How do you guys deal with your loose skin/body image issues?

Options
I am in a rough position.

I am 25 year old female who has gone through a 150+ pound weight loss after being obese for around 10 years. I've always been unhappy with my body, and now after weight loss I still am.

I'm dealing with horrible loose skin, which I know is normal. My boobs, stomach, and back are giving me serious issues. I actually didn't think it would be as bad as it has become. I cannot afford the body lift that I need nor do I have any options of getting the money for it so for now I just have to deal with it and continue to be unhappy and uncomfortable. My insurance will not help me with anything.

I work full time and I can only make it through about half my shift until my back starts killing me. About twice a week I break out in a rash or boils under my stomach folds and under my boobs from sweating so much at work and from the gym, even after seeing several dermatologists and trying several creams.

I just feel like this is no way to live and I can't do anything about it. My loose skin and body image issues are holding me back from just generally enjoying my life.

To the people who are in the same situation as me, how do you deal with this on a daily basis?

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are silicone skin products that help. I'd also use body shapewear if I was able to "arrange" the folds so they didn't fold under it. Some people can do that.

Your skin will continue tightening for 2 years.

If the folds are thick, with fat behind them, continuing to lose weight WILL make them smaller, The bat behind the folds keeps the skin long.

Even if you don't plan to maintain it, getting to 15% body fat temporarily will REALLY help with the folds. Then if you regain to 25%, the fat will deposit in the "right" places.

You can look into Coolsculpting if you're having a hard time with that. It's WAY, WAY, WAY cheaper than a body lift and can remove the fat behind the folds, which can cause them to get smaller. Here's an example: http://www.newjerseyplasticsurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/zeltiq-coolsculpting.png It also has no "downtime."

If you have truly THIN skin, with no fat behind it, you're unlikely to have the level of problems you're having with it. So that should encourage you a little!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Lately--not well. I am lucky to only have loose skin on my belly, but it is really bothering me a lot at the moment. Mostly...I just dress well, hide it as much as I can and try not to think about it.

I agree--shapewear is probably the only reasonable solution at the moment.
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck for some of my loose skin. They have loans to pay it off. I paid mine off in 18 months w/0% interest but they have other plans as well. If you go on the Real Self website there are a lot of recommendations for surgeons in different areas.