Double knee surgery? Did you lift again? Run? Jump?

Options
my knees are in such bad shape. I've been an athlete all my life but last year ( maybe a little over a year ago) my knees just...stopped working correctly. If I hold my leg out straight and put a slight bend at my knee it is the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I can't jump anymore and it hurts if I jump off of something and land. I don't want to go to the doctor bc I'm afraid they will say I need surgery and I will be able to do less than I already am able to do. I enjoy lifting and squats are some of my favorite. I know I could squat more but my knees won't allow. Anyone have knee surgery and come to a full recovery of normal activity with no pain?

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You're making one heck of a speculative leap from knee pain to double surgery and never being well again. Go see the doctor. You still decide what treatment you want to take but someone with much education will be helping you understand the possibilities. Be smart, not scared.

Having said that, I had partial meniscectomy in my right knee about 6 years ago. I've run and lifted and done everything pain free and at the same or higher levels since. So yes, it does happen.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My mom does indoor cycling
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i just had knee surgery last November to replace a tore ACL. I'm about 80% back to normal, and should be 100% normal in about 6 months. I lift and squat heavy. I am barely starting to run , mostly because i'm older and and it is hard on old knees and the dr said its not good for old knees. Depending on whats wrong with your knees, you may have full recovery or not. the only way to find out is to go to the Dr and find out.
  • buffyanne02
    buffyanne02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 1/2 months out after reconstructive ACL surgery - as in two weeks out from running on the treadmill, 6 weeks out from running outside. Normalcy isn't far off, I can feel it in my gut. With that said, as a previous poster mentioned, don't make such a big assumption that you will need double surgery. Good luck - go to the doc!