When do I see change?

Options
I've only lost about 3 lbs so far, so I've not expected to really notice any change, but I've read a lot of posts that say something like "20 lbs down and can't see a change". My goal is to lose 20 lbs and it makes me kind of nervous that there won't be a difference. The last time I weighed 120 I was in early high school and I don't remember how I honestly looked (I mean, all early teen girls hate their body no matter what, right? Plus my boobs hadn't completely come in either). Is it just for people who start out at a high weight that won't be able to see a difference after 20 lbs? When will I start to see results somewhere other than the scale?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 kg (33 lbs) and some days I still don't see a difference.

But, I did start noticing a slight difference after I had lost about 7 or 8 kg (15-ish lbs), and a more noticeable difference after losing about 10 kg (22 lbs)

But we're all different.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    About 8-10 pounds and you should start seeing a difference.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I've only lost about 3 lbs so far, so I've not expected to really notice any change, but I've read a lot of posts that say something like "20 lbs down and can't see a change". My goal is to lose 20 lbs and it makes me kind of nervous that there won't be a difference. The last time I weighed 120 I was in early high school and I don't remember how I honestly looked (I mean, all early teen girls hate their body no matter what, right? Plus my boobs hadn't completely come in either). Is it just for people who start out at a high weight that won't be able to see a difference after 20 lbs? When will I start to see results somewhere other than the scale?

I lost a similar amount of weight (I'm guessing you're around 140 at present)? How tall are you?

I'm 5 feet tall, started at 140 and I'm at 118 now. I didn't see the change right away but I've been this same weight for a couple months now and I'm finally seeing it. I noticed it in the clothes I wore (all my bottoms are too big now and I'm giving away a TON of stuff) long before I really saw it in the mirror.

So, my advice to you would be keep an eye on how your clothing fits and remember that your brain might take a little more time to catch up. I still find myself reaching for the old sizes of clothes and I'm surprised when I fit in the smaller stuff. It's nice but takes getting used to!

~Lyssa
  • Sam_Lam88
    Sam_Lam88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it's all relative. 140 to 120 will be a very noticeable difference. My 237 to 219? Not so much
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 10 pounds and I feel like a total different person. People might not notice change because it takes time. Remind yourself to take progress photos along with weight and waist measurements. Every body is different. Don't stress. Enjoy the ride.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This is why I take progress shots, weigh myself, try on different sizes and do my measurements. There are lots of things to "notice" but they are not always in sync.

Atm I am weighing 1.5kg more than last week (big weekend!) but my work pants are falling off, which they were not last week.

Last month, the scale was steady and the measurements weren't very different but my progress pics showed a waist I hadn't seen before.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you start and how much you need to lose. Since my goal is half my starting weight losing 20 isn't noticeable to many it took 70 or so before folks noticed much. But I'm not doing it for them anyway.
  • juhnell2610
    juhnell2610 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like taking progress pictures and comparing them. You see definite changes from 10LBs onwards
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    About every 8 to 10 pounds i notice...But i think it is very different for every person.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think it's all relative. 140 to 120 will be a very noticeable difference. My 237 to 219? Not so much

This. Though congrats on your loss!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I started at 148 and have lost 10 pounds so far and I see a very noticeable difference.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah OP, you will be able to see a big difference between 140 and 120. Some of the people you were describing may have been starting at higher weights. I started at 163 and there was a HUGE difference at 140-143.
  • crystalcement
    crystalcement Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for everyone but the biggest thing that I have learned in my life-long struggle with weight loss is to get a measuring tape and MEASURE EVERYTHING. There may be weeks when you only lose .5lb (or may even gain sometimes) and sometimes on those weeks the measurements can be very motivating. I am only 8lbs down but I have already almost lost 2" on my waist! I now measure my bust, just below my bust, the narrowest part of my waist, my stomach, hips, thighs, calf, biceps and forearm. A $2-3 investment for a tape measure can provide a LOT of motivation when the scale just doesn't want to budge. For me, my brain takes a while to catch up and it can be difficult to see the results others do, but the measurements don't lie and sometimes can help my mind catch up with the image in the mirror.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you lose 20 pounds and can't see a difference, that's probably a psychological issue. Other people will be able to see (whether they say anything or not) and you will be down at least one clothing size at that point.