Grip Strength - does it eventually improve?

Options
I've been starting to lift heavier weights (for me) the last 3 weeks and after each workout, my hands are shaking to the point that I can't sign my name and my forearms are aching. The weight itself feels fine in terms of my squats and presses, but my hands and forearms are killing me. Is this normal? Does it eventually go away or am I gripping incorrectly?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Grip strength does improve; mine has gone up quite a lot.

I guess it depends how you're gripping the weights? Are you using wrist straps, or wraps?
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You might want to try looking up different grip styles. Could be your grip is a little off but grip strength definitely improves as you lift.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Look into training your forearms/grip in isolation. Grab hold of a pull up bar and simply hang for as long as you are able. Another technique is to hang with an overhand grip, then switch one grip to underhand. Then switch the other so that both are underhand. Switch one back to overhand, and then the other. Just keep going through that motion until you can't hold on any longer. Also, hold heavy dumbbells at you sides go for a walk. Forearms are like abs and calves, resilient muscles that you have to blast the day lights out of in order to get them to respond, because they're used to working constantly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It will improve, so hang in there, no pun intended. I would stretch your forearms & hands throughout the day, to increase circulation & improve recovery. Not sure i'd recommend isolation grip training, since you're already working your grip plenty. The hands & forearms are easily prone to overuse injuries like tendonitis.

You shouldn't feel your grip that much on back squats. Did you mean dumbbell squats? Which program are you following?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    One of the slowest improving abilities, unfortunately. Give it time.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have terrible hand strength. Can't even open a previously opened jar most of the time. This is something that really holds me back in my lifting unfortunately :( Good luck!!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with grip too at my heavier lifts on my deads, my thumb just slips and then...it's gone! Where I used to struggle gripping 50kg I can now comfortably grip 70kg and just about do 5 reps at 75kg. It will improve but slowly.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It will improve. Don't forget to stretch your forearms out too. In addition to pull ups and farmers walks, I found that consistently using the rockclimbing wall and monkey bars at my gym really improved mine as well.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I just have to keep at it.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You can definitely work on grip strength as well as just keeping practicing. If you YouTube grip strengtheners it'll pull up videos. But simple stuff like tying a rubber band around your fingers and opening and closing them slowly will help. They also make jelly eggs that you can squeeze to work on grip strength, and climbers putty is pretty awesome. I know once I became a massage therapist and started working with my hands more I suddenly became the master of monkey bars, all because I had increased my grip strength.