I am a vegetarian can someone share healthy recipes

Options
I am a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish and eggs
Can someone suggest good healthy vegitarian recipies

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Check out Pinterest. There are a million recipes on there! I love spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles. I have really been into making fallafel sandwiches, too! I get those whole grain pita sandwich halves, some humus, and Kroger has pre-made fallafel balls in the organic/vegetarian section(DELICIOUS). I put about 3 TBSP humus in the pita, then some feta cheese, chopped tomato and onion, then add the fallafel. It's so good! I'm sure that you can probably make a sauce to add in there, with some greek yogurt and fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon, too.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you can sautee some rainbow chard with onions and garlic for a nice leafy side.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    http://gradywine.com/black-bean-soup/
    Black Bean Soup
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 onion, diced
    ½ teaspoon chile powder
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
    2 16 oz. cans black beans
    2 cups vege. stock
    1 bay leaf
    2 Tablespoons lime juice
    Add salt and pepper after cooking.
  • vivekchinoy
    vivekchinoy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Check out Pinterest. There are a million recipes on there! I love spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles. I have really been into making fallafel sandwiches, too! I get those whole grain pita sandwich halves, some humus, and Kroger has pre-made fallafel balls in the organic/vegetarian section(DELICIOUS). I put about 3 TBSP humus in the pita, then some feta cheese, chopped tomato and onion, then add the fallafel. It's so good! I'm sure that you can probably make a sauce to add in there, with some greek yogurt and fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon, too.

• vivekchinoy
    Options
    Thanks a lot

Thank you
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://gradywine.com/black-bean-soup/
    Black Bean Soup
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 onion, diced
    ½ teaspoon chile powder
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
    2 16 oz. cans black beans
    2 cups vege. stock
    1 bay leaf
    2 Tablespoons lime juice
    Add salt and pepper after cooking.

• vivekchinoy
    Options
    Thank you very useful
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just had Senegalese Red Lentil Soup from the One Dish Vegan cookbook but I am sure you can find a recipe online. It's very yummy: lentils, carrots, sweet potatoes and cabbage with a sprinkling of nuts.
  • vivekchinoy
    Options
    Thank you
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    vegetariantimes.com has a lot of great recipes, too.
  • vivekchinoy
    Options
    Thank you
  • charleneb83
    charleneb83 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used edamame instead of peas because I don't like them. It is a bit on the bland side but adding some sriracha on top made it pretty darn good.

http://skinnyms.com/quinoa-and-vegetable-stir-fry/
    1 cup pre-rinsed quinoa
    2 cups vegetable broth, optional chicken broth
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
    1 cup finely diced carrots
    1/2 cup minced green onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
    2 eggs, beaten (omit for vegetarian)
    Kosher or sea salt to taste
    2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, Optional Gluten-Free soy sauce, Tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos, more or less to taste

Directions
    In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and broth, turn to medium-high heat, cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until all liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate quinoa until cold, approximately two hours. Save time by cooking ahead and make the stir-fry the next day.
    In a large skillet, heat oils to medium-low heat, add carrots and green onions, cover and cook until tender, approximately 8 minutes. Add garlic, cook one additional minute. Add quinoa and peas, cook until heated through, 5 to 6 minutes.
    If using eggs, push quinoa to the sides of the skillet, add eggs and scramble. Stir to combine scrambled eggs with quinoa mixture. Add soy sauce and cook just until heated, about 1 minute.
  • vivekchinoy
    Options
    Thank you soo much
  • Garlic_Geek
    Garlic_Geek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Even though I am neither vegan or vegetarian, I recently picked up the Thug Kitchen cookbook and it is amazing! No meat or animal products used. They have a website with free recipes too - thugkitchen.com. As long as you don't mind some cussing (they really try to make the recipes humorous) it is great!
  • GeckoSupervisor
    GeckoSupervisor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is one of my very favorite new veg recipes: http://hurrythefoodup.com/african-peanut-soup/ Soooo tasty, and really filling! The serving size they propose is kinda massive; in my opinion, it serves 4.

I also found this last night and I am really excited to try it: http://chocolatechillimango.com/2011/12/09/sweet-potato-protein-pizza-base/#.VbfG0_lVhxS
  • LaDivaNicotina
    LaDivaNicotina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I recommend Budget Bytes - not exclusively veg but lotsa veg options. My faves from the site are the black bean burgers (you could probably omit the egg), swamp soup and black bean quesadillas. Super simple, economical and often with stuff you have kickin' around in your pantry/freezer.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Even though I am neither vegan or vegetarian, I recently picked up the Thug Kitchen cookbook and it is amazing! No meat or animal products used. They have a website with free recipes too - thugkitchen.com. As long as you don't mind some cussing (they really try to make the recipes humorous) it is great!

Thug is awesome. We eat vegetarian/vegan a couple times a week and our daughter (2 years old) isn't too keen on meat (stand alone). His stuff is so awesomely good, inexpensive and simple to follow. It's not updated too regularly, but we riff on a lot of the recipes to change things up.

I also recently made a vegan cake using a crazy cake (google it I used one from Bob's Red Mill website) recipe (no dairy at all) and fluffy buttercream frosting from Chow.com - possibly one of the better frostings I've made (that's saying something as I don't buy frosting and am always trying to find a good cake frosting - oink),

I think Eatingbirdfood.com also has a lot of vegetarian dishes, I don't think she's vegetarian, but might be. The garlicky kale is good and I've been wanting to try her crackled cauliflower.