I need help being held accountable... I really need to do this.

Options
Hi! I'm Erika and I am 27 and I am tired of being overweight. I suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I have had a terrible time losing weight as of lately. I finally got a doctor to listen to me (I thought my thyroid wasn't working at all... Turns out my thyroid is fine) and I need help with my weight loss. I want to lose a total of fifty pounds. My wonderful boyfriend and his roommate are on board with this weight loss journey, they also downloaded apps. My problem is that I live alone, and I tend to have an issue being held accountable for what I am eating there. I am looking for new positive friends with similar goals that are in this for the long haul. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :):):)

Replies

• airuhka2006
    airuhka2006 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also should have asked.... What are some of the things that help you guys lose weight? I don't have the money to join the shakeology thing every month and that seems to be what everyone in my area is doing now, though they are already thin and it's hard to see results from that.... What I have seen personally, anyway
  • jimbopolo
    jimbopolo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome, It is always good to have the people around you and close to you that will help as it keeps you on track. I am looking to loose 30-35 lbs and cut down on added sugar as well. I will be logging on every day, feel free to add me
  • notwaitin
    notwaitin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also am the only calorie counter among my friends. This app is great in the fact that you don't feel alone, because your not :-) I eat between 1400-1600 calories, focus on lifting and HIIT workouts, and I try to get higher amounts of protein in my macros (to help build my muscle). So far my body is shaping out nicely when I stick to this. Congrats on NOT joining in the shakeology world, no need for sure. Been there done that, the only thing lighter was my bank account. WASTE of money. Good Luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    welcome
    what helps me lose weight is eating at a calorie deficit
    what helps me be healthy is exercising (running and aerial yoga) and eating foods that are generally termed as healthy.
    what I do. I run everyday-jog/shuffle, log what I eat as best I can. moderate-yes, I can have ice cream-no I will not eat the whole pint. eat lots of fiber and protein to feel full longer. aerial yoga 2 or three times a week as its good for cardio, flexibility, and strength. understand this is a journey that has it's ups and downs.

soon to be added-aerial silks and hopefully lyra, and hiking maybe

I do not: talk badly to myself. label food bad or good.

you do not need any of the gimmicks. no shakeology, or only organic, atkins or paleo. no cleanses necessary. the only thing needed is a calorie deficit
  • giloli
    giloli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This app works well with the RunKeeper app, which is also free.
    Count in all your food and try to work out a few times a week. Jillian Michaels has lots of videos on YouTube which are totally free, I love the 30-day shred ones. Keep it up!
  • taylrk813
    taylrk813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, feeling you on the PCOS. I'm new here also and I'm doing well with the calorie deficit. I'm all about positive thinking and it's really gotten me through the hardest years of my life, so I'm applying that attitude to my new lifestyle. I don't see it as a diet but as a life change. For myself and for my family. I'm not terribly over weight but I want to be healthy and fit. Just don't give up, even when you want to. If you fail, don't give up! We'll be here for you!
  • hnarez27
    hnarez27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been very fit and not so fit in my life, so I'll give you advice on what has worked for me.

1)Planning: Very important! Start off by planning what you will eat each week and what type of workout/activity you will accomplish. It's ok to deviate a litte (e.g., it rains outside so can't run, forgot meal at home, etc.) but try to make up for it of find a good solution.

2)Get a good night's sleep. It's WAY easier to get your butt moving when you are well rested. On the contrary, if you wake up tired, than it's really hard to get moving and really easy to find excuses. Also, try to workout in the morning if possible.

3)Mental strength & positivity: This is where 99% of the battle is won. The most successful people on this earth are those that remain positive and stay strong mentally. If you backslide, DO NOT GIVE UP! This is the stumbling block for most people. Remember that this is not a life or death situation - you get as many chances as it takes to reach your goal.

One additional advise: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WEIGHING YOURSELF! At least not in the initial phase. In the first couple month or so, your body will undergo positive changes that you cannot materialize on a weight scale. You will likely maintain or gain weight in the first couple of weeks because 1) weight will be offset by the building of muscle (to sustain your new lifestyle) and losing of fat and 2) your body will inherently retain more water. So do not fall into this trap. You will mainly feel the initial results on how your feel, including the good kind of aching that comes from training.

I hope this helps. Fight the good fight!
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey and Welcome! I'm fairly new too but have had some good results so far. In my opinion the best thing to do to get started on your lifestyle change is get educated. Start researching how your metabolism works, what nutrition your body needs, and fitness plans that are free and easy for you to start. A lot of people just count calories and don't take the time to understand the balance you need. Things like protein and carbohydrates, etc. It's actually pretty fascinating! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have a lot to lose! :)
  • TShultz69
    TShultz69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whole foods! Honest to goodness real, clean, whole foods... Preferably plant based. Ditch any and all processed foods! Shakeology...no bueno. Not real. If you have Netflix there are some great documentaries that explain nutrition (which is 70% of achieving a healthy weight. 30% is exercise). Forks over Knives, Fed Up, Food Nation, etc. Everyone should watch these. Also, what has worked for me is beginning with a detox cleanse (The Conscious Cleanse is a great book). I like it because it resets your body and ELIMINATES unhealthy cravings. It also encourages journaling which helps with the emotional side of overeating. Good luck!!
  • airuhka2006
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone that has taken the time to comment back.. I am definitely going to look into the documentaries on Netflix. I actually don't even own a scale... I just weighed myself on Saturday at my boyfriend's house to know where I was starting from. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one not going for the shakeology fad...maybe it works for some, but I like my bank account with that extra money in it also. I have cut soda out completely a month ago and I am already feeling less bogged down. Thanks so much for the incouraging words and helpful advice! :smiley:
  • KatiSims
    KatiSims Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have PCOS. It caused infertility for me till I lost some weight. I have a hard time holding myself accountable, if I wanted candy I would buy it and then how it from my hubby. Had to tell myself I was only hurting myself no one else.
    I also can't afford shakeology so I went on pinterest and found meal plans. I am currently on day 2 of the 3 day military diet. It is super hard, but I am holding myself accountable. Hardest part is making meals for my family and not eating them.
    Something my mom did that helped her was posting a picture of herself at a weight she hatednon her fridge. So when she went to snack she would be reminded of her goal. She ended up losing a ton of weight.
  • airuhka2006
    Options
    @KatiSims thanks so much for the good advice! I am very active on pinterest, I will have to check out some meal plans. The picture thing is a great idea... I am the biggest I have ever been, at a size 20,I am 5'10 with big hips but have never been this big... Trying to get that all down so when I am ready to have kids, it is a better possibility.
  • pamellamarie11
    pamellamarie11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika! Logging in MFP is the #1 thing that helps me lose weight. I've also purchased one of those step counting watches that helps me gauge my activity level (or usually the lack thereof). I don't go to a gym, but love the FREE youtube videos put out by the FitnessBlender couple. I love pinterest for motivation, but I'm usually eating or drinking while I'm pinning all these motivating things so I'm not sure that's great. Good luck and be consistent!
  • mal2v10
    mal2v10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika - it sounds like we have very similar goals! I'm also 27 + diagnosed with PCOS, and I need to lose about 30 pounds.

I know that weight loss is ultimately calories in/calories out, but...oddly enough, I've found that I only lose weight effectively if I'm incorporating exercise at least 3-4 times a week (despite calorie counting). Otherwise it comes off much slower than I would expect - I don't know if this has to do with PCOS/metabolism at all, but just thought I would share as it's helped me. I have also noticed that the weight comes off more readily if I focus on a low sugar diet.

Please feel free to add me! Would be great to support each other :)
  • iloveclones67
    iloveclones67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that others haven't said. Here's my prescription:

1) Eat at a calorie deficit. Don't "add in" calories that you gain from exercising (unless you're a marathon runner or somesuch....)
    2) Log ALL your food. All of it. Cream in your coffee. Ketchup. Dressing. All of it.
    3) Weigh and measure your food, don't just estimate.
    4) Log in EVERY single day.
    5) If you start to get stuck on what to eat, look at other people's diary.
    6) Walking is free. Walk to the store, walk to work, walk to school, walk to return a video. Park at the back of the lot.
    7) The elevator is now dead to you.
    8) Remind yourself that you're trying to find a way of eating/exercising that you'll be comfortable with doing for the rest of your life.
    9) Yoga

Feel free to add me!
  • airuhka2006
    Options
    @iloveclones67 haha growing up, my mom would never let us use the elevator. Always the stairs, so I am pretty accustomed to that. I am a retail associate so I walk at work so much. I like to participate in fun runs, and have done a few 5ks, and I play softball all summer long. I just wish I had more friends in my area that had similar goals to mine... It's hard because all my friends have kids and lives, where I can focus on just me and my health. Thanks so much!
  • JenMeyer2014
    JenMeyer2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll help! Add me!! My goal is to lose 86lbs. I just started Metformin and im down 8lbs!
  • clairew931
    clairew931 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey airuhka2006! I joined the site to help people stay motivated and support them with their health and fitness goals! I'd be happy to help you with accountability! Feel free to add me! C
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I also should have asked.... What are some of the things that help you guys lose weight? I don't have the money to join the shakeology thing every month and that seems to be what everyone in my area is doing now, though they are already thin and it's hard to see results from that.... What I have seen personally, anyway

You definitely don't need shakeology to loss weight! I don't have PCOS but fertility generally is one of the things motivating me to lose weight. Having a healthy BMI improves fertility, I want a low starting weight for pregnancy and I want to reduce the risk of weight-related complications.

Things which are helping me lose weight:
    1) Planning! I plan a week of meals ahead of time, I food prep, I freeze leftovers, I take all my food to work (no excuses to purchase anything extra), I pre-log my food before I eat it so there are no surprises. I also plan out my exercise routine for the week.

2) Consistent logging. Just keep at it, even if you go over your deficit, keep logging.

3) Exercise. It's not necessary to lose weight. But I genuinely enjoy it, it makes me feel more positive about my body and I enjoy the extra calories it buys me. Also muscle definition is awesome.

4) Using measures other than the scale. I also take measurements, progress photos and try on clothes that previously didn't fit. It can really keep me going. A few weeks ago the scale didn't budge for a fortnight and I was feeling discouraged but when I measured myself I'd lost centimetres which gave me a boost.

5) Sleep. I can't do this when I'm sleep deprived. I lose will power, I reach for sugar etc.

6) Identifying and reflecting on patterns, triggers and behaviours which are unhelpful and working to change them bit by bit. For example, Friday night used to be strongly associated with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter. Now I go to a yoga class and take a bubble bath instead. I still really want the wine and cheese, but I'm trying to ingrain new relaxation behaviours and I know yoga makes me feel better than wine does.