Avocados

Options
I know avocados are high in fat and calories...and the carbs are meh...but I know they are super good for you...
Is it worth all the calories and fat???
I love avocados but why are they so high in fat/calories
What do you guys think about avocados?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think they're gross. :smile:
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I could eat them right out of the skin with a spoon :*
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 a week. Yummy!
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I could eat them right out of the skin with a spoon :*

Yes! I had one last night with tuna :smiley:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Avocados are not that high in fat or calories.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ohh with salt sprinkled on top? OMBOMNOMNOM!

Oh and they are high in fat and kcal cause they are bred that way. Artificial selection FTW
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Love, LOVE avocados. Pretty sure I could live on guacamole if I had to. This is a new recipe, so I can't vouch for the taste yet (but what's not to love?) but this is what I'm making for my side with dinner tonight: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/04/obsessively-good-avocado-cucumber-salad/
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Avocado half + roasted sweet potato = heaven on a plate (ymmv).
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love avocados! I eat them regularly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They are delicious and if I have a ripe one and the calories to eat it, I will.
    Mgtei wrote: »
    Avocado half + roasted sweet potato = heaven on a plate (ymmv).

I've never done this. Do you just smash it all up together?
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I just eat only half one day and the other half the next to cut the fat count. And really if you want to eat the whole thing go ahead, it's not the avocados that's causing the country's health crisis.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I love avocados. In fact, I brought one to work today. Half in the a.m. for snack, the other half in the p.m. I find them really, really satisfying. I think it depends on how you view fat. Some people are on the low-fat diet, so that may not work. I am trying to avoid processed foods, so something natural like an avocado works just fine. (And again, I find them so luxuriously satisfying, which is great!) Plus, the fat they have -- it's called monounsaturated--is really good for your heart.

So I am on the avocado train!
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat a small avocado 5 times a week. They come 5 to a bag and are pretty small. No, I don't weigh them. Still losing 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week.
  • jmrojas86
    jmrojas86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocado = healthy fats like omega 3s that help reduce your LDL cholesterol levels and decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease. Unlike saturated fats found in animal products increase your risk of heart disease.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    They are high in the good fat. I, too, eat them out of the skin.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eat one with lunch almost every day. I find that they help keep me fuller longer which is awesome so I can avoid getting hangry around 4pm!
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I eat half of one almost every day. I think they are totally worth it. They are delicious and they keep me full. They make a great alternative to salad dressing, mayonnaise, etc.
  • arsenbedzhanov
    arsenbedzhanov Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent Substitution for mayo or butter. I personally when on a low carb diet make it a staple. Just make sure it fits into your caloric goals. Typically it's a better source of fat then 95 percent of everything else out there, loaded with phytochemicals and micronutrients make it dense, satisfies hunger, and provides excellent omega 3
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I think they're gross. :smile:

+1

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    *LOVE* avocado! I chop a small one and stir in salt, pepper and chipotle flavored tabasco. I usually eat it with a 100 calorie sandwich flat by making two mini tacos.