Sick of plain veggies help??

Options
2»

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The packets of make-your-own Italian Dressing (just add oil and vinegar) - those are quite tasty used in their powder form (don't make the dressing). Just sprinkle over your favorite veggies and voila: tasty Italian treat with very few added calories.

Italian_Dressing_Mix-2.jpg

About 5 calories a shot (1/8th packet).

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Garlic, ginger and soy sauce ...spray oil and stir fry veggies with chicken

Garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, olive oil....chopped root vegetables plus onion and cherry tomatoes in oven

Chop butternut squash into fry shapes, olive oil salt and pepper and roast

Onion and red pepper in non stick fry pan, little oil, garlic, bay leaf till blackened

Thai green curry and coconut milk ...brocolli, cauliflower, onion, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, chicken

Mash em with butter and salt

Eat them raw in salads with olive oil and balsamic

Etc
  • deonbui
    deonbui Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Add seasonings...DUH!!!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Roasted - toss veggies with a little olive oil, put them in the oven at a high heat cook until desired doneness. Gives some of them a different taste - its the only way I will eat brussel sprouts

Yup, roasted. It's the only way I like most veggies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hummus
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    cheese

This. Oh, so good. :)
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Cheese and butter. It really doesn't add as many cals as you think for a nice amount for flavor
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I buy those boxes of potatoes from the Little Potato Company and they give you a packet of garlic parsley seasoning that's to die for. I put about 3/4 of it on my potatoes and then I save the other 1/4 for whatever vegetable I'm having. I steam the vegetables and then sprinkle on the seasoning with a couple of squirts of spray butter and it really makes them flavorful and keeps the calories low. Also when I have a steak I pour some of the juice from the steak on top of my broccoli. It's yummy.
  • Beanessa
    Beanessa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder and pepper.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unless you absolutely hate it, just start making it different ways. Steam, roast, etc. Combine veggies. Add herbs and spices. Fresh herbs, if you can afford them - there is a huge difference between fresh thyme and that dried stuff in the jar.

If you hate it, you'll always hate it. There is no way of preparing broccoli that would make me like it. Carrots, though...I don't love them, but drizzled with the right stuff or tossed into a soup or even roasted with some meat - ding! I like them well enough! They're orange, too, so they help with the whole "eat a variety of colors" thing. :)

Be creative. Try new things. Sometimes it won't be good. On very rare occasions, it will suck and you'll toss it. But it will almost always be edible and you will find ways of making things that you love. :)

And always try new foods. You never know what you'll like!!
  • beachykeen81
    beachykeen81 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Steam them, then drizzle with tahini, garlic, and lemon juice.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy, so I just use lemon juice (over boiled, not steamed veg, that's how lazy I am. I like that with green beans, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts).

For other veg, roasted or sauteed in olive oil with garlic is about as far as I'm willing to go.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    All of the above

I cook with a lot of spices and herbs

But i love also to stir fry them, add water and cream cheese..yummie over pasta and rice that way.
    Or add to that fresh herbs or mustard or lemon juice..or....
    well and so on and so on.

Green beans in (thai) peanut butter sauce...so good!

Be adventurous try something out! Cooking dont have to be boring.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My favorite is half a serving (14g) of bleu cheese crumbles, reduced fat. 40 calories. It's worth it to me.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I love veggies roasted or grilled. I LOVE roasted broccoli with some soy sauce. I like to roast lightly oiled and lightly salted asparagus at 425 for 10 minutes, then sprinkle sesame seeds on it. I like to stir fry green beans with garlic, and then add a bit of shaved parm cheese. I LOVVVVVEEEEEEEE brussel sprouts. I boil them really quick, then toss them in a pan until they get crispy with some olive oil. I add a teensy bit of sugar to carmalize them, then add balsamic vinegar. A lot of times, we will do veggie shish kabobs, and I will brush them with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika, then place right on the grill
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Butter. Sometimes a sprinkle of parm or french fried onion bits. Sometimes a little marinade or a drizzle of ranch dressing. Sometimes mixed in with rice or pasta dishes.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think veggie stir-fry is very good. Maybe you just need to switch up how you cook them in general for something different every once in awhile.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Stir fry, roasted, tossed with dressing, herbs, seasoning, dukkah... I love veg.
  • tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cook veggie with meat or tofu, they taste so much better cause of the meat juice and such. You could stir fry them with garlic and for me soy sauce and a pint of sugar. Or just use salt and a bit of sugar and oh yeah a lot of chili or pepper xD