Hair Loss

Options
I have been recently seeing extra hair loss. I have long hair almost to the middle of my back and was woundering if anyone else has seen the same thing happening to them? I tend to loose quiet a bit of hair when I am showering, however its starting to make me question is something wrong. I am not depleting my body of nutrients, I know I am eating right. Help anyone?

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people losing hair when they are getting the proper nutrition. Just make sure you are eating healthy and you might add in some food supplements if you aren't already taking vitamins:) Good luck!
  • kimgriff
    kimgriff Posts: 14
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? If your thyroid is low (hypothyroid), you can lose more hair than usual. You can gain weight too. :)
  • scl7
    scl7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you ever talked to your Dr about PCOS? It's a possibility in that it does some crazy stuff to your hormones having to do with hair loss, weight gain, skin problems... all the fun stuff.

Is it possible that you are lacking zinc in your diet? Supplements of zinc and biotin may help.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Can I take a peek at your food diary? Sometimes if you cut fat too much you can lose hair. If you are doing extreme low fat then you need to make sure you are getting the healthy fats like from fish, flax, almonds, nuts. Pretty much your O-megas.
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    Loosing weight can cause hair loss you might be deficent in a vitamin. I would see your Primary care doctor and have some blood work done to see if any vitamins in your body are deficient. Vitamin B12 is one that is common in people loosing weight.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is common for some people to have hair loss when losing weight. It has to do with reduced protein intake.
    (the reasons give above are also valid reasons so it could be a multitude of things)
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been loosing more hair than normal, too. I thought it was the length, so I cut a few inches off, but it's still coming out. I also take vitamins including fish oils and gla's. I'm wondering if I should go to the doctor because my skin has been going crazy since I started loosing weight.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure your eating enough protein! Lack of protein will definitely make you loose your hair.
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    Stress can also cause hair loss.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    One word - mercury. Are you eating more/too much fish ie. tuna? My neice was pescetarian and working in Africa and found tuna fish a easy solution to her trying to eat mostly vegetarian fare in a not so vegetarian society and it resulted in hair loss. My mother asked her about mercury and sure enough she found that was the problem when she had it tested. It used to be fresh pacific seafood was the lowest in mercury but not sure this will be a wise option in the future. So I try to limit fish to 1 time a week.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im hairstylist 23 yrs, so using my experince here is some info... Naturally we can shed 200-300 hairs a day. We go through three stages of hair growth and the last is when falls out,sometimes more hair is in that last stage. seasons also seem to effect more hair loss too sometime. Hair loss cause bald patches needs to be addressed by doc usually but not usually general all over thinning. Diet changes and meds can cause loss. Esp if you are not eating enough protein and iron,its causes loss and brittle hair and responds to diet changes pretty quickly. Vitamens with biotion and vitamen e can help with hair growth. Watch and see if it slows down over time this month if not you may need to see dr. Also thyroid,liver,post surgeries can cause problems sometimes and stress is another leading cause!
    I have noticed some more than usual loss for me since changing my eating and exercise but it was only for a month and has slowed, started a multi vitamen just to be sure. Hope this helps! let me know if i can be of more help!Good luck!3697427.png
  • JoyK76
    JoyK76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons a woman can lose her hair. You are still quite young but hormone craziness can be a prime culprit. Thyroid issues are another one. IF you decide to have your thyroid checked I wouldn't get the basic test because it only tests it on a scale and if you fall within a magical range the doctor isnt going to look further. If you know some people in the medical field or if someone perhaps in this community can offer the names of more specific thyroid tests it may be worth your while. I would also look into a hormone level test. As someone else mentioned, PCOS or even typical ovarian cysts can cause problems with your hormone levels. Age can play a factor but as I found out, I didnt start seeing major differences until I hit my 30s so you have a little ways to go.

Another culprit, improper nutrition. It may be worth taking your dairy in to your doctor for her/him to review and see if you need to bump levels or decrease levels on any of the nutrients. Or he/she can recommend some supplements for your specific issues.

Another thought is, childbirth. I didnt look at your profile but if you have recently had a baby that is going to affect your hormone levels. I lost alot of hair after having my son.

Also, STRESS! I lose hair when I'm stressed, so take lots of vacations! heehee
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    I have noticed that the longer I let my hair get the more I lose some. I also don't know where you live, but if it's getting hot there now, you might actually just be shedding! Unless it's coming out regularly in major clumps I don't think it's a problem. Just make sure you're getting all your required vitamins and everything.
  • hyper588
    hyper588 Posts: 28
    Options
    First, hair loss can be normal and with long hair, it is more noticable. With that said, as others have suggested, medical conditions or malnutrition can cause excess hair loss. I have SLE Lupus and hair loss is one of my symptoms. Your family doctor should do some basic blood work to make sure you are healthy.
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyonefor your in-put! I did find out about a year ago that I do have PCOS. I at that tme had my thyroid and hormone levels checked. From working in health care and knowing a nurse that became a doctor I knew what to have tested more extensively. I think I just have to start taking more vitamins.
  • dmswarts
    dmswarts Posts: 28
    Options
    you talk about biotin, ive been taking it religiously for 3 months and i have seen a difference in my hair! thicker, grows faster! and not just my hair, my nails too!