In DESPERATE need of motivation

BomDiggity
BomDiggity Posts: 14 Member
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone. I'm Erika and I'm almost 42 years old. I've been overweight my entire life (that I can remember) and I'm just tired of it. I have a husband who's overweight and a 5 1/2 year old son who's built like his father and me but, thankfully, I've managed to teach him some good, healthy habits that have kept his weight okay.

I want to change how I eat, what I eat, how often I eat and, most importantly, WHY I eat. I also need to get my rear in gear and MOVE!!

I'm hoping to find that being accountable to myself using MFP and perhaps accountable to others will keep me on track.

I promise to be honest (when it comes to dieting, I tend to smudge the truth) and do my best. I hope to find friends on here that can help.

Thanks,
Erika

Replies

• slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    You can list me as a pal on this site. I also will hold you to task and wish for you to do the same.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Friend request sent!!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Welcome! Feel free to add me also :)
  • BomDiggity
    Thank you all SO much!! I swear, this HAS to work for me this time.

One question -- how do I add friends?? :smile:

Thanks again!!
  • BomDiggity
    Thank you all SO much!! I swear, this HAS to work for me this time.

One question -- how do I add friends?? :smile:

Thanks again!!
  • nouch88
    nouch88 Posts: 10
    feel free to add me as well I am the same i tend to smudge the truth as well and trying to stay on the straight and narrow of what i eat i am in desperate need of motivation as well so we can help each other out
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    About to send a friend request ;)

HUGE thing to remember, this isnt a diet, this is a lifestyle change, for you, your husband, and your son.

You might have to go extreme at first and simply toss every high calorie processed food in the house (easier said then done if youre on a tight budget I know) I havea pretty strict food budget and buying healthy foods at a good price is a learned art honestly.

I applaud your efforts to teach your child better habits. He will do even better when he sees you eating healthy and in portion too. My son is huge motivator for me, He actually has stayed in perfect Height/weight proportion but is HUGE for his age (he turned 2 the beginning of april, and wears 4T) and He needs to see mommy healthy and happy with her body.

I hope your husband is supportive and joining you in this effort as well :) You will find tons of support and tools on this website. Despite a few negative people about constantly asked questions, I would rather answer the same question 20 times then someone feel embaressed to ask. So if you ever need a little advice always feel free to post. There are alot of parents on here too, so If youre having a hrd time with your son adjusting to new foods, you or your husband, we are always here to help.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Welcome to your journey! Friend request sent! :happy:
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Your first step should be to not think of this as a diet but as a life style change. Diets are temporary and that doesn't help.
    Make changes you can live with for the rest of your life and not feel deprived of any particular food.
    Best thing to do is watch your calorie intake verse your calories burned. MFP will help with that alot. Eat 5-6 times a day to keep your metabolism going or it will shut down and store your fat instead of burn it. Exercise for at least 20 minutes a day 3-5 days a week (even if its just a walk around the neighborhood). Weight training helps alot too. Buy yourself some 8 or 10 lb weights maybe some leg weights too and use them about 3 times a week. Weight training helps you lose weight for up to 12 hours after using the weights!!
    I have lost 12 pounds in the past 4 months and besides my regular errands of running around I hardly exercise. I just don't have the time. Of course I would lose alot more if I did. I have been overweight my whole life too and know how hard it can be to get motivated. Once you see the pounds coming off you will be motivated. Don't try to lose 10 lbs in a week like those TV shows. that is not healthy. You should only be losing around 1-2 a week to do it the healthy way.
    Hope you have success in your endeavor!!
  • lizrangel76
    lizrangel76 Posts: 34
    Going to send a friend request. Once you get started and see results, you will never want to go back. It is all worth the hard work. Yes, it does take time, but you will feel like a different person, and want to make everyone around you feel great as well.
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81 Member
    Feel freee to add me! I'm BizNurse and always have my iphone with me!!
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81 Member
    Don't try to lose 10 lbs in a week like those TV shows. that is not healthy. You should only be losing around 1-2 a week to do it the healthy way.

AMEN!!! NONE of the quick weight loss HYPE deals work!!! Just be PROACTIVE in your health as in eating and exercise, and it WILL pay off!!!!
  • katbirdfl
    katbirdfl Posts: 1
    Hi Erika, I know exactly what you are talking about. I started a weight loss plan in January at the weight of 199 pounds and I am 43 years old. I have three children, one 25, 6, and 4. I knew that I had to do something for myself and for them. I was feeling tired all of the time and just plain old miserable. To this date I have lost 50 pounds by changing my eating lifestyle and adding exercise to my daily routine. What a huge difference I have made in my life! I am on the journey to lose 20 more pounds and I know that it is going to be just as hard as losing the first 20 but I know that I HAVE TO DO THIS! I do not want to go back to the way I was in January. I will send you a friend request be there for you with motivation for you to keep on the path. Best wishes, Kathryn
  • ChloMonster
    ChloMonster Posts: 19 Member
    I will be 40 in just a week or so. I've been heavy since I became a teenager. I had the worst diet in the world! Processed foods, tons of soda, not a fruit or veggie in sight. I still drink soda, but at least it's diet soda now. I've had to learn to change the way I shop for food and how I cook it. I am really just starting to learn to exercise and enjoy it. Wishing you great success on your journey! :smile:
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    I am 42 also and since having children, had been overweight for over 20 years! I tried everything without any success. In July 2010, I was blessed to be introduced to Beachbody workouts. Not only have the workouts really helped but also everything I've learned about my nutrition has helped me to lose and keep off 28 pounds! I truly believe that my success has been 50% exercise and 50% eating habits! As for the exercise, it's important to find the right workout that works for YOU. Do something that you find fun!

As for the "diet", several posters have already suggested transitioning your way into healthier habits. I agree 100% with that as that was how I was FINALLY able to be successful! If you want ideas on how to do this, take a look at this 8-week transition guide that helped me. This isn't a sales pitch - it's absolutely free advice. www.tinyurl.com/nutritiontransition.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you to see how your journey is going!
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    It's great that you are working to eat healthier and lose weight. It's never too late! You, your husband and your son will all benefit! I'll send you a friend request. Yvonne
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    You can do it! Really, you can!
  • Im new too i added u!
  • megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    You know with all this support you can do it!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • vic72
    vic72 Posts: 84 Member
    Friend request sent!
This discussion has been closed.