Food ideas for the prediabetic

Options
GoMomoyGo
GoMomoyGo Posts: 936 Member
Hi all, I recently started tracking my diet here carefully, and I would like to cut down on rice and other carbs because I'm concerned about diabetes. Do you have any ideas to fill in 200 calories or so each meal? Thanks!

Replies

• BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, one of the things a dietitian or nutritionist would advise a diabetic would be to limit their carbs. But what we don't seem to understand is that even some of our fruits are considered a carb. I recently (2.5 mo ago) seen a dietitian, and as a diabetic she was telling me to eat 2 to 3 carbs for each meal. So, her advise to me was this: if I REALLY wanted the rice that I was serving for dinner, to just make sure to count it as however many carbs it really was. And to make sure I was adding plenty of green veggies. My suggestion to sorta counter that advice, would be if I was cutting out a starchy carb, like rice or taters, I add a piece of fruit, like a banana or apple. It usually pairs fairly well with whatever I am having for dinner, and counts as a carb. Not to mention, a little sweet keeps me from wanting anything later in the evening! Hope this helps.
  • GoMomoyGo
    Options
    Thanks! Good info!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am/was prediabetic too. I really cut my carbs and my fasting blood glucose is really good now. Carbs were replaced with fats and some protein (low carb high fat - (LCHF). My plate is more meat heavy than anything else now. I really cut back on my fruit and veggies, and eat no starches.

For people with insulin resistance, LCHF works pretty well.

Good luck. :)
  • GoMomoyGo
    Options
    Thanks! There are only so many veggies I can eat!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein has a really good book about LCHF eating and controlling diabetes. If the LCHF diet is an interest, I would recommend it.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I too was recently diagnosed prediabetic and have cut out all refined/added sugar plus "bad" carbs.

I eat brown rice, whole wheat grains etc. and foods high in fiber. I haven't been too worried about the sugar or carbs found naturally in plant foods.....

I found this very helpful too....
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index
  • GoMomoyGo
    Options
    Thanks! I will study this!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    If you can't give up fruits (which you probably shouldn't, anyways), look for fruits with a low glycemic load (http://adrenalfatiguesolution.com/fruits-lowest-glycemic-load/). I love strawberries. High in fiber, low in calories, and yummy with some stevia-sweetened whipped cream on top, if that's your kind of thing. :smile: