sugar issues as a child so some of those issues remained to a lesser degree as an adult but are no longer a concern. So when my sugar drops its on the low side of the normal range and just gives me low energy. So I am always looking to see how to keep my energy stable through out the day.

Then yea, eating more frequently, may help maintain a level blood sugar level.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've been eating like this for decades to keep my blood sugars stable. Hypoglycemics and diabetics all do this. It is annoying at first but believe me, it quickly becomes a habit. The trick is to have handy snacks available at all times. I find it helpful to pair protein with carb as much as possible. Here's my list of go-to snacks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504

Many of these are portable, not requiring refrigeration, so I'll have a stash in my desk drawer and a protein bar in my travel bag.

My hypoglycemic buddy kept a big jar of peanuts and M&M's on his desk and if I got caught without a snack some afternoon, I'd go pay him a visit.

I try to keep my snacks about 100-150 calories each, and I have a lighter lunch to make up for it; perhaps a soup or a salad.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chronic hypoglycemic stepping in…

If you experience low blood sugar, you will want to eat/snack every 2-3 hours. Most people think that we need to eat a lot of carbs but too many carbs can actually lead to a roller-coaster effect (a spike in BG, a drop, a spike, and so forth).

When you eat carbs, you need to pair it with protein and fat. For example, if you eat a banana, have peanut butter with it.

Do you test your blood sugar with a gluco meter?

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't diabetic/pre-diabetic/insulin resistant/etc...

You can really eat your calorie allotment whenever you want. Eating regularly helps regulate blood glucose levels and for someone like me, not being hungry helps me stay within my goals. However, there are a lot of people who find success using IF (Intermittent Fasting) or doing the 8/16 method (eating for 8 hours, then fasting for 16). It really is a matter of what works for you (once again, excepting any medical conditions you haven't mentioned).

If you're of normal health, and find that you'd rather have bigger meals and fewer snacks, then play around. The calorie deficit is what matters.

+1.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I usually have a midmorning and midafternoon snack. It keeps me going during the day, and I'm not overhungry at dinner time. It makes sense to me to eat during the day while I'm more active, rather than saving it all up for a big meal at night, when all I'm going to do is relax in front of the TV or computer afterward, or read and go to bed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LLNN122 wrote: »
    A Dr recommended for me to eat every 2-3 hours. Does anyone do this? What are the reasons that you started to do this? How has it helped? Does it help weight loss?
    I feel like this would be really time consuming and annoying..
    I was recommended to do this because although I do not have diabetes my sugar is always on the lower side and this gives me low energy through out the day.

For weight loss, meal frequency and timing makes no difference. People with blood sugar issues (both high and low) often do better with more frequent, smaller meals which can help regulate the blood sugar. Some people find that they are less likely to get really hungry and binge if they eat frequently. Still others need to eat smaller meals because of stomach issues like a hiatal hernia or ulcers so they need to eat more frequently in order to get their calories in.

As far as the amount of time it requires, you don't have to "make" a meal each time. I eat 5-6 times a day. I fix a breakfast, lunch, and dinner but my 2-3 snacks are quick things. I may have a handful of almonds or a protein bar. Bedtime snacks are usually a couple of hard cooked eggs (I cook and peel a dozen at a time and keep them in the refrigerator) and some cheese.

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do this. This way, I can eat three, pre-planned ~300 calorie meals and then three snacks (~100) inbetween to reach my daily goal. Works like a charm, I am never hungry, and I make my goal every day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. End up feeling constantly kinda-hungry.