Eating out

Options
thabetq
thabetq Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys! So this is my first post, and trying to make sense of it.
I'm really enjoying how much this app can help with keeping track of fitness and nutrition, but I always seem to have a problem keeping track of what I eat when I eat outside. Any tips? Doesn't have to be exclusive to eating out. All tips are welcomes!

Replies

• nohaabdelbary14
    nohaabdelbary14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just remember the name of the thing you're eating, try to estimate the portion then look for the calories and if you can't find it in the app google it and if you can't find the calories ask for the recipe if you can or guess it ;) ... and if you feel it's too much for you to eat don't force yourself...i hope you find this useful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pick a restaurant with the nutritional information (calories) available online. Put them in the diary before you go.
    I try to pre-plan by logging all my food the day before . . .making allowances for modifications of course. Knowing a head of time what I will be eating makes thing easy.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Carry around snacks with you in your bag that won't go off, like some pork scratchings or a protein bar or something so that if you do want something to eat then at least you have the nutritional information and don't have to make a quick decision in a shop or like me, get tempted by bakeries!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I find it troubling as well ,but I ask what's on my food and try to calculate portions,I know it must be quite inaccurate but at least gives me an idea.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult, even the places that have nutrition info posted can be off. Chefs don't sit there and measure out everything, so you have to allow for human error. I try to get items that are baked, broiled, grilled or steamed and just try to input the individual ingredients.
    You have to learn to be ok with a margin of error, otherwise it can become a time consuming obsession.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eating out - it's nearly impossible to log accurately. Even the chain restaurants who have their info online - you don't know if the person making it added more butter than the info has or gave you a little more or whatever. They get busy, they fly through things and don't always stop and measure like the people who put the nutrition info together did.

Log your best guess from a similar restaurant.

It shouldn't make too much difference unless you eat out a lot. :)