anybody else from Mississippi?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
edited July 2015 in Chit-Chat
I was born there, but lived in LA. Played a lot of summer sports as a youngster in Jackson, Vicksburg, and Natchez. I miss driving over the flatness of LA to the "bluffs" on the Mississippi side. The interstate cut into the loess from years of floods to the west (most visible on 20 just east of Vicksburg) was always pretty cool to see too.

I guess Yucatan Lake (which was the river channel as of the Civil War) was technically in Mississippi, and I spent a lot of spring/summer days on that lake.

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    Options
    in
  • _John_
    Options
    in

what...are you in that south of Starkvegas to Meridian line that identifies more with Bama because they're winners (and aren't as close to LSU)?
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    Well, I'm from Alabama but we share a lot in common with Mississippi, like our taste in women (2nd and 3rd cousins). I'm just speaking up for the crowd seeing as how there's probably not much internet access in MS.
  • _John_
    Options
    So do you bootleg Internet from Georgia or florida there in bama?
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my family was driving through Mississippi...we determined the five of us in the car temporarily doubled the Jewish population of the state.
  • _John_
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    A few years ago my family was driving through Mississippi...we determined the five of us in the car temporarily doubled the Jewish population of the state.
    You could tell that just by driving? We recently drove through much of ,California, a state that likes to pride itself on being as different from Texas and the South as possible, and yet all throughout the Mojave desert and the Central Valley (and the Sierras for that matter) all the people we encounted reminded us of the friendly people we encounter near our home in east Texas. I grew up in the flat area of the (former) Mississippi River floodplain in northeast LA, and other than the actual crops grown being different the southern Central Valley reminded me of home. It was really welcoming to me.

Also, the California rednecks in the foothills made me feel even more at ease and almost remind me of the difference in the people who live in vs. the tourists that visit, the Texas Hill Country.

Driving through as much open space as we did really highlighted to me how similar people are in the United States, despite how often we try to highlight the differences from region to region.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    We guessed there hadn't been that many Jews in the state since the freedom riders in the 60s.

But seriously, we were in Mississippi for a wedding in Jackson, and thought it was a lovely city...also spent a little time in Biloxi.
  • _John_
    Options

ilfaith wrote: »
    We guessed there hadn't been that many Jews in the state since the freedom riders in the 60s.

But seriously, we were in Mississippi for a wedding in Jackson, and thought it was a lovely city...also spent a little time in Biloxi.

We stayed a night in Biloxi about a year after Katrina...wow...just wow is all I say.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    They gonna get rid of that flag?
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so!
  • _John_
    Options
    blondx7 wrote: »
    They gonna get rid of that flag?

They voted 64% to 36% to keep it in 2001...
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    don't make it right
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    blondx7 wrote: »
    don't make it right

Why?