Need help staying away from sweets

Options
I cannot give up to sweets. It's becoming a daily habit and no matter how hard I try I always end up finding excuses. Help :(

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat sweets within the limits of your calorie and macronutritional goals.

Exercise a modicum of willpower.

Success.
  • hellobirdie_xo
    hellobirdie_xo Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stop buying them (as in don't keep them in the house / your desk etc.) & try and have another snack on hand for if you're hungry if you want to stop completely :) otherwise just fit them in your goals for the day!

I don't tend to eat sweets when i'm hungry, just because I want them, so stopping buying them was enough for me... if you decide to just limit how many you eat, make sure you buy a single serving... a share bag never gets shared ;)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    RaisaAida wrote: »
    I cannot give up to sweets. It's becoming a daily habit and no matter how hard I try I always end up finding excuses. Help :(

Set some short term goals in that regard.

There is no chemical need for table sugar. Take control.

It is fine to have a personal goal like yours no matter how many people tell you it is ok to eat doughnuts. It is for them. You are certainly allowed to have your own goals and plan.

I'm a low carb person but use sweet stuff on very specific occasions for energy. It is high octane fuel. In the middle of a long bike ride an Energy Gel is perfect.

Good luck with your plan. Give it your honest full effort.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If I have a bag of sweets in my house or on my desk I will eat them ALL - I can't stop at a few.
    So I just don't buy them, unless I really want them and have got calories left over for them, in which case I just buy a small child sized bag and savour them.
  • hellobirdie_xo
    hellobirdie_xo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I have a bag of sweets in my house or on my desk I will eat them ALL - I can't stop at a few.
    So I just don't buy them, unless I really want them and have got calories left over for them, in which case I just buy a small child sized bag and savour them.

ditto... they're the one thing I have no will power over! i found a 69 cal bag of jelly babies the other day, it's incredibly sad how happy it made me haha :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you can fit them into your calorie and macro goals (as in making sure you've reached fat and protein numbers), have some. Restricting completely can lead to bingeing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its nice if you can fit them into your calorie allowance, but I understand its not always possible to eat them in moderation, especially at the beginning. As you are having such difficulty, then I would not buy them in the first place. You need to change your mindset and focus on the fact you want to lose more than you want candy. Do you?

The suggestion you get some short term goals is a good one and from there you cna focus and achieve some targets which will show you that you cna lose weight, which should reinforce the idea its worthwile.

Take responsibility for what you eat.
    Moderation works for many so have smaller packs of sweets.
    Find a lower calorie alternative that gives you most of the hit.

After a while the cravings will be less. Looking after the rest of your diet so you arent hungry will help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you can fit them into your calorie and macro goals (as in making sure you've reached fat and protein numbers), have some. Restricting completely can lead to bingeing.

This. Obviously you don't want to binge on them, so you have 2 options... either never eat them again or eat them in moderation. Just figure out which of those you are ok with.

Not gonna lie, I would be at my goal if I didn't eat them, but giving them up is not an option, they make me happy. So I fit them in... I just tend to stick to chocolate or ice cream as I can have 100 or 200 calories worth instead of 400+ calories desserts. Those I just have once in a while. And I eat less bread and rice or pasta to fit them in. Truth is, I'd rather have 5 extra pounds (still way within the normal weight range) than giving them up.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try some low calorie options. I love popsicles in the summer, or Greek yogurt bars. Most are around or less that 100 cal. I keep some hard candies at work & gum if I need something. Jello has some pudding cups that are 60 cal. But I also still buy Oreos & just make room for the calories at the end of the day! You can learn to adjust if you try!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If I eat sweets I crave sweets. Try giving then up for 24 hours and see if the craving subsides.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't keep sweets in my apt., but if I'm craving something, I'll go to the store and buy a little individual something (not a box). You can still get your sweets craving met, but just in moderation/size. I'm a big fan of frozen green grapes. They are delicious and a great frozen snack for summer! Sort of like munching on ice cream, but with a lot less calories! ;)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Find something you like equally as well that is healthier. I personally do not buy the foods I have a problem controlling especially sweets. If I don't have them I wont eat them. One oreo? Forget it, I'll end up eating the entire bag.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it. I know I have little self control with cereal, peanut butter, ice cream, and chocolate. I rather keep these things out the house so I can focus on the bigger picture.
  • tylskie
    tylskie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to your sugar addiction as it is a problem I share. I find a lot of it is impulse. I totally agree with everyone that the first step us not buying it. But even then sometimes it is a challenge. Something that helps me is, every time I get a craving for something sweet, I pour myself a large glass of water. It allows me time to separate between the craving and the way my body feels. Generally at the bottom of a slowly drunk glass of water, I will feel that the craving has deminished. It is just a psychological trick but it helps me.
  • Lynn625
    Lynn625 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    To control my cravings for sweets, I have to also stop eating white bread, rice, pasta. I do indulge in some daily dark chocolate.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't buy them. Make good choices in the grocery store and you'll make good choices at home. :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wicked sweet tooth here. To minimize the chance that you will indulge -

- Don't buy them, or if you do buy small quantity - frequently only the first few bites really matter.
    - If you have them in the house, put them in a place you don't happen upon them in your normal path.
    - Stay well hydrated.
    - Stay well fed especially with fats and proteins because they hold hungar at bay longer than carbs.
    - If you have a mad craving, don't allow a sweet until you drink water, eat something with great nutrients and wait a half hour.
    - If you want to kill a craving try brushing teeth or gargling.
    - If it is time for a sweet still, have a half portion.
    - Decide you'll have some another time, but not right now and go do something engrossing.
    Those are my tricks!
    -
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: know yourself!

I can't be stopped when it comes to certain sweets like oreos, peanut butter cups, any small cookie, and a few more things, so I've had to cut them out entirely. Seriously; last time I bought peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's, I ate the whole box in two days!

With things that don't send me into a frenzy, I try to practice moderation. If I have a craving, I'll assess based on my calorie goals from the past week and decide if I should reward myself with some delicious processed sugar. So I don't get sugar-happy, I love having individually packaged ice creams around to help manage my portions. I love ciao bella mini gelato cups, skinny cow frozen anything (it's all delicious), fruit popsicles, and mochi. I also keep a bag of frozen bananas (where browning bananas are spared) which taste like ice cream...almost!