Dabbling First Time in Protein Powder: Brands?

Options
Just bought a small container of Manitoba Harvest organic hemp powder. Haven't tried it yet. Not looking to bulk or replace meals. I just like smoothies and experimenting with different ways to get nutrition. Anyway been reading up cause there are so many brands and varieties and so much science to it all. I read that whey or cassien concentrates or isolates are best for your buck, so interested to try that. I want one that is simple though. Preferably organic. I don't mind flavored, plain is fine too cause i'd prob add stuff, but I don't want sugar, fake sugar, stevia or other additives. Seems like all the ones at Whole Foods had stevia or some sweetener plus other stuff except the Manitoba Harvest. Just wondering if anyone knows a good, organic dairy-based brand that is just simple and unsweetened. Or if you've tried Manitoba Harvest.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is pretty good.

MyProtein has had quite a lot of good reviews lately. Thinking of buying some.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Optimum Nutrition is pretty good, though I haven't tried the products yet myself.

My absolute favorite protein is Trutein. I've been ordering from them for a couple years now. They have all kinds of flavors, all of which are DELICIOUS. It has whey, casein and egg protein and low sugars. And again, it tastes amazing. AND they have protein pudding, which is also surprisingly tasty!! If you're looking for an all-natural thing, they have an all natural vegan protein called Gardenia - I haven't had that one because I'm not interested in trying it, but it might work for you. What's neat about bodynutrition is that they have samples of their products for $1.99, so you can try it first, which I appreciate as a customer who'd much rather NOT spend $40 on something I may or may not like, so that's pretty cool.

Hope you find something you like that works for you! :)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    While these aren't organic and definitely not sugar free, I am a fan of Dymatize, Muscle Milk and Body Fortress. Whey and cassien will be the most effective brands. You may want to look into Quest. I know they are low in sugar and you can cook with them too.

Also, protein shakes don't make you bulk. It's just a supplement for protein. It's literally just an avenue for more protein.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I really like Terra's grass fed whey - it's organic and tastes great.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Quest Peanut Butter is really awesome and has great macros. The chocolate is okay and I have not tried the vanilla.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. There are so many out there it helps to have a couple of specific names to try. I tried the Manitoba today. It is not a good flavor all by itself, but blended with fruits, chocolate, milk, etc that becomes a non issue. Was very filling too, which is what I'm after. Still I'll be interested to experiment with these others. Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the info. There are so many out there it helps to have a couple of specific names to try. I tried the Manitoba today. It is not a good flavor all by itself, but blended with fruits, chocolate, milk, etc that becomes a non issue. Was very filling too, which is what I'm after. Still I'll be interested to experiment with these others. Thanks!

One of the inherent problems you might run into, in order to get a good tasting protein shake, is that you have a lot of limiting factors (organic, no sugar and no sweetners). If you removed some of those, you will find a lot more brands that will address your protein needs.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Quest Peanut Butter is really awesome and has great macros. The chocolate is okay and I have not tried the vanilla.
    ive had all three, currently finishing off a tube of the peanut butter, my thoughts are that vanilla is best , chocolate in close second. peanut flavour is good though I cant get over the smell everytime time I open the tub\.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use IsoPure zero carb unflavored. I would rather add it to something that already has flavor than deal with it changing the flavor of what it's added to. It's quite good.
  • 1234anna1234
    1234anna1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vega is great, but expensive.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    MTS Whey(you'll thank me later).

Cellucor is another good shout out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of the Manitoba Harvest organic hemp powder, I use the Manitoba Harvest Organic Hemp Seeds because they are less processed. I also use the seeds for other dishes/foods.
  • emilialaurena
    emilialaurena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beverly International UMP protein powder has been the best/my favorite hands down