honey vs zero calorie sweetener

Options
For the past two weeks I've given up coffee and start my day with a cup of green tea instead. I'm currently using honey as a sweetener, but it has 60 calories per tbsp. My question is if zero calorie sweetener is a better choice, or should I stick with the natural stuff? Thoughts?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Oh, and bee farming is closely linked with colony collapse disorder, so there's that....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd much rather save my 60 calories for something more fun and filling than honey.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to use honey if you would like to save the calories and like the taste of a 0 calorie sweetener. There are a lot of scare stories thrown around about 0 cal sweeteners but no real hard evidence of their harm. To me it comes down to taste. I like the taste of Sweet 'n Low so that is what I use.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. If you enjoy the honey and count macros, then fit it in, it is healthier from a nutrition aspect, but the zero calorie sweetener is convenient if trying to lose weight. Try stevia extract if your looking for a. More "natural" sweetener. Honey may have more benefits and taste better, but if trying to save as many cals as you can, go with the sweetener(:
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My thoughts as well, just want sure if there are any beneficial nutrients in honey (natural) vs processed sugars
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Are you giving up coffee because you have to for some medical reason? All that giving up stuff, arrghh. So glad I don't give anything up. The sweetener choice depends on your taste. Some sweeteners are really sweet while some are mildly sweet. I prefer Splenda or Stevia because they are really sweet. And don't get scared off by all those stupid studies. They are the same as making a rat run 26.2 miles and then saying "oh look, it died. Marathons are poisonous."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My thoughts as well, just want sure if there are any beneficial nutrients in honey (natural) vs processed sugars

Honey is almost completely carbohydrate, the same as other (caloric) sweeteners. Most of us have no problem meeting our goal for carbohydrates.

So if you enjoy it, there's no reason to stop using it. But if you'd rather get your carbs elsewhere, you won't be missing out on anything you can only get from honey.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The stories of artificial sweeteners being bad for us are rather overblown. Yes, it can hurt you. If you get MASSIVE quantities. Like, buckets full a day. Even I don't come close to that, so since switching to unsweet tea with Equal allows me to stay hydrated and cut out sodas, especially for lunch, I'm totally sticking with it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about artificial sweeteners, it might make sense to go with good old white sugar - it has 16 cal/tsp, and isn't loaded with fructose like honey.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can grow your own stevia and steep it with your green tea. I do find it works better cut up a bit
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to ditch the honey (that's 60 calories I can put to better use).
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I just use plain old white sugar.
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use honey instead of processed sweeteners because it's natural. Plus if you use local honey, it helps with allergies!
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    you can grow your own stevia and steep it with your green tea. I do find it works better cut up a bit

Except stevia interacts badly with a schlew of medications for diabetes, psychiatric disorders, and blood pressure, and if you are allergic to ragweed it is likely you are allergic to stevia. So, before you switch to stevia, do some research and talk to your doctor about possible dangerous interactions. Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's safe for you personally.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I rather drink it black/undoctored than have 0 cal sweetener. I find the cinnamon teas and other interesting teas to be quite tasty without any additives.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    For the past two weeks I've given up coffee and start my day with a cup of green tea instead. I'm currently using honey as a sweetener, but it has 60 calories per tbsp. My question is if zero calorie sweetener is a better choice, or should I stick with the natural stuff? Thoughts?

Whatever tickles your fancy. :)

I am not a big honey person, but Iove stevia, agave nectar, and sugar cane. Sometimes in a coffee shop I will use Splenda, other times sugar. It just depends.

Neither of what you describe above are good nor bad, they are just....preferences.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's what you prefer. I drink a cup of tea or joe, black.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    for me personally I use no added sugar unless it's natural, therefore I use honey. Also there is this...https://rebeldietitian.us/eat-clean/sweeteners/
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    drinking about 10 cans of diet soda a day landed me with a life-l9ng chronic pain issue. artificial sweeteners are poison - Try Stevia, it's natural. It's easy to grow as an herb and if you use loose tea and a tea-ball it is easy to add to tea. You can get it in many ways including flavors that add to tea and water
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use liquid Stevia in my green tea and lemonade. Good stuff Maynard.
    I keep honey on hand in the event of hypoglycemia, but that happens rarely.