What does entree mean?

Options
Hello all, what does entree and container mean? I saw it when I tried to add indian curry to my food diary. Is entree starter or main course? I am Swedish but live in UK, and there seem to be different definitions in every country :-) Thanks!

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    entree usually means a starter. It comes from the French verb 'entrer' which means 'to enter'.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're adding your own foods to the diary it will ask you to enter serving size and servings per container eg a can of soup is a 'container' and might hold 2 servings.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    'Entree' is used in the US as the term for what we would call 'main course' in the UK. (Appetiser is used in the US for 'Starter').
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Entree can mean starter or main dish/main course, depending on who you ask ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrée

Container is something that contains something, a box, bowl etc - behållare.
  • mockasin666
    mockasin666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I think what I want to know is the amount that is in an entree or container in this food database, it doesen't say the volume or weight of it, or am I missing something?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, no, do not try to add other people's homemade stuff from the database to your diary! You can't know what's in there. Unfortunately everyone can add their own recipes to the database. Nobody knows why. Any measurements should to be exact, in grams or ml. A container or serving can mean anything. Check with the label for manufactured food, or livsmedelsdatabasen for unprepared or generic foods.

You can make your own recipes in the recipe builder. You will know what goes in, and how much.
  • mockasin666
    mockasin666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You are probably right, the tool seemed a bit rough...
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I think what I want to know is the amount that is in an entree or container in this food database, it doesen't say the volume or weight of it, or am I missing something?
    Probably not missig anything, as some people do not weigh their food. Just use a different item in the database or make your own :)