I've put weight on!

Options
Ive gained some of the weight I've lost recently. I am finding it abit hard to maintain my fitness and keep the weight off, does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to read this thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    It is still in the message board. The first 3 pages have excellent advice, some later too but there are some "extraneous" postings you will have to sift through.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale?
    do you log everything?
    are you eating back 100% of exercise calories, assuming you do MFP method?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    How much weight? If it's only 3-5 pounds I wouldn't worry too much. Weight can fluctuate from day to day. If you are eating too much. Try decreasing your calories by 100 and see if it helps.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calories when you are at a deficit, you just stop loosing weight. If you do that when you're maintaining, you gain. So it's even more important to log everything very, very accurately. Pats of butter. Spoonfuls of cookie dough. A few chips. And get your portion sizes correct.
  • staceynewman13
    staceynewman13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have stopped doing the login but I'm starting back. I think I went too relaxed. I've put in about 5 pounds. I lost 1 stone 9 pound in total.. I wasn't big anyway but wasn't comfortable. I'm not a size 10/12 but find it abit hard to eat good every day. Thank you for your input guys
  • staceynewman13
    Options
    My calorie intake is 1450 but I tried to eat a 1000 a day. Should I aim for 100 lower so 1350 and see if that helps?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to relax a little too much and put on a little. I think your idea of logging again is a good one.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet - I still have 20 pounds to go - but I'm fully reconciled to two points. 1) It will always be important to log what I eat, lest my inner four year old go wild and want three lattes, and two pastries, and a bowl of rice each and every day. Knowledge is power, and I expect to always need to pay attention to the choices I make.

2) Recomposition happens, although that's much trickier because there's the "can't recomp at a deficit" issue. I'll get to the number I want, then adjust as I develop the body I want.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You have to pay attention to what you eat even in maintenance. I have a system. I cut from Mar-Sept and let myself eat it back from Oct-Feb. I know my eating will not be as good when the holiday food comes out so I compensate months in advance. I am always trying to make better choices but it seems like all the choices in the holiday season are a little worse than they are over the summer.
  • staceynewman13
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your comments it's motivated me! I've exercised today and eaten better, so along with the comments feel as if I can do it all again! Thank you so much
  • bivski
    bivski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you working out or just dieting? If you are working out it could be muscle.
  • staceynewman13
    Options
    That is true I totally forgot! I have an exercise bike, but my diet has been abit rubbish. I'm starting fresh today!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is 1450 but I tried to eat a 1000 a day. Should I aim for 100 lower so 1350 and see if that helps?

Just curious ... is the 1450 your TDEE? 1000 calories a day seems awfully low ... unless you're 4'8" or shorter. Were you cutting for a show or competition?

If 1450 is your TDEE then I think a good start is to strive for at least 1200 a day. HOWEVER, the introduction of additional calories has to be done so over a period of time back to your TDEE not over it. I'd suggest reading up on the hows of reverse dieting to help you work your way back up to your TDEE without gaining fat ... read this

Here's an excerpt:
    "There are a few reasons to implement a reverse diet. The most common is to bring calories (and strength) back up to a healthy and sustainable level after a prolonged weight-loss diet. Whether you are a bodybuilder who has implemented a restricted diet to achieve low levels of body fat, a competitive athlete who cut calories in order to qualify for a weight class, or someone who has simply been on an extended weight-loss plan for aesthetic benefit ... For the majority of individuals, maintaining an extremely low-calorie diet is not sustainable for long-term health, happiness, and function."

And if you don't know your TDEE I'd suggest get a more accurate idea of where it should be based on your height, weight, and level of activities using any of the calculators out there. This one is my personal go to HERE because it gives a guideline on macros.

Also, as others has mentioned, calorie is not a calorie. 250 calorie in a donut is not equal to 250 calorie in a lean turkey sandwich topped with layers of leafy greens. (think of the difference in the macro nutrient ... yes total calorie wise it's the same # but nutrition wise VERY different) just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck to you!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    That is true I totally forgot! I have an exercise bike, but my diet has been abit rubbish. I'm starting fresh today!

you are not gaining muscle riding an exercise bike and eating 1400 calories a day….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have stopped doing the login but I'm starting back. I think I went too relaxed. I've put in about 5 pounds. I lost 1 stone 9 pound in total.. I wasn't big anyway but wasn't comfortable. I'm not a size 10/12 but find it abit hard to eat good every day. Thank you for your input guys

this is your problem right here.

start logging everything and using a food scale.