how do you distract yourself from eating?

Options
I am a boredom eater, and a stress eater. I can do really good for a few days, then I have a few bad days and feel like my work is being wasted. I am constantly snacking because I feel like I'm hungry all the time. Recommended portions do not feel filling to me. I am just having a hard time lately, I guess.

Replies

• sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    I just write a lot and get my feelings out about why I want to eat and etc. I also tend to read a lot when I'm stressed...that way I do not eat.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Get some water and a straw. Also cut up some crunchy veggies like carrot sticks, cucumber, bell pepper, fennel, apple, pears.
  • Smfjbegaye
    Smfjbegaye Posts: 2
    Options
    Thats me too :/ I have the same issues with eating and falling off the wagon. I havent figured it out yet so Im just as curious as you!
  • NurdCore
    NurdCore Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    water is your best friend when you find yourself snacking too much, it works for me like a charm. There are some times that even the water won't cut it and I still know that I don't need to snack, so i will walk around the block, or get involved in a video game. I manage to forget all about snacking after a while.
  • swissmardi
    swissmardi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know this... I was feeling like that the other day. I just wanted to eat for eating sake. What stopped me is that I didn't want to log the calories... Ha!

I find that when I want to eat it's often an emotion that I'm trying to cover up OR I'm procrastinating about something. If I do what I'm procrastinating about, then it's fine, the hunger goes away.

Also a good walk outside does WONDERS! Just getting out of the house. Or I'll do something creative. That helps, too.

You are more then welcome to friend me if you'd like. That also helps - my friends here on mfp.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    Yes I was/am the same way. I have found that before I even touch my food, I literly drink a full glass of water as fast as I can and get a second glass ready. that way you have something in your belly with no food yet. then I start to eat the smaller portions I try to take a mouth full, and then literly put down my eating utensil completely finish chewing and take a drink. then go through it again. if you get in the habit of putting down your silverware and getting a drink before every bite, it will take you longer to eat the smaller portion and actaully you will feel more full on the smae lower amount of food. so far this has worked for me, best of luck!
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I just CHOOSE what I eat! Turkey Kerkey and plenty of fresh veggies in the house!!! Plus, a 16 oz glass of zero cal lemonade works for me! Really cuts the hunger...
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad days, you are not alone. Although I've never had an addiction like alcohol or anything, I think that dieting is harder because you have to eat to live so you can't do cold turkey. Giving up previous eating habits is soooo hard to do on a long term basis, because you have to continue to eat.

To distract myself, I do a number of things:

1. Shopping, particularly clothes shopping, or even just trying things on that I have no intention of buying. When you find something in a size that you wouldn't have fitted into previously, it just feels so good.

2. Exercise, although that doesn't always work if you are ravenous at the start - I've spent an entire walk thinking about what I'm going to eat when I get home.

3. Having a friend round for coffee (no cakes obviously)

4. Hoovering & ironing - not sure why this works, but it does!

5. I have a hobby (photography) - going out and doing that helps. I guess any sort of creative hobby would be a distraction.

6. Reading magazines with a big mug of coffee/ tea

7. Reading forum posts on MFP!

Hope this helps!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time with this laptop on my lap to keep my fingers busy.... and I drink water like its my job! But sometimes I feel the need to snack. I log everything BEFORE I eat it.... so I can usually talk myself out of it when I see the calories allowed number shrinking...
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I know what you mean! For me it took the decision to look into other interests and make a point of finding new hobbies to occupy me. I took up interesting crafts and learned simple musical instruments. Once I found a few that I loved I could go to them when I needed to distract me.

So think about some new things you'd like to learn: cake decorating, candle making, beading, painting, guitar???? Just start small, no pressures and see where it takes you. If it is boring move on to a different one and keep trying. Life can get boring and stressfull so it is nice to have a relaxing outlet. It will serve you your whole life as well as now.

Best of Luck - I think you can do it!
    :heart:
  • keschuh79
    keschuh79 Posts: 29
    Options
    Sugar free gum! Not as delicious as your favorite snack items I'm sure, but it keeps your mouth busy and most sticks are only 5 calories. And brushing your teeth works too. I never want to eat after I've gotten that minty fresh taste in my mouth.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    Yup, get out off the house and do some light excersize. Sunshine and feel good endorphines do wonders. Then if you're still hungry, you just earned yourself some calories baby!
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    Hey!

I know what you mean! For me it took the decision to look into other interests and make a point of finding new hobbies to occupy me. I took up interesting crafts and learned simple musical instruments. Once I found a few that I loved I could go to them when I needed to distract me.

So think about some new things you'd like to learn: cake decorating, candle making, beading, painting, guitar????

Ha ha ha ha:laugh: sorry, but if I took up cake decorating I'd just eat it all!
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    cleaning and laundry... get some apps on your phone that you have to use your brain for. I have andriod market and I got Wordzup.. works great for me!
  • girlontheseesaw
    Options
    Water. Fills your belly.
    Carrot sticks. Gives you something to pick at.
    Exercise. Takes your mind off it, but also earns you the calories so you *can* eat.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this today! I am absolutely starving today and I have had about 80 oz of water already and still feel famished. I have about 560 calories left for the rest of the day. I should go for a walk and see if that helps.
  • ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! So far I do spend a lot of time reading and online to distract myself but maybe a creative hobby would help! I think I'll go to Hobby Lobby next weekend to browse and pick out something fun to work on.
  • bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    Options
    gum
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Read, Write, Walk, Play video game.. Drink water if you feel hungry if it isnt time to eat yet. Keep almonds in the house if your not allergic to nuts, eat a handful and drink a glass of water to satisfy your hunger. Lean on your mfp family.. you can do this hun.. :)
  • belindar1962
    belindar1962 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am exactly the same way best i have found through the years is 2 things number one i read my bible or pray or both and the next best thing is to get up and exercise . when i exercise it relieves stress . i also found if i pick up my laptop and facebook or something like that it keeps me occupied and i am not thinking about food. also water and lots of it kills the cravings