Carbohydrate limit!

Options
I am on a 1,200 calorie healthy eating plan. I mostly eat fruit for breakfast and lunch and make a Slimming World meal for dinner. I am usually under my daily calorie intake every day and if not I'm never over 100 calories of my intake. However when I look at the Nutrients part, I am constantly over my sugar and carbohydrate recommended amount! My total carbohydrate intake is 80% of my diet when the app says it should be 50%. Will this have any effect on my weight loss or is it okay as long as I stick to 1,200 calories?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it calories in versus calories out.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There is a lot wrong with it, but not because of the carbs themselves. If you are eating 80% carbs then 960 cals are coming from carbs. That only leaves you 240 calories to get your protein and fats which are essential.
  • HiitsJax
    HiitsJax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There is a lot wrong with it, but not because of the carbs themselves. If you are eating 80% carbs then 960 cals are coming from carbs. That only leaves you 240 calories to get your protein and fats which are essential.

Okay thanks, what foods do you recommend I should eat to balance out my fat and protein? I usually eat 5-6 fruits per day, should I replace some of those with other foods?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    HiitsJax wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Okay thanks, what foods do you recommend I should eat to balance out my fat and protein? I usually eat 5-6 fruits per day, should I replace some of those with other foods?

Yes, you probably need to cut out some fruit since it seems a lot of calories come from it. Eat some protein for breakfast (eggs/bacon/sausage). Do the same for lunch.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating 80% carbs means you are woefully low on protein and fats. I'd increase intake of things like meats, nuts, dairy, etc. Also, 1200 calories is pretty low for most people. What's your height and weight?
  • HiitsJax
    Options
    Okay then, I'll try more eggs, thanks for your help! :)
  • MegWaymire
    MegWaymire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein and could go well with your fruit at breakfast!
  • HiitsJax
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Yes, eating 80% carbs means you are woefully low on protein and fats. I'd increase intake of things like meats, nuts, dairy, etc. Also, 1200 calories is pretty low for most people. What's your height and weight?

I'll try more of those things thanks :) also, I'm 5 foot 3, 10st 12lbs. I'm aiming to lose at least a pound a week till I get to 9 and a half stone.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do what your body tells you... if you're reaching goals you have had set to yourself then 80% of carbs might be good for you. You you feel tired, moody, you're not loosing weight and hit platou it's time for change. I've read you need at least 0.5 x your weight in lbs protein to keep your organs as they are muscles in a healthy conditions.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Switch some of your fruits for veggies, and that will help drop your sugar and some veggies come with a decent amount of protein as well.

Basically, if you're eating that much in carbs, you're not getting the protein needed to help you maintain lean muscle mass as you lose weight and you aren't getting the fat essential to regulating your hormones or to help with nutrient absorption.

Some easy ways to add protein is to eat more meat or dairy; most string cheese is 5-6g of protein for 60 cals, I like 2% greek yogurt 8g of protein for 100 cals. Both of these come with a bit of good dietary fat too.

I will say though, protein makes up 1/4 of my cals and I'm shooting for 106g a day, which means that it's the macro I prioritize over everything else.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Do what your body tells you... if you're reaching goals you have had set to yourself then 80% of carbs might be good for you. You you feel tired, moody, you're not loosing weight and hit platou it's time for change. I've read you need at least 0.5 x your weight in lbs protein to keep your organs as they are muscles in a healthy conditions.
    No, it's not a good idea to eat 80% carbs if you are only eating 1200 calories, no matter what you think your body is "telling you".

• HiitsJax
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I've always been under the impression that cheese is a no-go, but I'll definitely add cheese strings to my diet now if it gets my protein levels up since I love those things lol!
  • Hornsby
    Options

This is horrible advice and should be disregarded.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can lose weight on that, sure. Is it the best? No.

IF you want to stick to 1200 cals and get in a solid, balanced diet with solid macros and good micro, here's how:

-Plan lean meat, nuts, beans, eggs, unsweetened yogurt, cottage cheese, etc., first. Get in 40-100 grams of protein (since you're a girl). I don't sweat the details beyond that. You can use just egg whites if you're squeezed on calories.
    -Next, decide how you'll spend your remaining fats, which should be a MINIMUM of 10% and a max of 35%. Going to have butter? Salad dressing? Chocolate? Peanut butter? Some fatty treat?
    -Then add in 2 servings of fruit and 3 of veg.
    -Do a check for your 3 servings of dairy.
    -Spend the rest on bread/pasta/rice/cereal/etc. carbs.

That BARELY fits in 1200 cal. I tend to aim for 1-1.5 servings fruit (don't much like fruit) and at least 2 veg on 1200 calories instead of the 2 and 3, just because of calorie limits. I get at LEAST 2 servings of diary. And I try to keep fats above the dead bottom and protein to at least 40g and don't sweat the details.

On 1600 cals, I'd get in 2 fruit, 3 veg, and 3 dairy almost every day. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No, a diet made of 80% carbs is never good for anyone.

OP is missing out on key nutrients from eating an extremely low amount of fat and protein which are essential for proper organ function.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the above. 80% carbs on a 1200 calorie diet doesn't leave much room for fat and protein, which are essential elements of a healthy diet. You may feel more satisfied and have more energy if you increase your fats and protein as well. Nuts, eggs, avocados, cheese, legumes, healthy oils and lean meats are all great things to incorporate into your diet. Make sure you are eating a variety of foods and eating foods that you enjoy. Could you sustain eating the way you are for the rest of your life? That is the question you need to ask yourself as you are losing weight because if you are looking at the diet as a short-term means to an end, you will have a much higher likelihood of gaining the weight back after you lose it. You have to look at your diet for losing weight as how you plan to eat for the rest of your life.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Switch some of your fruits for veggies, and that will help drop your sugar and some veggies come with a decent amount of protein as well.

Basically, if you're eating that much in carbs, you're not getting the protein needed to help you maintain lean muscle mass as you lose weight and you aren't getting the fat essential to regulating your hormones or to help with nutrient absorption.

Some easy ways to add protein is to eat more meat or dairy; most string cheese is 5-6g of protein for 60 cals, I like 2% greek yogurt 8g of protein for 100 cals. Both of these come with a bit of good dietary fat too.

I will say though, protein makes up 1/4 of my cals and I'm shooting for 106g a day, which means that it's the macro I prioritize over everything else.

THIS!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that you need protein, increase your fats! Especially being female, they are essential in hormone production/ function, vitamin absorption....etc. focus on fats and proteins, then you can think about your carbs(: