What do you do on your "rest" day?

Options
Greetings all. I'm a 10+ hr per week exerciser (mainly Les Mills group exercise classes and some running) and I max-out to near failure after almost every workout. By the end of the week, I'm toast. On my rest day, I typically lay around the house and do nothing (only get about 2000-3000 steps that day).

So, do you still try to get your 10000 steps in, even on your rest day?

Replies

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    REST! you errend it
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    laying on the sofa is my favourite thing to do on a rest day. I have been known to get less than 200 steps in if I try really hard (I only get one day off from work every 2 weeks so I like to make the most of it)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to get 10-12k steps in through walking (not always successful, but I try) and I might do some yoga. Compared to my normal routine this is light and easy. For me it's more of active rest. However, if I'm feeling really run down then I might spend most of the day on the couch. For me it's one of those "listen" to your body type things. Some days I need complete rest and others I'm restless/need to move.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It depends on how badly I need the rest. I really push myself during my workouts, but I have a hard time taking a full rest day. I still walk every hour at work, and do something light like zumba or yoga. However, if I find myself falling into b!tch mode where I am seriously grumpy and everything and everyone irritates me, I know I need a full day off.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I never work myself to failure, so a rest day for me is either yoga, taking a long walk, or steady-state, low intensity cycling.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Love the description active rest...I workout every day work day with 20-30 minute cardio at lunch & Strength training/TRX etc. for almost an hour in the eve. I usually pick Sunday as a rest day but having only Sat. & Sunday off, I may not be doing the usual, but I am probably still running errands, grocery shopping, house cleaning/laundry or planning/preparing meals/cooking/baking or enjoying being in the yard if the weather is nice. This usually leads to gardening or weeding or hauling limbs, but it's the time I have & I enjoy it. I have to be really whooped to sit still for periods of time & actually do nothing. I do have to learn to rest and force myself to just relax and recover.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    meh...i work at various intensity levels throughout the week...I'm still pretty active on my rest day, I just don't do anything too rigorous. I have two kids...there's no such thing as sitting around doing nothing all day.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't work to close to failure every day - usually just twice a week. My rest day is usually still close to 10K steps due to walking the dog, grocery shopping, being at work. There are some days where I don't get many steps...like Sunday I only got 7K, but that was a really lazy day once I got home from a camping trip.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't really ever have the chance to just sit on the couch, so I typically still get 10,000 steps on rest days (although over july 4th weekend, I had a day where I got 7k which was a score because I really was relaxing :) )
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I usually do a bit of yoga or a light swim (followed by a steam, of course!). In my mind, if it doesn't get me out of breath, it's a rest!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:

laundry
    the lawn
    my wife
    dishes
    housework
    go to a movie
    grocery shopping
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was trying to bike on my rest days for awhile. Worked myself to the brink of actual overtraining again. (Yes, skeptics, it's possible and I've done it twice now. RHR +15 over normal. +5 to +10 is considered the beginning of the danger zone.)

Now there is Netflix.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I rest. If I get 10k steps then I suppose that's great and all, but the idea was to rest, not do extra activity. That's doesn't mean I go out of my way to do "nothing". It just means I only do what is needed to do that day is all, and little else.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Casual walks, if anything. Mostly lay around.. a lot.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My rest days are Saturday and Sunday, but I call them my active rest days - 60 to 90 minute trail walk on both days. It's a rare day that I truly rest and do next to nothing.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Outside of exercise my life is pretty sedentary so I do an "active rest".

A low intensity walk for a couple of miles or a light 20 minute Youtube workout plus 15 minutes of deep stretching or 30 minutes of Pilates on my reformer etc.

None of my workouts are high-intensity or strenuous, but I listen to my body and take full-on rest days whenever needed, which is not very often.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My most intense work outs are long runs, so on my off days I do about an hour of easy yoga, focusing on hip, quad and hamstring flexibility. And I do a lot of lying around!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I move as little as possible on rest days. With two young girls and a job that keeps me up on my feet for full shifts I usually wind up moving a lot.

I train hard up to 12 hours a week. But the only time I go to failure is on the platform or max testing
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Rest days for me are anything between doing nothing and a 4 mile run.