pre and post workout food-help!!!

Options
I never know what to eat before and after the gym, I usually don't eat anything before and then I'll eat my breakfast after (I go to the gym at 5am) and I workout for about an hour and a half including stretching. I'm worried about getting cramps if I eat prior to working out....when I'm done I eat fruit for breakfast and I'll have a cup of coffee or tea. PLEASE HELP!!!!

don't hesitate to add me, I love all the motivation I cangive and get:))

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Just don't eat too much otherwise you could be bloated.
  • asmithling
    asmithling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I thought certain things were bad. Appreciate it:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter, but that post workout meal is seriously deficient in protein
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the answer to both is coffee.

seriously though, if i have an early morning session, i'll usually have a cup of coffee and a banana or a piece of toast and a smear of peanut butter. good to get some quick absorbing carbs in, in my opinion, before a workout.

post workout, i'll have a coffee again (i like coffee) and a protein shake (almond milk, chocolate protein powder) and a regular healthy breakfast with some protein and carbs about an hour or so after that.

you have to experiment with what works for you though. no one can tell you if you'll have cramps or if you'll have the most awesome session ever
  • PaulaWood12
    PaulaWood12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a handful of nuts or a yogurt before and then I drink a smoothie after.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, if you do some weightlifting proteine after exercise is recommended. Other than that, if not eating beforehand doesn't affect your workout it is totally okay to eat afterwards. Feel free to eat whatever you want. You'll body will let you know if it is sufficient.
    Just don't eat too much otherwise you could be bloated.
    Also, I have no evidence but that statement feels false to me, as in it shouldn't be more likely to be (?) bloated after a workout than any other meal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Well, if you do some weightlifting proteine after exercise is recommended. Other than that, if not eating beforehand doesn't affect your workout it is totally okay to eat afterwards. Feel free to eat whatever you want. You'll body will let you know if it is sufficient.
    Also, I have no evidence but that statement feels false to me, as in it shouldn't be more likely to be (?) bloated after a workout than any other meal.

You have no evidence that if you eat too much and then immediately perform a long intense workout right after that you might be in for a bad time?
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I do morning workouts I don't eat before. After I usually have a protein shake, packet of oatmeal, and cup of coffee. Stay regular and keeps me full for a long time.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What? So you've never ate a large meal, tried to work out and then your stomach feels like its gonna explode?

Right I'll just go do some scientific papers on this brb
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

You have no evidence that if you eat too much and then immediately perform a long intense workout right after that you might be in for a bad time?

Maybe I wrongly assumed the poster was talking about afterwards.
    Anyway, I have IBS so I tend not to compare my food situation to others.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think a glass of milk and banana is just enough so that I don't get light headed before workout. And then whatever (healthy OBVIOUSLY) after for breakfast.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All you people who eat/drink dairy before a workout are much braver than I! :smiley: I usually have something small, typically a piece of whole wheat toast, maybe with some peanut butter, and water before a morning workout (which, honestly, doesn't happen often...I cannot get myself out of bed). I have egg whites or a protein shake afterwards, especially if my workout involves lifting. Really, though, what others said - do what feels right for you! My boyfriend cannot eat anything for hours before working out because he says it makes him feel awful. I can have a meal an hour before a pretty intense workout and feel just fine.
  • Jmaytes
    Jmaytes Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Personally there is no way I can have a fully effective workout if I do not have anything in my stomach. If I go in the morning I try to at least have oatmeal and eggs before, afterwards I will take my protein shake to hell with soreness and muscle growth. Best time for carbs are in the morning and after a workout.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat before or after workouts. If I were doing super hardcore intense training for hours on end, I might. Otherwise, I don’t see the point.

My exercise consists of lifting heavy (for me) for about an hour, and I just eat normally through the day. I do find I don’t feel as strong if I’m actively hungry though.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Peri-workout nutrition is very important to some, and not so important to others. MPS (muscle protein synthesis) and MPB (muscle protein breakdown) work against eachother. In theory, MPS - MPB = New muscle. Nutrition around our workout can help us prep the body for maximizing MPS and reducing MPB. There is one thing to keep in mind here, however, if you're nutrition is on point, on average, throughout your week -- meal timing really isn't all that noticeably beneficial. There are studies that suggest it can help maximize results, but the overall benefits are so small, they're sometimes viewed as not "worth" the hassle. Many flexible dieters remove meal timing from their training, and simply consume carbs, proteins, and fats that suit their specific goals.

With that said, if you are concerned with it, for pre workout I would aim for around 30g of carbs an hour before your workout (we're not trying to spike insulin yet, so stay away from high-glycemic carbs). Try a serving of oats. Raising insulin slightly protects your muscles from (edit:) *excessive* breakdown. Add in a few almonds, and maybe a protein shake or small dose of protein.
    Intra-workout, is a good time to introduce more of an insulin spike. Carbohydrates are good here along with a small amount of protein. You can supplement for this, or use gatorade. Personally, I like to pre-load right before with either a banana or a poptart. This helps spike insulin at the right time and pump nutrients right into the muscle. A post workout meal now becomes less important, especially if you've introduced protein during the workout. (I typically drink 1/2 a shake intra-workout). Simply eat a good meal, within an hour or two. Carbohydrates are ready to be consumed in this state as well, as your body is more receptive and in muscle recovery/rebuild stages.

• cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I typically train in a fasted state but then consume carbs and protein afterwards. If your body can handle training fasted go for it. On occasion if my energy level is low prior i will eat a little oatmeal (rolled oats) and a few almonds. I take C4, Jacked 3D prior (usually but I am cycling off for a week) to my workout. That usually give me the energy level I need.
  • asmithling
    asmithling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you to everyone!! Seriously, I'm going to try lots of new things and find out what works best for me:D