What is the best way to get motivated?

Options
I need to lose 20 pounds and am coming out of a couple of really stressful years. What is the best way to get motivated?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eat some crisps whilst looking in the mirror naked.

That might motivate you. idk.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When you're really motivated, you'll know it. You won't have to go looking for it. It'll just be there. It will carry you through the days when you don't feel like doing exercise or eating right. It will make you pick yourself back up after a fall. It will drive you and push you until you reach your goal. It's the reason you say No to the Ho-Ho and Yes to the strawberries, even when you'd much rather have the Ho-Ho.

But you can't find it. You can't buy it. Nobody can give it to you. It's internal. You either want to lose or you don't.

When you're truly motivated, nothing can stop you. :)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When you're really motivated, you'll know it. You won't have to go looking for it. It'll just be there. It will carry you through the days when you don't feel like doing exercise or eating right. It will make you pick yourself back up after a fall. It will drive you and push you until you reach your goal. It's the reason you say No to the Ho-Ho and Yes to the strawberries, even when you'd much rather have the Ho-Ho.

But you can't find it. You can't buy it. Nobody can give it to you. It's internal. You either want to lose or you don't.

So....you're basically saying the OP is screwed until they bathe in mind awakening mystical waters. At which point ain't no stopping them. Solid advice.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

So....you're basically saying the OP is screwed until they bathe in mind awakening mystical waters. At which point ain't no stopping them. Solid advice.

It's kinda true tho. Motivation comes from within.

What's your advice to the OP?
  • haleyjones7
    haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look at yourself, evaluate your goals and go after them.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's a wildly illogical interpretation of the text.

Do you have anything for the OP?
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree that it has to be internal. I tried halfheartedly to lose weight for about a year, and one day I woke up and decided it was time. It's hard to name one thing that led me there--seeing a scary number on the scale, not fitting clothes, watching a friend of mine gain a huge amount of weight when pregnant and never wanting to end up there. What you can do to help stay motivated is to take it one day at a time, and make your plan manageable. It should be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The best way to motivate yourself is to ask yourself why you want to lose weight.

And then when you have that answer... ask why again. And then when you have that answer.... ask why again.

When you really know why you want to lose weight, you'll have motivation.

The thing is, motivation is not the driving force to losing weight or keeping it off. It's all about habits that promote a healthy relationship with food and fitness, and forming them and keeping them.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Motivation does come from within, don't disagree with that one bit. But it also needs to be pushed sometimes. It's not a switch that flips on, suddenly making you unstoppable in reaching your goals. You can't sit by, waiting for the light bulb moment. If you have a goal, there is motivation already there, otherwise where did the goal come from. It could be found because of a bad medical test, creating the desire to change course. It could be bought, as some people are despise wasting money and may go to the gym more often if they are paying for it. It could be given, as the birth of a child often encourages people to live in a healthier manner. There are as many motivating factors as there are people. But sitting by waiting for the trigger event and suddenly being all in, nah, I don't buy it.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What motivated me, was MONEY. We are in the middle of a Biggest Loser contest at work, where we enter by giving $10 entry, and if you don't stand for an hour a day, you put in $1. The standing part didn't really take off, but I want that money. So I started walking, counting calories, I got a food scale, and a Fitbit. I have really been enjoying it, and I guess that this was the push that I needed to undo a life time of eating everything I see!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 20 pounds and am coming out of a couple of really stressful years. What is the best way to get motivated?

Motivation amounts to the reason or number of reasons which either pish or pull you towards achieving an objective.

Why do you wnat to lose weight. Spend some time thinking about it and if its importnat to you.

Considering your reasons, then are you prepared to eat less and move more?

If you are then just get on with it, if you arent, then ask yourself why not or realise the reasons arent importnat enough for you to make the effort. Look at why that is.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I was told that I had pre-diabetes. That motivated me to give up pop and chips completely, get into a better lifestyle ( healthy diet and exercise) and lose 70 pounds. Sadly things happened in my life that don't make it easy to have time and energy to workout. I quit taking time to pre-plan and log my foods and I regained nearly all of that in the last two years. I just came from the doctor 2 hours ago where he said that I was pre-diabetic again. Suddenly I am motivated again. Not sure with my job and long commute during the school year where I am going to fit workouts but I am back on the food thing already.My focus has changed to getting well again. My goal is for this time to be the last time I hear the term pre-diabetic from my doctor.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Motivation does come from within, don't disagree with that one bit. But it also needs to be pushed sometimes. It's not a switch that flips on, suddenly making you unstoppable in reaching your goals. You can't sit by, waiting for the light bulb moment. If you have a goal, there is motivation already there, otherwise where did the goal come from. It could be found because of a bad medical test, creating the desire to change course. It could be bought, as some people are despise wasting money and may go to the gym more often if they are paying for it. It could be given, as the birth of a child often encourages people to live in a healthier manner. There are as many motivating factors as there are people. But sitting by waiting for the trigger event and suddenly being all in, nah, I don't buy it.

Much of what you say makes sense.
    So, my question: What would you tell the OP how to get motivated ? I would also be interested, because so far in my almost 70 years when I wanted to achieve something ( like quitting smoking for good after 13 times trying, like learning to swim in my 60's as just two examples ) I always had to have a kind of light-bulb moment to make things stick. I also don't believe that someone else can motivate me, I believe it must come from within myself. If you know an easier way to get there, please share.....:o).
    Also, now after losing 65 pounds my motivation is very different from that in the beginning of my weight loss.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    We can all give you our motivations, but it's something you have to find for yourself. For me, it was the fact that I looked fat in our wedding pictures. That really really bugged me, so I decided to do something about it. Now my motivation is to get healthier so that when we finally do have kids, I'll be in better shape to take care of them. How can I expect our kids to have healthy diets and enjoy activity if I don't show them, ya know? Well, that and I'm really enjoying Zombies, Run! and I want to see how the story plays out! XD

For you, it might be the simple fact that you want to be a healthy weight. Maybe it's your doctor pushing you. Maybe you really really want to be able to wear a smaller size jean. Maybe you like challenging yourself and seeing your calorie goal or step goal being met makes you feel good. I know one girl who's motivation was to be able to last longer during sex. The point is, you have to find what motivates YOU. Take a good look at why you want to do this, and that will help you find a reason to persevere when things get tough.
  • Kalikel
    Options

So, again, what is your advice on how to bring forth motivation when there is none?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    To me there's a fine line between 'searching for motivation' & 'procrastination'.

Just start. Even if it's slow, with better food choices. Or walks around the block, for example. Feeling & seeing results (however large or small) are excellent motivators, IMO. But you need to start somewhere.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    being healthy and fit is awesome...the whole weight thing is just a nice bi-product. i really could give a rats *kitten* about some arbitrary number on the scale...being healthy and fit though is very motivating.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My motivation was a really scary doctor's visit where he warned me if I didn't change my eating habits he was going to put me on cholesterol medication. I have heard horror stories about cholesterol meds causing heart valve problems and poor circulation. I even know of an otherwise healthy woman who died from a heart attack caused by the side effects of the cholesterol medication. That started me to lose weight but my continued motivation is how much energy I have and how good it feels to not have to shop in the plus size department.