Alcohol?

Options
Hi all--

I've been a silent member of MFP ("lurker") for almost 2 years now. I've lost 85 pounds reading your inspirational stories and reading your advice - trust me, your words have power. I write now because, through a variety of personal and professional factors, I have gained back 15 pounds in about 2 months.

I'm 21, recent college grad, fearing I will gain back all I have lost (which I know is likely impossible, considering I am revamping my workout routine). The confidence I had gained feels like it is slowly fading away, and I fear alcohol (and the binge eating associated with drinking) is quite a large part of the problem.

Any advice for social situations involving alcohol? I want to reduce/cut it out for both physical and mental health reasons, without having to tell people I've decided to stop drinking, which sounds quite dramatic...

Thanks for all you do!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most people do not care whether or not you are drinking. If you want, tell them ahead of time to let them know that you will not be drinking. Focus on your friendships.
  • ErinSour
    ErinSour Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I definitely struggle here. unfortunately, you kind of have to tell people. that's the only way it's gonna work. you don't have to say you're not drinking ever, but just say you don't want to or you're on a cleanse or whatever you want.
    and with eating.. do you have *kitten* food at home? I find it helps just to not have anything around.. for drunk and not drunk purposes.. but especially drunk purposes.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If I'm not looking to drink but I know people will be jerks about it, I open one beer and just hold it all night. So long as you're holding an open can, no one says a word. Or pour soda into a red cup, they'll think it's a mixed drink and leave you alone.
  • CjEverson
    CjEverson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut out alcohol as well so I just always volunteer to be designated driver, this way you have a good excuse not to drink and if the peer pressure gets to you just have a beer or two this way your not making any bad health decisions. It's been going pretty well for me I offer to drive all my friends to and from the bar and I save money that I normally would be spending on drinks then they all throw me extra gas money so it's like im getting paid to go out, have a good time, and still keep my health in check
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    don't keep binging foods around.
    alcohol: I make a joke out of it. virgin screwdrivers, rum and coke hold the rum. as for the pressure, people know better than to say anything. used to be that I could drink many people under the table, but it just doesn't work for me any more. and I hang with people that respect that decision
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to have an emotional drinking problem just a year ago, and on top of that i liked drinking EVERYTHING in sight at parties...now that i dropped a lot of weight i'm much more lightweight and won't drink much (partly because i hae a fragile digestion so food + too much alcohol, especially beer, makes me feel kinda sick haha) ever...it was a long, weird journey and i don't even recognize myself anymore, as i used to be a binge drinker haha.

Back in the time when i was dieting very strictly, meaning if i drank just a little more than normal i'd go over my calories, i just would never drink alcohol on my own, and very little (a few glasses or a single bottle of beer) during parties and stuff. i liked eating my calories better instead haha. I guess I was lucky enough we didn't have that many parties, as in not every week like as of now in summer lol, and that my friends aren't pushovers at all.
    So as time went i guess I just got used to the idea of drinking very occasionally and in small quantities so now i don't even have to actively watch myself, really. I naturally stop at a point where im pretty sure ive had enough booze calories for the day like it's a psychological automatism...i guess it takes some mental training, but give yourself time and really i'm assuring you it will get easier :)
  • shmyrs
    shmyrs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just say that I'm not drinking right now because of the extra calories or because I want to be more healthy. If offered and I dont' want to say I'm not drinking I may just hesitate a minute then say not right now, and that will usually do the trick....sometimes people just feel like they need to offer to be a good host. It isn't hard for me at all right now since I'm breastfeeding, but I've had to be creative with this in the past :)
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    personally I just say I have to drive and I'll sip on 1 drink. no one wants a dui :-)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    One of the things I did was to order a half-soda water and half cranberry juice so I at least had something to sip on. The other thing I did was to not give a crap what anyone else thought.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If saying "I'm not drinking tonight" just doesn't cut it, say you're the designated driver or that you have to drive home so you can't drink. Grab a beer, dump half of it out, and hold onto that the rest of the night. Get a diet coke on ice and everyone will assume it's rum & coke or jack & coke or whatever. There are lots of little ways to fool people into thinking you're drinking so they won't give you crap about it. Good luck! :smile:
  • tottie3912
    tottie3912 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate saying that I'm not drinking!! So annoying the reactions. But the place it is the hardest to resist is at home as my husband likes a drinking buddy and I can throw em down! He will keep them coming whether I ask or not. Pretty much been like that over the past nine years until now....heading in a bad direction health wise as now am prediabetic. I changed everything up and am doing what I can to reverse past damage done. Yeah, so now I have a legit excuse..... sad it had to come to this. lol But hey, losing weight without it is nice!

As far as going out, I like the idea of the poster who said just open a drink and walk around with it.