Trouble getting enough protein

Options
I have been on MFP for about two months now and have been tweaking my food intake but I syill having trouble getting enough protein to meet my Maco goals. Any suggestions anybody.

Replies

• beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use CVS brand protein powder. It's cheap, low in sugar, and has like 28 grams of protein per serving. Just log it like any other food. Eggs and chicken are other staples in my diet. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian? If not, lean meat is a really easy source. Chicken, but not just chicken--fish, shellfish, turkey, lots of cuts of beef, lamb, and pork, etc.

Also dairy, eggs, tofu/soybeans, lentils and other beans.

Protein powder and bars can be useful too.

There are other foods that provide some (my oatmeal has 7 grams) and are worth considering if you are a vegetarian or, especially, vegan.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There's a good possibility you don't need as much protein as MFP recommends. The amount of protein recommended by the FDA has been skewed high for the past few decades thanks to interference from the beef and pork industries. Unless you have particular dietary needs or your doctor recommends a higher protein intake, you're probably good with about 2/3 of the recommendation.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Google high protein foods. I eat a lot of chicken and salmon (even tho fresh salmon can be $$$).
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use the Boost for extra protein. I have to be careful, though, as most of the protein drinks/powders are soy protein, which my body doesn't like.
  • Kandersonparker
    Kandersonparker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favorite high protein snacks are light string cheese, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, tuna & Syntha 6 protein shakes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Milk, cheese, meat, eggs, nuts, beans, Greek yogurt, quest bars.
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do all those except the Greek Yogurt
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do all those except the Greek Yogurt

What do you have your protein set at?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Beef, Eye of Round, trimmed of fat (if your require) cheap cut cooked right it's great and will annihilate your protein problems.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I don't know what you're doing for protein/how much protein MFP recommends, but as a former vegetarian/vegan I am very familiar with protein struggles :smile:

While you can definitely get easy protein from quest bars, protein powder, lean meats, nuts, eggs, greek yogurt, etc., it's easy to forget about less obvious sources. Grains like quinoa, oats, bulgur, couscous, and brown rice all have about 5-8g of protein per cup, which adds up! Don't forget about beans (black, pinto...edamame!!!).

Make a conscious effort to incorporate some of these foods with less obvious proteins and you'll see your numbers hit the macro level! Of course, it'd be helpful to know what MFP is recommending, as it could be skewed
  • salygrl
    salygrl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    beckytcy wrote: »
    I use CVS brand protein powder. It's cheap, low in sugar, and has like 28 grams of protein per serving. Just log it like any other food. Eggs and chicken are other staples in my diet. Good luck!

Is that like a shake? I'd like to try a protein powder but I can't do shakes! Can you mix it with water?
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    salygrl wrote: »

Is that like a shake? I'd like to try a protein powder but I can't do shakes! Can you mix it with water?

Yep! Protein powder can be mixed in with anything, pretty much. I've seen people put it in yogurt, pancakes.. what have you.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you aren't worried about sodium you should be able to find some Turkey Jerky with about 10-15 grams of protein for less than a 100 calorie serving.

If you can stand the taste/texture of fat free cheddar, almost all of its calories are from protein.

Protein powder is good too. I mix it into my oatmeal (after it's cooked) or mix it in with pancake mix.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eggs and milk. Soy milk has more protein but I just don't like it. Chicken and shrimp are good too and can be added to any meal.

Personally i can't stand protein powder. To me it tastes weird and I rather eat a chicken breast.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat cheese string or a hard boiled egg with my fruit for snacks! I try to stay away from lunch meats and usually cook extra lean meats for supper that I can carry over for my lunch! I also eat a bit of peanut butter with my breakfast! Hope this helps!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts lately have been plain nonfat Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, and honey. Greek yogurt is great for protein. Pistachios have a good amount of protein, and so do certain beans.
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MFP is set to 30% thats 168 g of protien and I'm averaging around 100 g daily. Calorie goal is currently at 2180
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    im all for the quest bars - addicted to them!!
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters, chicken breast, lean meat, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, turkey, whey, and seafood are all solid sources. I easily hit my 185g daily total.