RN ready to get in shape

Options
Hello Everyone! I am new here and could use (and am willing to give!) support in starting up my fitness and weight loss plan! I am a 25 year old nurse and spent the last year yo-yoing due to medical problems (I've had to keep 4 different pants sizes on hand). I want to get healthy and sustain it. I work long and unusual hours, so its always an uphill battle to stay motivated. If anyone has any advice to offer, it would be much appreciated :) Good luck to all!

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi RN -- NP here!
    I understand your struggles... now its time to focus on you for once! :)
    Friend me if you would like! :)
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Welcome - RN Case Manager here! Friend me if you like! You're gonna love it here! :drinker:
  • dinahmite425
    Options
    FLOAT POOL RN OF 8 YEARS WELCOME ADD ME ON FACEBOOK DINAH BLACKBARBIEFIT PIERSON
  • nstorlie
    nstorlie Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi! I'm an RN as well. I got my license in February and I work as an HIV/AIDS public health nurse. I started using this application on my iPhone 3 weeks ago. Now that I am finally out of nursing school I have some time to spend on ME! I've lost 17 lbs since Christmas and 8 pounds in the time I have been using this.

Nice to see nurses on here! Please friend me as well. Sometime I wish I was a hospital RN just so I could run off some of this school weight. Or just eat more! :)

Nicole
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    Congratulations! I can attest that being a hospital RN has done nothing for my diet. I don't get regular breaks or the chance to eat every shift. Or even drink water sometimes since we can't keep it on the unit. I actually lost weight and had a better diet when I worked in a nursing home.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    NP here, welcome! Feel free to friend me. You will love this site.
  • coolani
    coolani Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am an RN and am new to this site. It is great for nurses to support each other. Working in a hospital and long hours does make it hard to meet all of our wellness goals and stay in shape. I am TRYING to start a 20 minute walking group. My group of nurses rarely even takes a lunch so I thought this might help. Woudl that work for you? Is there a blog for nurse on this site I wonder?
  • blaseyly
    blaseyly Posts: 26
    Options
    Welcome :D
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm a RN in San Antonio, but for the last 9 years have owned a business from home with Melaleuca with my hubby. THUS, I SIT in front of the computer often which lead to the weight I'm at now! MyFitNessPal has been totally awesome! Goal is to be 20 lbs lighter when we head for our convention in August!

Feel free to add me. I'm WealthtoHealthTeam on Facebook and BizNurse here!!!

Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
  • Robinson72
    Robinson72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am an RN as well...our stories are simular and it has really been a struggle for me but I love this sight and you will be fine.
    Send me a friend request I would loveto join in with you on this journey.
  • m12brown
    m12brown Posts: 51
    Options
    Welcome! I am an RN as well. 6 years ago I traded in my tennis shoes for dress shoes and started working in an EICU. I immediately put on weight and have yo-yo'ed throughout the years and am trying to get myself in check now. Feel free to add me :) Best of luck on your journey!
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work as a clinical research coordinator so although I'm not a nurse I work with patients quite a bit and have pretty long workdays as well. It's difficult to keep from snacking when you're tired from working so long, but I'm trying to head that off by packing healthy snacks ahead of time and getting plenty of sleep.

I hope your medical issues have gotten better now... I can sympathize since I have hypothyroidism and have a hard time losing weight and waking up early to workout is difficult. Feel free to friend me if you want to help motivate each other :)
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WOw----another rn here....yup. 12 hour nights does NOT DO A BODY gOOD!!!!!!!
    I think we are so busy caring for others that we clearly forget ourselves......
    To the EICU rn
    i was an EICU rn here in maine for 2 years ( 24 hours a week), but i missed the unti too much, so now back to the 36 hour grind in the scu......
    Maybe we could form a group and do some challenges, share some insights and really support each other....
    Who's in???
    christine in maine
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    RN here as well, I work in Emergency.. thank god it's day shift, but still 0700-1930 makes for long days, we're lucky to get our breaks (most of the time) and we're allowed to have water! I think it's really strange that wherever you work they don't allow you to drink ? that's crazy.

unfortunately, we also having a nursing station that often has snacks and sweets that someone has "so kindly' brought in to share

grrr. when you're busy and starving waiting for your lunch break it's so hard not to just snack on whatever's lying around!

also, i find it very hard to get motivated to exercise after work.. I usually don't, and instead just try to get in some good quality exercise on my days off.

looks like there's lots of us in the same boat as you! So you'll def. find support here!
  • Lizziehunter
    Options
    Hi all!!
    There's lots of us nurses about :)
    I work 12.5 hr shifts and the whole food thing and work do not go.
    I don't know about everyone else but i barely find time to eat at work and then when i get home i'm starving and tired and make the wrong choices.
    My plan to combat this is to be more organised ( well try to) and plan better for food when i get home and hopefully that will help.
  • biznurse
    biznurse Posts: 81
    Options
    I think waking up early is all about Mental..... or for me it was..... I really had to make a DECISION. I think MFP reallhy helped me see that.....
  • rosepetals88
    Options
    Lots of RN's here! Add me to that list - welcome! :)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to that! Add on night shifts and not sleeping well and the weight is like a magnet! I have been trying really hard to bring my food with me and aim to eat a small something every 3 hours or so. I also use the iphone app (but they have them for different phones too) and switched my food times for bfast/lunch/dinner and snacks to time of day increments. This helps with confusion of is 0700 a new day for calories or the same day because it is dinner time to me. Good luck to you! This site does work if you stick with it!
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    hi all.....
    anyone interested in a nurses challenge???
    maybe a 6 week weigh in AND skinny jean/bikini/what have you to try on when you weigh in....?
    i will also post this with a post to the whole web site.......
  • mpzotter
    mpzotter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BSN nursing school senior here. Working through the summer at the VA doing an externship in the ICU. School and stress suck. Several of my classmates are on here as well. I think its a struggle for all!