Sweat bands and waist trainers?

Options
haleyjones7
haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!
I have noticed at my gym that many women wear sweat bands and saran wrap around their mid section to increase sweating. I have also seen that many people wear waist trainers while working out. Is this beneficial? Will it help me lose belly fat?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest calling these waist trainers, to prevent any future misunderstandings.

No, they don't help. You're watching a whole bunch of foolish people torturing themselves for no good reason.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    No. Those women at the gym like to waste money on gimmicks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, they will not help you lose belly fat. Sweat is not fat melting. It's just your body's built-in air conditioning system. They may lose some weight doing this but it will be due to dehydration rather than fat loss.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Waste trainers are a waist of money
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You're going to make my brain explode.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Waste trainer? Like waste as in garbage?

Or do you mean waist? As in part of the abdomen?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Training my waste to take itself out on trash pickup day. THAT might be something.

But no, wearing plastic wrap around your middle isn't going to help you lose weight. The only way you can lose belly fat is overall fat loss. With a lot of people, that belly fat is the last place you lose.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what most people believe, these things do work to make you lighter...

...anytime you spend loads of money on useless garbage your wallet will get smaller, which in turn will make you weigh less.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Waste trainer? Is that another name for pooper-scooper?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sweat bands and waste trainers?

QFT
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    smh ...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

omg :D
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    They will not make you lose belly fat. They will make your waist *appear* smaller TEMPORARILY, so if you're going to be in a show or a pageant, it can help create a certain appearance for just that one day. But as soon as you stop using the contraptions, your waist will go back to it's original shape and size.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I always love catching up with my mother (who is successfully losing weight, and steadily so) who works with women who just LOVE those scams. They do the herbalife, they do 'water fasts' and they just had a guy come in and sell them these waist trainers. They still all bring in their dozens of krispy kremes and cinnabuns and olive garden breadsticks, etc, etc.

Then they get on her and ask her how in the world she's losing weight, she must be taking some kind of pill! Why is she being so secretive?! It can't just be that she's eating less, no way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Last time I saw a lot of women in sweatbands. They were working out to Jane Fonda.

Waist trainers are just not something I'd ever do. Seems wacky to me and kinda painful. I can't imagine very many women are wearing those things.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Last time I saw a lot of women in sweatbands. They were working out to Jane Fonda.

Waist trainers are just not something I'd ever do. Seems wacky to me and kinda painful. I can't imagine very many women are wearing those things.

I had a coworker show hers off to me and then was fussing with it all afternoon. Apparently it was hurting her back.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lots of the bikini comp girls at the gym use the sweatbands, which are different than waist trainers. They're not boned and as restrictive. These girls are pretty lean anyway, so I doubt it makes much more than a temporary difference on their body.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Waist trainers make your waist smaller, alright...

...by pushing your ribs in and permanently shoving your organs up into places where they're not supposed to be.

The biggest defense of these I've heard is "Oh, it's only by an inch or so." SMH That's still not supposed to happen to the human body.

Seriously, waist trainers are dangerous and harken back to the old Chinese tradition of foot wrapping. You'd just be making yourself miserable - and I'd love to see what happens to some of these people when they need surgery of some sort, or age.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The saran wrap makes you sweat more and you might temporarily lose water weight. Similarly, I also still see some of the sweat suits that are out of fashion due to severely increasing the risk of fainting and death from exercise due to dehydration:
    blog-0306694001412356924.jpg

Might make sense for someone trying to make weight for a very specific time point (before a fight or competition), but not actually useful for long term weight loss.

And long term waist training can damage organs as previously mentioned.

Overall, waste of money.