Clearing your plate after you're full...

Options
One of my main struggles during this weight loss journey has been putting my fork down when I've had enough to eat. It's really difficult for me to leave food on my plate even when I'm WAY past the point of being full. I know it's because of a combination of two things - growing up with the idea that we always had to clear our plates (not letting food go to waste) and the fact that I always just want to eat as much as possible, my brain is never satisfied even when my belly is painfully full. I'm really not sure how to stop - any tips, tricks or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Put down the fork?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Put less on your plate.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Put less on your plate.

Yup
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of food storage containers. If you're full, put it away.

My fridge looks like a Tupperware graveyard most of the time.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I always eat it all because it's all accounted for with the calories. Interested in hearing how other have beaten the "must eat it all" thing, too.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Use a smaller plate when eating at home. If you're out to eat, ask for a to go box when you get your meal and put half of it in there before you start eating.

We are very conscious with our children not to force them to "clean their plate" or eat all their meal before getting down from the table.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Seconding all of the good advice above. Use a smaller plate. Portion out food, eat it and then sit for a little while to let the physical signals get to your brain. You can always save leftovers for the next day. You are in charge of your brain.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue growing up in a German family where we were not allowed to leave the table until our plate was clean. If I eat at home I put smaller portions on the plate and get up for seconds. We leave the serving dishes on the counter and get up for seconds. If we're eating out I slow down and savor my food - and have no issues with doggie bags and leftovers. We also talk more at the dinner table, so its more of a social event.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, like others said, control what you put on your plate. Makes it a lot easier for me.

At a restaurant I decide before I start eating what an appropriate percentage is to eat and then I stick to it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I clean my plate every night... but I also weigh/measure everything that goes on my plate.
  • CompM
    CompM Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes having a small glass of very cold water before a meal works to help curb some of my appetite. A bonus is that it helps keep you hydrated.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I clean my plate every night... but I also weigh/measure everything that goes on my plate.
    Yes, this. I am not leaving an iota of s'mores behind.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I was also raised to always clear my plate. One of the great things about being an adult, is being able to make my own rules. If I don't want it, I compost it, feed it to the chickens, or toss it in the trash bin.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    We ditched the dinner plates and just eat off salad plates at my house. Whatever fits, I eats, and I don't get up for seconds.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yup this...

growing up tho it was a thing at my house...clean your plate there are kids starving.

As I became a parent I called it "clean plate police"...it get's ingrained in us..that's for sure.

I do clean my plate even now but as mentioned it's weighed and fits in my daily allowance.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's still one of my big hangups, especially in restaurants!! I actually don't like most reheated leftovers, so I always feel bad when I can't finish a meal. At home, I can put just what I want and I'm fine, but I always feel bad for wasting food in restaurants. What I usually do is eat the protein first, since that's most of what you pay for, and eat what I can of the rest. Not the most balanced of ways to eat, but I feel less guilty that way. Plus, you can always ask them for a half portion. You'll probably still have to pay full price, but if they can give you less food for a smaller portion, then it's very helpful!
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have to pre portion everything on my plate or I will overeat every time. But then it's okay that I finish my plate. The problem comes when my boyfriend doesn't finish his plate and I get the urge to start eating off of it. Instead everything goes into the fridge for the next day's lunch.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yup this...

growing up tho it was a thing at my house...clean your plate there are kids starving.
    Then there was the night I said, "Well, send them this stuff, then."

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it happens a lot to you then just get in the habit of putting less on your plate to begin with. Do not take more food. If you have measured and weighed food and are putting the proper portion on your plate for your calorie goal it would not matter if you cleaned your plate.
    Fill your plate with lower calorie foods like vegetables so you can eat more without adding a lot of calories.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein, fats and fiber to help you feel satisfied.
    Drink more water.
    Make or order less food so you can not overeat so much.
    Put the food away immediately. Get away from the table and kitchen.
    Reason with yourself. You know you have eaten enough calories. You are not really hungry if your calorie needs are being met. This is not your only opportunity to eat all day/week most likely. Drink water and wait 20 minutes to an hour before eating more.
  • AyeReady761
    AyeReady761 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    [[/b]
    One of my main struggles during this weight loss journey has been putting my fork down when I've had enough to eat. It's really difficult for me to leave food on my plate even when I'm WAY past the point of being full. I know it's because of a combination of two things - growing up with the idea that we always had to clear our plates (not letting food go to waste) and the fact that I always just want to eat as much as possible, my brain is never satisfied even when my belly is painfully full. I'm really not sure how to stop - any tips, tricks or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Put it in a pizza box n post it to me. Lol