working out with no weight loss :(

Options
I've worked out every day for the past full week and I've watched what I've been eating to make sure nothing is unhealthy or overly caloric but I haven't lost a single pound. I'm getting discouraged. Shouldn't a week do SOMETHING?

Replies

• joannecanty
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • mfullerton5868
    Options
    It was almost 2 weeks of watching what I eat & walking everyday for 20+ minutes before I lost my first pound. And then, it was only a pound. I was discouraged at first also but I can tell the difference in how I look. I have taught myself not to focus on the scale as much as how my clothes fit or how others say I look.

The best part was my sister telling me I needed new pants because my butt was saggy...:)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are currently at 118 lbs. You may be at your healthy weight depending on your height.
  • imogenboo
    imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem, and don't really know how to solve it! I am looking forward to seeing what responses you get :)
  • Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If changing your diet and exercise is brand new for you, it will probably take longer than just one week to see some numbers change. I know that can be frustrating, but can you feel other differences? Do you have more energy, feel better, sleep better? All of those are other noticeable benefits... and how you know what you're doing is working. Be patient with yourself and give your body time to adapt. Be proud of the work you've done so far and any little benefits that have come from it. Just stick with it! :)
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping track of the foods you eat and how many calories? If not you may be eating more calories than you think you are. Also, since you don't have a lot to lose it's going to take longer to see a change.
  • hull37
    hull37 Posts: 11
    Options
    It toke my body 4 to 6 weeks before i losed any thing when i 1st started xx
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Keep at it for at least another week before getting concerned. I've noticed that when I change up my exercise routine there's a period of about 2 weeks that I don't lose anything because my muscles are retaining water. Then suddenly I'll start losing again...quickly. Give it some time. Good luck!!
  • cbeall76
    cbeall76 Posts: 1
    Options
    you may be eating too much, or eating too little. if you're not eating enough (or frequently enough) your body goes into starvation mode, and will hang on to weight. try eating more frequent, smaller meals. also increase your protein intake, since you're building muscle. good luck, and keep up the good work!! :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I don't know what type of work out you do but a rest day is just as important as working out. It gives your muscles time to repair themselves and also your muscles retain water when you work them out so if you don't give them rest they will continue to retain water. Try a couple days of rest and drink plenty of fliuds and maybe see what happens. Also will have weeks where you may not have a loss but try not to stress just keep going. Good luck!!
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It looks like you only have a total of 9 pounds to lose. That isn't very much in the grand scheme of things. The closer you are to your goal weight, the more slowly it will come off. There's a reason for the saying "the last 10 pounds are the hardest"! LOL. Keep up the good work. I know it's easy to get discouraged but these things take time. The weight goes on a lot easier than it comes off. You have the advantage of being very young so just eat healthy, get your exercise and you'll do fine. :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    ive been stuck too the past couple weeks,im going to change up my workouts for the next month see what that does for me
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If you arent measuring everything you eat, you could be over eating with out realizing.

If you are within 5-10 lbs of ideal, it will take longer to start losing.

If this is brand new most physicians will tell you 3-6 weeks to start seeing results.

On here Ive notived its the people with only a few lbs to lose that get discouraged because there are plenty of us with ALOT to los that lose very quickly at first due to the extreme change in diet. Remember to look at somone stats before you get too discouraged watching others lose
  • paushac
    paushac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I give my body a rest day it usually helps. Also, if I'm using strength/resistance during my workout, I will notice a change in definition but not weight loss.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    One week without losing when you start exercising is not unusual. You haven't really given us enough information to go on - we don't know what kind of exercising you've been doing, or for how long each day, and we can't see your food diary so we don't know what exactly you've been eating, or how much, so it is really hard to give you any advice.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you have to lose, but the last 5 pounds may take months to go. Make sure you have only a small deficit (250 calories or so), work out a lot, eat 75% of your exercise calories, and be very precise in your food logging.

I have 20 to go and typically "whoosh". Meaning I go a few weeks with no loss, then suddenly, over the course of a couple of days, I lose 4-5 pounds. So my fat whooshes off me :wink:
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the slower you lose weight. I'd focus more on how you feel and your overall health and advancing THAT goal! That's the MOST important thing now!! GREAT JOB!!!! Linda/RN
  • 30Susie30
    30Susie30 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't be discouraged :)

One thing I learned from my weightloss dr two years ago was, it takes time for your body to adjust to your new way of life. Right now your body is probably just shocked. (not meaning that in a bad way)

So the fat starts shifting around and the weight is probably dropping but you don't see the scale moving yet because your body is adjusting. (also need to compare what time of day you weighed and if you did it on a full stomach?)

Wishing you lots of success!! Keep up the great work!! :)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged after one week of doing this. You could be retaining some weight because of your muscles being sore/tight from the exercise. Make sure that you are eating at least 1200 calories. I noticed multiple times that if I allowed myself to drop to 1000 or less calories, that it didn't matter home much I exercised, I wouldn't lose a pound (even gained sometimes). If that is the case, bump up to 1300 calories, and see if it sheds off what you are retaining.

As for the response for the thyroid, a lot of people do have problems w/ their thyroid and most of us want to be able to blame our weight problem on a glitched thyroid, but it usually isn't the problem. Check out Web MD (or your preferred online health database) to see what the signs and symptoms are of hypothyroidism to see if you have any other symptoms. If it looks like a picture of you, then get it checked out, won't hurt anything.

This is only recommendations from my personal experiences. I do not have a physical training, MD, or nutritional counseling background.

Good Luck!
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I have 20 to go and typically "whoosh". Meaning I go a few weeks with no loss, then suddenly, over the course of a couple of days, I lose 4-5 pounds. So my fat whooshes off me :wink:
    [/quote] WHOOSHES ROCK!!!!