What works for You?

Options
I watched my daughter transform in 10 weeks of Kossama. So I am thinking maybe I should be doing more than just walking. Looking for which program you have had the best results from. I see a lot of P90X, 30 day shred, Zumba, Kettle bells and now just watched infomercials for Insanity and 10 minute Workout by Tony Horton. There seems to be a common thread as in muscle confusion. Just looking for advice, results, or concerns about all the choices.
Thanks.
From a somewhat confused 59 year old.:huh:

Replies

• mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    im doing the p90x and i take my kids for a walk every day in the stroller to the park, taking the long way around the neighborhood to burn more calories. the p90x takes a lot of commitment, you gotta be willing to give up an hr of down time every day. and while that may not seem like alot to many ppl, it is to me raising two lil kiddos by myself with the hubs is gone. zoomba is tons of fun! and tony horton (the p90x guy) is a riot so the workouts are never boring
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do mostly walking but when I can I do zumba and kettle bell.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to find what is right for them. You need to find an exercise that you EJOY doing. I love Zumba and also walking. I do make myself do the 30DS a few times a week. But I am starting to see resuls from the shred in my muscle tone, so I am liking that better. If you enjoy doing the workout, you are more likely to stick with it.
  • shart135
    shart135 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just don't go from zero to hero. I don't know your age, but if your in your 40's or 50's, taking on too rigorous and exercise plan can lead to injury. Start by increasing your "walking" to "power walking" to raise your heart rate. Do intervals...regular walk for 3 minutes, power walk for a minute. If you're not sweating your not burning a lot of calories. Consider trying a treadmill or elliptical (which I prefer for low impact). Make sure you watch your "liquid" calories, as juices, milk, and alcohol are all very caloric. Lastly, eat at 1200 to 1400 calorie a day diet.

Lastly, stretching your hamstrings, Achilles Tendons, and feet are very important both before and after exercising. Invest in a good pair of running shoes with arch support and you'll be set to goo. Good luck with your efforts!
  • crazyquilter36
    Options
    I have the original Turbo Jam. It is great and lots of fun with many different videos to mix it up so I don't get bored. I just got 2 of the newer Turbo Jam videos that go with the stability ball. They are great! Zumba is so much fun and burns tons of calories. I also like using the Wii, I have a lot of the dance Wii games. Again fun while burning calories. I have been thinking about the 30 Day Shred but have not gotten that one yet. I am worried that it is a for a whole month. I like looking at smaller challenges, one week at a time. I also have an 8lb kettlebell that came with a dvd. It does great on toning your muscles. I have a 5lb weighted ball that came with a video also. Not as intense as the kettlebell workout, but a nice 24min workout for toning. There are so many things to do, it is hard to choose. Good luck finding what works for you =)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    The book that has literally changed my life (and my body) is called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Lift like a man, look like a goddesss)" by Lou Schuler - there's a men's version too.

I've been following the program for 2 months (been exercising and eating healthy for 4 months) and this book's easily laid out program has given me lean muscle and a flat stomach.

I try to eat as healthy as I can, I do HIIT 20 minutes on my non strength training days on the elliptical and that's it. My diary is public. So no secrets about what I eat.

I'm on my last 10 lbs (or 9.5 now) and hoping there is a six pack around the corner soon!

The book is $10 on Amazon - best $10 I ever spent! Has great reviews too if you need more convincing.
  • livlovlaf
    livlovlaf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your info. I am in need of a new pair of walking shoes, so that will be my next investment.
  • livlovlaf
    livlovlaf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for your replys. After much research and your help, I have decided that 1) I have to take my kness into consideration. 2)Make it fun, mix it up 3) I need some new shoes and 4) don't start out too strong, which I am well known to do and then quit early.
    :happy: