superfoods

Options
dana435
dana435 Posts: 7 Member
can anyone let me know what foods are considered to be extremely healthy, or "superfoods"? I tend to find one particular thing and eat a lot of it so I want to know what fruits, veggies, or other snacks will have the least negative effects if I do happen to overeat. I've heard some great things about Saskatoon berries and blueberries?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superfoods

There is a list of pretty much all 'super foods' known to man. That said, I greatly dislike the term 'super food'. It usually refers to a foodstuff that is high in a specific micro nutrient, and I can pretty much guarantee you there are ten others just as high (or higher) in that specific micro nutrient that don't get the 'super food' label. Nothing miraculous about them, but they are handy as supplements if you are lacking.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm glad things don't all get the 'superfood' label, all it means is that the shops hike up the prices.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all fruits and veg, saving a few, have a lot of micronutrients. This is what usually gets the "superfoods" label.

But macros are important, too.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, Quinoa, Kale, and Spinach come to mind.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm all about kale. I planted it in my garden and apparently it goes all summer long (unlike lettuce). I'm always looking for new things to do with kale!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a "super food".
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No such thing. Variety is what's important. Eating habits can be changed if you want to. Train yourself to eat many different foods every day. Keep at least three different varieties of fruit and vegetables that you like in your home at any time.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are no foods that will not have negative effects if you over eat them. You can over eat and gain weight from eating any food.

If it's a "superfood" today someone will publish a study tomorrow saying how bad it is... :D