Workout DVDs for morbidly obese??

Options
emcdonie
emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
I am looking for suggestions for workout DVDs that are possible for a bigger person. Not a lot of squats and lunches as my knees can not take that yet with my weight.

I have found Leslie Sansone which is right about the perfect level of difficulty for me. Provides a challenge and is doable. But for the sake of variety, I wanted to reserve a few more options from the library if possible? Any other DVDs that are in that sort of difficulty range?

Youtube has some nice videos for chair exercises, but I am not that immobile. I can walk and move around ok, just nothing to stressful on knees.

Thanks!

Replies

• gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started with Ten Minute Trainer by Beachbody. Tony Horton can be irritating but the workouts (if you do three of them - 30 minutes + cool down & warm up about 34 mins in all). I started with one on the first day, went to two workouts for a couple of days and then by end of week one was doing three. It got easier, but was never easy. I did them for six months and lost around 10lbs.

Now that doesn't sound like much for six months hard graft, but I did lose more over the course but was not following the diet (or any calorie counting, like MFP) and put on some back on by the end. I effectively wasted time by not looking after both aspects (exercise AND nutrition), as in aggregate, I think the results would have been much better. I did however tone up considerably and increase my base fitness enough to start T25. Which is what I wanted, as I hadn't exercised in about 20 years.

Disclaimer: I am not a Beachbody coach, nor trying to sell you their programs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of videos on you tube, but what are you looking to do? yoga, pilates, kickboxing?
    yoga by Adrienne is popular here
    fitnessblender comes up frequently too
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone is GREAT!!!! It's all standing. Nothing awkward, super hard, or embarrassing.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    +1 for Leslie Sansone. She's got a slew of DVDs for variety. As you gain stamina, you can add resistance bands and hand weights.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I did Shaun T's Rockin' Body. Very low impact options for those first starting out, and the moves are easy to follow. His attitude is so motivating, and dancing is such a positive workout!!
  • emcdonie
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. As to the question of what type, I just mean generic videos I suppose. Though kickboxing could be fun. Not yoga. Pilates I really don't know anything about at all. Just about anything with doable movement. I have lots of the Sansone's reserved at the library to try to them out. I will see about reserving the other mentioned names here too. Thanks!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has a DVD where she incorporates some of the Pilates principles during the workout. It's one of my favorites - hope you can find it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I went from barely being able to do a full mile with Leslie, to Turbo Jam, to Turbo Fire to Insanity.

Turbo Jam is like a faster version of Leslie...still mostly standing...I dont know, I loved it! Check out examples on youtube.
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Downsizeathome.com has workouts specifically for obese bodies. I just heard about this resource today actually - I think it requires a subscription but it's geared especially for people starting out at large sizes.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    On youtube (I don't know about DVD), Jessica Smith has a lot of workouts for different levels, from walking to HIIT cardio and everything you can imagine in between. I definitely recommend checking her out, I bet you'll find some good stuff for you. She has a website as well which I think has more variety than her youtube channel.

ETA - Ellen Barrett is another instructor you should check out, she does nice low impact pilates-inspired cardio. She pays nice attention to posture, form, breathing and says stuff like "I want you to finish this with a tension-free spine" :)
  • kryss247
    kryss247 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was 260 at 5'2.5 doing insanity. I wanted bad enough! Lol no I did not get the scores they got on the fit test or went as fast as they did but I pushed through , ate clean and now I lost 100 pounds doing insanity 3 times :). Im actually doing insanity agian to loose my last 40 . You can do anything you set your mind to!
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith is popular on youtube. Tons of variety, lots of info on modification, well organized to help find what you are looking for.
  • BlakelyFaye
    BlakelyFaye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you are okay with streaming your workouts online or on a smart tv (or roku), Daily Burn has a collection called "True Beginner" that brings you slowly up to speed with strength and cardio. It gives you some variety, and it has kickboxing. If you sign up you have access to all its workout collections from beginner to advanced. You can stream for free for a month and try it out. Just make sure you cancel before the month is up if you don't want to pay to keep going. I have been enjoying trying a variety of the workouts on the service in the past few weeks, and I plan on keeping it coming.

If you want to use more traditional workout videos, in addition to those by Leslie Sansone, you could try the newer ones from Jane Fonda or Kathy Smith that are aimed at baby boomers. Very gentle workouts.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I like Billy Blank's Tae Bo videos. He has a ton of them. I found them challenging, but doable when I first started.

Otherwise, check out the fitness blender channel on youtube. They have a ton of videos at all different levels. Try ones that you think would be interesting and if you don't like them, don't do that one again. Keep trying until you find ones you like. They're free, so no harm no foul.
  • emcdonie
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the additional suggestions! We do have a ROKU so internet based is totally doable.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Youtube: zumba beginner 30 min by dance with shelley. Very good to start!