Setting activity level

so I have a desk job but get up to walk around every 30 min, take a morning walk and workout at lunch. Am I considered sedentary or lightly active? I'm insure what to set it at. Thx!

Replies

• workinprogress73
    workinprogress73 Posts: 8 Member
    *unsure
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    MFP's activity settings don't include exercise, they expect you to log it separately. So eliminate those from deciding.

Personally, I think the sedentary setting here is low. I'd go lightly active. You can always change it down the road.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    After you pick a level monitor your progress - if you're losing too fast it's set too low and vice versa.
  • workinprogress73
    workinprogress73 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks to those who commented! I appreciate it
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    @3dogsrunning is right. Set it to either. If you set it to sedentary and you're loosing too much then up your calories. If you set it at lightly active and your not loosing enough weight then you can always lower your calories.
  • xenoglossia
    xenoglossia Posts: 1 Member
    I recently read that sedentary is less than 5000 steps per day, light-active is 5000-7499. Perhaps you could wear a pedometer and find out how many steps you average per day? :)
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    If you do the pedometer test don't include your workouts. Track those separately.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    By my reckoning 5000 steps is around 5 miles a day. For someone who works in an office (like me), I think that's difficult to achieve. I'm sedentary even though I'm pretty active 'out of work' - but I log exercise separately. I'd start there and as others have said, input exercise on top and also if you lose too quickly then you can adjust to lightly active later.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    This is one of those things I've been wondering too. I've turned off my pedometer in my phone cause it eats batteries but four days a week I walk 7-10 miles for work (today about 8). Then I go home and pass out.