Need new running app

Options
I have map my run, which used to work great no matter where I started from. Home or mountains, it kept track of my calories. Only now it only works from home home. The GPS just spins and it will not record anything that it used to if I start from a place other than home. I am afraid to pay and not have it work.

I have an Android device and would like the app to be free or near free, to compute burned calories and to allow me to change my weight as needed. Mapping is optional. Map my hike stopped working altogether.

Tthanks

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and it seems to work fine from any where. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing? Do you have internet connection at the other places you are trying it from?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Strava is great. I only use the free app. Avail on android.
  • ingham_95
    ingham_95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use Nike+ it's definitely the best one out there!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like a GPS issue than an app issue to me. Have you restarted your phone recently? It's not a big deal to try turning it off and on again.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I like Run Keeper (free) or Jog Log (I think $1.99?). I've tried strava a couple of times but didn't like the interface.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I quite like the Strava interface. Also like tracking mileage on all my shoes as I'm typically running in one of four to six pairs of shoes at any given point depending on terrain and last use.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have an android, I use strava (the free version), and I love it! I have been running runkeeper alongside strava for the last couple of weeks, but its only because runkeeper has a 10k training plan that was the best one that I've found for me. Once I've finished the training plan, I'll be back to using just strava.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you don't have an internet connections at the start of your mountain runs. Since these apps use Google Maps, they need internet at the start.

If you want to try other apps, I have been using Endomondo for a few years now and really like it. RunKeeper is a close 2nd. You can get a free version of both (and both link with MFP).
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Strava is great. I only use the free app. Avail on android.

This x 1000 - tried all the apps out there and this is my fave.
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do not always have internet connections. In the past the GPS recorded the path and length, and when I got home I could get the calories and the maps. Which I was fine with waiting. I have tried turning on and off and it doesn't matter. My GPS works fine for my traffic maps and apps so I don't think GPS is the issue....it is something that the Map My Run developers changed....or maybe the update to Lollipop...which did cause issues with my favorite navigation app. I will try reloading, but having other options is great. Thanks for the leads!

Now...if I could just get MFP to accept that I logged my food and exercise on days when I don't have internet (but do log my info,) I would be a happy camper. (As I do a fair amount of camping away from the internet towers.). But, I think that is a post for a different group.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't have an internet connections at the start of your mountain runs. Since these apps use Google Maps, they need internet at the start.

No, they shouldn't. The GPS waypoints are lat/long positions on the earth. They can be superimposed on the map later when network connectivity is available.

The problem is either phone or app specific. Rebooting the phone is a good idea. Updating to the latest apps, if one hasn't been doing that all along, is a good idea. If those things fail, try another app.

I've never had problems with Strava and I run deep in the mountains where there is absolutely zero cell coverage.

• crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a Nexus 7, without the phone/cell tower option. But I it did work in the past, so unsure why it isn't working now. I will try some of the suggestions.