1200 cals a day & exercising but not losing : (

Options
Hi guys, sorry if you have answered this questions 100 times before. I weigh 149 pounds & would like to loose 9 pound or so. I have been keeping to 1200 cals per day for weeks & also burning between 300 - 400 cals 5 days per week. I dont seem to be loosing very much weight : ( I have lost 5 pounds in about 10 weeks which is not really the effect I was looking for. I am going on holiday in 4 weeks & I am starting to panic that I won't fit into my holiday wardrobe. The exercise is helping me tone up but that seems about all. I am not eating my exercise cals because I relax a wee bit at the weekends so I am assuming they cover the alcohol & wee handfull of crisps. Please comment so I know where I am going wrong.

Replies

• laceylovespink
    Options
    what is a basic day of food for you? have you tried cutting the alcohol and crisps for a few weeks and decreasing cals to 1100? just trying to get a feel for what you eat...
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What's your BWI (body weight index)? maybe you're at your ideal weight now...just an idea.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    ok after reading this again...i think if you just went to water, increased your cardio and ate right for those two weeks your body would give up a few pounds...that is just my advice though...and alcohol does funny things to the body..lots of info on here about it :)
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    from what I understand you need to be eating your exercise calories. And I would cut out the alcohol and crisps for the 4 weeks you have left! Good luck!
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    It takes longer for someone your size to lose weight they say someone that is 200 pounds. Maybe you aren't eating enough calories. I was at a stand still, upped my calories but 100 and started losing again. Are you eating the right kinds of food? Staying under calories but consuming 2 much sodium, fat, etc will negatively affect your loss.

You should be eating your calories back. Not fueling your body enough will make it hold on to every thing and prevent you from losing. Are you drinking enough water? There are a lot of reasons why something might not be working. Everyone is different and you may need to tweak some things to figure out what works best for you.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    calories are daily, they can not be carried over to the weekend or for a special day
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You have such a little amount to lose, you should focus on toning more than the number on the scale. Did you take measurements when you started? If not, take them now. I also suggest eating back your exercise calories back ( There is a lot of controversy over this), but your body does need a certain amount of calories to function. It may sound crazy, but sometimes if you eat more you will lose.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories and your body has gone into starvation mode. You are probably really close to your goal weight and your body needs actually more calories than before to continue to lose. Your best bet is to write down your intake for a week and take it to a dietician or nutritionist even one at your local gym if they have one to help you with your last few pounds. Good luck
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would try eating back at least half of your exercise calories
  • southernbelle39
    Options
    Hey, I went through the same thing you're describing. Although I do weigh more than you I increased my calories to 1400-1500 a day and actually lost 3 pounds within a week after I had weighed the same for almost a month. I talked to a nurse about it and she said that at 1200 calories I could've been in starvation mode which inhibited me from losing any weight. Hope this helps!
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    it may be your "last 10 lbs" and if you've ever heard of those they ARE THE HARDEST to lose, so really intensify your cardio
  • GumballMachine
    Options
    I'd cut out the alcohol for a few weeks and see if that helps. Certainly couldn't hurt.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't fit into your schedule, BUT, when you are closer to your goal weight (only 10 or so pounds to lose) it is actually better to try to lose at the 1 to 0.5 pound per week rate. If you are exercising and only eating 1200 calories each day, you MAY be stalling your progress when you think you might be helping. Look at your "Total calories burned through daily activity" total on your goals page. Subtract 500. Eat however many calories net that is UNLESS it is less than 1200, then start there.
    Example ... Mine is 1800 ... so I should eat 1300 calories each day I don't exercise and if I exercise, eat AT LEAST half of THOSE calories back. So 1800 + 400 from exercise = 1300 + 200 from exercise (1500 calories) for that day. This is STILL a deficit of 700 calories. (which is more than a pound a week, btw.) But easier for your body to work with without going "Holy Crap what does she want from me for nothing?"
    I don't know what your totals would be without looking at your numbers, but the 1200 calories is the minimum you should be taking in each day.
    I am NOT an expert, and these are suggestions, not orders... :) BUT keep in mind, if you are asking your body to work hard and not giving it the fuel it needs to do the job without worrying about where it is going to find the resources to do what your are asking it to do, it gets passive aggressive. Body say, "You want me to do it? OK I will do it, but you want me to let go of my 'stash' so you can do it? No way!"
    I hope it helps and good luck!
  • LindsayWingate
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. On an average day I ate a smoothie for breakfast = 144 calories (contains 2 pieces of fruit), Morning snack - banana, lunch Salad (all varities) = between 250 - 350 depending on salad choice, afternoon snack if required 2 rivita fruit crunch = 110 cals, dinner can varies usually red meat & veg or chicken & salad sometimes with pitta bread or potatoes to keep me fuller for longer. Sometimes have a go ahead biscuit for snack before bed but no har & fast rules there! Always east between 1200 - 1300 calories a day & as I said burn between 300 - 400 calories 5 days a week in the gym. Drink gallons on cold water with no sugar diluting juice & hot water with lemon all day.

I have seen that you are supposed to eat your execise calories but I just dont see how i can eat that much & lose weight. I have dietied in the past & am normally hungry etc before the weight comes off but I am determined not to restrict myself that much because it just goes back on the second your plane lands in your holiday resort ha ha. I am worried that I wont lose anymore & i will be miserable on holiday.
  • LindsayWingate
    Options
    P.S. I dont drink alot of alcohol maybe a glass or two of wine 2 evenings per week & the crisps was only an example I just mean a wee nibble of something in the evenings at the weekend. Its hard to know what to do!!!! When I have used WW to lose weight it works but just comes right back on again when you start to eat normally!

I know i dont have loads to lose but I do carry alot on my stomach which changes my whole body shape! grrr
  • mzthiknez
    mzthiknez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    1st and foremost .... Alcohol is whats packing the weight back on you or should I say whats not allowing it to go anywhere... and Im not sure if u answered this already but what foods are u eating and what kind of exercises are u doing? Is there anywhere in particular on your body that u are trying to lose the weight or is it just in general that u want to drop the 9lbs.... ? Add me...
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ok after reading this again...i think if you just went to water, increased your cardio and ate right for those two weeks your body would give up a few pounds...that is just my advice though...and alcohol does funny things to the body..lots of info on here about it :)

Lots of good feedback in the replies you have received so far. I truly believe in the importance of what we eat and how we eat it. We need to eat good things, eat them slowly, and enjoy them. And we don't need the good things in large amounts. That's really the beauty of it. I also believe as this poster said that alcohol does funny things to the body, especially when it's going through changes. Eat high quality food, enjoy the adventure, keep exercising and good things will happen. Maybe also give Michael Pollan's "Food Rules" a read. It certainly was an eye-opener for me. Good luck!
  • LindsayWingate
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies ... ... still not too sure what to do! Some ppl suggesting eat some calories back, some suggesting up my cardio!!! I suppose time is not on my side now which is the most frustrating thing!

Why do bodies have to be soo confusing? I have always felt that I have a slow metabalism which is why I thought the exercise was good to speed it.

Good luck everyone with your weight goals : )
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    Why don't you try eating back at least 1/2 your exercise calories back for say, like a week, and see if that helps. If nothing happens, try upping your cardio for a week. It's all about experimenting to see what works best for your body.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are eating 1200-1300 a day, you're exercise cals 300-400 a day. that is leaving your body with less than 1000 cals a day to survive on...............you need to eat more