going out to eat tonight need help!!

Options
I don't want to fail but tonight we are going out to eat. Probably chinese. what can I order that is healthy?? I am not counting calories yet, just working on *healthy* throughout the day. the stress of counting calories was quite a bit so that is next months baby step...anyways...what should i get??

Replies

• JJLM
    JJLM Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't want to fail but tonight we are going out to eat. Probably chinese. what can I order that is healthy?? I am not counting calories yet, just working on *healthy* throughout the day. the stress of counting calories was quite a bit so that is next months baby step...anyways...what should i get??
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    Most chinese restraunts offer some sort of steamed veggie dish (buddah's feast is what it's called at PF Changs and Nine Dragon). Ask for brown rice instead of white and opt for green tea instead of a soda.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Chinese restaurants usually fry in olive oil, so it's not too bad, beansprouts are particularly good, a few prawn crackers won't hurt, they usually steam veg - at least they do in UK, surely can't be different in USA - considering we're talking Chinese ???
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Mu Shu Pork or chicken is healthy...mostly cabbage with shredded meat wrapped in a thin "pancake".
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    best option is the steamed veggies - usually you can get with shrimp or steak

chinese is a tough one and a weakness for me!

I've had the sweet and sour chicken or shrimp and measured it so I know what I am eating but it's a lot more than the above option.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell them no MSGs! See if you can get some sauces on the side perhaps?
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    stick with steamed, vegtable, dumplings, ask for brown rice, usually they have a diet section on the menu...good luck
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are some quickie tips:

- Start with a cup of egg drop or hot and sour soup. Filling and low cal!
    - Eat with chopsticks--it'll slow you down
    - Stay away from anything deep-fried, coated in batter, or drenched in sauce
    - "Steamed" and "Stir-Fried" are your happy words.
    - No MSG!
    - Request light on the oil for preparation and low sodium soysauce for the table
    - Load up on veggies
    - Steamed chicken and shrimp are usually your best meaty bets.
    - Either skip the rice or order it brown/steamed/boiled and have only a little.
    - Doggie-bag half, unless you're at one of those faux trendy places that like to prove they rock against convention by serving tiny portions.